TV's - Plasma or LCD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wully

Car
2002 W203 C220 CDI Avantgarde SE Auto
I have the chance to purchase a Samsung TV from the following list and i'm looking for some advice, never purchased one before so.....

37” LCD TV (LE37A436)
40” LCD TV (LE40A436)

42” PLASMA TV (PS42A457)
50” PLASMA TV (PS50A457)

Any thoughts?

Forget Plasma as it an obsolete technology. LCD is, at the mo, the best.

LCD + digital tv is great. Even better with a Blue Ray player as well.

I've had a Samsung LCD for the last 2 1/2 years and it's been absolutley faultless. My only advice would be make sure you get one to fit the proportions of your room and the seating position. Bigger is not always better!!

What are you going to be mainly watching (ie what's the source)?

Get the biggest you can afford / fit.

If your buying Samsung or any other brand apart from Pioneer then yes go for LCD. Only Pioneer Plasmas are worth buying over LCD due to the picture quality.

Definitely go for LCD. My Samsung 40" LCD, which i have had for 1 1/2 years has had no problems.

Last edited:
I would say go for what YOU like,

We can only really tell you what we like / have bought but you may not like them.

"Get the biggest you can afford / fit." .... Don't agree as you have to consider distance viewing. No point having a 50" TV and sitting only a few feet away it will look poor.

Try to view them and ask to view standard TV, Sky HD, Blueray.

I was blownaway watching a blueray on our new TV.... (a 1080p Sony)

ive being told lcd is the way to go they will last longer so i got one myself its only a 32 inch i got a beko it wasnt the best so i changed it i got a lg one its great i have my pc on it aswell plasma ones give trouble evenyually

"Get the biggest you can afford / fit." .... Don't agree as you have to consider distance viewing. No point having a 50" TV and sitting only a few feet away it will look poor.

That's why I said get the biggest that will fit; I would include viewing distance when considering if it would fit.

No point having a 50" TV and sitting only a few feet away it will look poor.

Not strictly true - high definition output from the PS3 looks amazing on our 42", right up to the screen. For gaming I typically sit no further than 5' away so I can see all the detail. I would prefer a bigger screen.

That's why I said get the biggest that will fit; I would include viewing distance when considering if it would fit.

I'm sure when I got mine there was some kind of distance to screen size conversion chart available to help choose the optimum screen size.

As above, it also depends what signal you are feeding the TV and what you're using it for.

My Sony 40" LCD is awesome in HD!!!!

Bloomin awful off plain old analogue though so yes, you need to think what you're going to be watching!

LCD

Plasma was good for for big screens but LCD has pretty much caught up. Check the black/white contrast, cuz of the technology the black on an LCD can be 'no so' black as it were (lcd technology basically requires backlighting to display colours whreas plasma generates light so black = off). I'm sure that i'm techically inaccurate somewhere along the line but thats pretty much the gist of it. With saying that i have a philips 42" LCD where the contrast isn't that good compared to the others but it looks fine to me.

Costco had some wicked deals on Panasonic 37" LCD's a few months back, maybe they still do.

I would also go for 1080p resolution, rather than 1080i or anything lower for that matter, if and when you get a blu-ray player or use HD you will (probably) notice the difference, with saying that mine is 1080p and I havn't wathched a thing that justifies the additional expense...yet.

I have the 37" model

Get the 40" - if I had had the money I would have

SD performance is okay - both these are NOT Full HD models from what I know though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom