TV's - Plasma or LCD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Panasonic recommend LCD up to 37" and Plasma beyond that. If you get a massive LCD watch a fast moving action and you will see the difference over a massive plasma....plasma track much better....

Only way to tell is go and see........everyone will have their favourites usually based on their personal decisions..

If you get a massive LCD watch a fast moving action and you will see the difference over a massive plasma....plasma track much better....

I haven't got a plasma to compare it to, but I promise that fast action from the PS3 is smooth & clean on my 42" LCD ... even viewed from a couple of inches away!

Snooker is actually a good test of screen refresh.
And I admit Plasma does beat LCD in that one area.

Size does matter.

I was looking at a small cottage the other day - front room was about 9' x 9'. The TV must have been about 60" and looked ridiculous!

This post seems a bit one sided.
I have a 50 inch pioneer which is used for watching films and an lcd that gets used for our xbox360 , ps3 and wii.

When playing games the lcd rocks, when watching films the plasma kills the lcd.

This argument can and will go on for ever... its one of those taste things.
My 42 Panasonic Vierra plasma is great, but then so is my dads 37 Samsung LCD. However my dad who's eyesight is "average" claims he can't tell much difference when it comes to watching HD ( I mean there is, its just his eyes don't pick up on it that easily.)

Horses for courses, my advice is go to a shop and pick a one you like, and will look good in your room.

Looking at the list, I presume that you have an old cathode ray tube tele.
So go for the largest that you can afford/or that will fit in your room.
This is because whatever size you think is large now once you get it home and start watching it regularly it will become normal. As stated before up to 40" go for LCD, larger Plasma, especially if you watch sport or fast moving films.
Ps saw a 50" plasma in John Lewis yesterday for £795, getting cheap as chips.

Dont go above 40" for LCD the technology just is not there yet and Plasma is better, Fine if viewed straight on but from angles very poor. There are only a few manufacturers of LCD panels Samsung & LG are the market leaders, Sharp have the best reputation for picture quality particularly 1080p panels. Stay away from Sony & Panasonic LCD panel life is less than that of a Plasma (5 years). Used to work in this Industry and if you can wait until January you will get some real bargains as most of the manufacturers over produce for Christmas and then sell off straight after last january you could by just a 37" panel (Screen) from LG for £99 + VAT

Here is my input and suspect very few will agree with me:cool:
I don't like LCD or Plasma TV's.
My views are based on Standard definition (SD) transmissions only, HD is fine.
I have not seen on LCD or Plasma TV produce a good picture with a SD source!
On static images the picture is fine, good on graphics as well but when something moves OMG! fringing, I mostly see it on peoples heads around backgrounds, there is a shimmering, awful.
Granted I have not seen many ultra new TV's and I've viewed most in the 'sheds' Comet, Curry's, Tesco etc they don't have the best reputation for setting up TV's but every one I've seen in peoples houses, yuck!
I'm still watching a 15 year old Philips Matchline CRT TV, no LCD or PLasma TV comes near.
I watch mainly SD sometimes DVD so when my beloved Phillips goes Boobs up, good knows what I'll do, I might just get a cheap CRT like I did for the bedroom 2 years ago, Philip's again ! 28" widesceen £200 and still better than any LCD, PLasma.:rolleyes:

There ya go.

Last edited:
Totally agree with AAndYY neither LCD or Plasma can match a CRT flatscreen for quality on a standard definition source, Modern technology is not always better :)

Our Sharp LCD (42", 1080p) gives an excellent picture with most of the mainstream Freeview channels. Only a few of the more obscure ones appear 'blocky' close up (from normal viewing distance they are OK).

We had a Panasonic 28" CRT before.

I've got a Samsung LCD, and I'm very happy with the picture and sound quality. The digital tuner is a bit slow, and I'm not convinced by the build quality because when I bought it the analogue tuner didn't work (not needed, but it shouldn't have been broken), and I found out yesterday that the PC monitor function doesn't work either.

PJ

ever try the lsd telly with mind blowing colors mind bending sound & you can watch 4 films at the same time .all you need is a good dealer :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom