Twin turbo C36

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep the old Bird's one.

500bhp from an old 3.6 lump seems unlikely in any reliable form. Kudos if you try it though a 55K makes more sense.

Seriously if I wanted a 55k I'd go and get one. They are great engines but there are loads about. And you can get 500horses from that old 3.6 lump! I like the idea of the dogleg from a 2.3 16v.

Yep. The '55 S/C 202 was being sold by a salvage company, several years back now and was on foreign plates. It was bought by an MBClub member. Wiring was a mess IIRC!

The Birds 202 had a Spirit S/C fitted to a C43 engine, power was over 400bhp apparantly although I do remember reading about some mechanical issues with the engine earlier in it's life.

Personally, I would start with a big V8 if you want a powerful 202. The '55 is close to 350bhp NA and with a supercharger 500bhp will be pretty easy similar to the S/C AMG models. Maybe 600-700bhp on the horizon if you really wanted to push the boat out. Maybe stick with Auto box but look at a LSD and chassis mods?

I have thought about modding the 43 but I just love the 6pot

I like the idea of the dogleg from a 2.3 16v.

Just remember that the c36 ecu wont work with a manual box, you need to have the maps transfered to a 320ecu or go standalone.

will be following this one...

There is a way, you'll probably have to rework the valves, pistons, steel piston rings, custom headgasket, drop the compression to around 8.2, 2 big turbo's with a steady boost, autronic standalone ecu system, fuel pump upgrade, additional methanol injection cooling to the pistons and the right mix of E85 ethanol for a higher octane.

I think you'd be well on your way to 500bhp+ right there.

500hp and you'll kill the box from a cossie.

Guy who used to work at mercman had a 190 with a 3.6 TT fitted. It kept killing itself. The car spent it's life in the garage.
Once he finally rebuilt the engine for the 4th time and fitted an M3 gearbox, he crashed the car...

I've lost touch with him but I know he still lives in the Southampton area and his name is Simon! Last I knew he was head technician working on artic trucks. No idea if he still has the car in question.

The car itself was painted a ford racing blue and it had a custom metal wide body kit made to echo the styling of the 126 wide body. Have done a google search but cant find anything!

WG M-B said:
Hi guys I am looking for some sound advice......
I have owned many mb's over the years but have never really felt the need or want for modifying. I am, however, very interested in carrying out a twin turbo conversion to the C36 I bought off Lee (spx).
I have already thrown 1500 of my hard earned cash at it , and just love the straight six sooooo much. I want to make it go really fast and the tt conversion seems the way to go. I would like to get her over 500horses and add some gas as well.
I would like advice on the best kits, wether a manual conversion is the way forward, LSD? Etc etc...
For any of you that can give advice I would appreciate it

Thanks guys

I would be cheaper to buy E55 AMG,someone has already asked wether it can be LPG converted ,maybe he is selling it

500hp and you'll kill the box from a cossie.

Guy who used to work at mercman had a 190 with a 3.6 TT fitted. It kept killing itself. The car spent it's life in the garage.
Once he finally rebuilt the engine for the 4th time and fitted an M3 gearbox, he crashed the car...

Don't forget boxes are normally rated for specific torque rather than hp.

The W201 Getrag box is considered very strong though. Not sure what it's rated at but very much over engineered for its typical applications. Don't understand how an M3 box would be better as I was under the impression that similar era M3s used a very similar (near identical?) Getrag box too?

Those M3's produced around 193-235bhp, so along the same lines as the 190E 2.3/2.5 16V and Evo models. Heres an interesting fact about the gearboxes...

The E30 M3 had one of two Getrag 265 5-speed gearboxes. US models received an overdrive transmission while European models were outfitted with a dogleg version, with first gear being down and to the left, and fifth gear being a direct 1:1 ratio. Rear differentials installed included a 4.10:1 final-drive ratio for US models. European versions were equipped with a 3.15:1 final drive ratio. All versions were clutch-type limited-slip differentials with 25% lockup.

He used an E36 M3 box and did some bellhousing modifications to fit it.

The cossie box died very quickly. We supplied an auto from a S350TD LHD that did the job (as you say, rated for the torque). But he wanted to go back to manual and couldn't find a strong enough merc box that would do the job.

It was a long time ago now, but I think so yes.

If i decide to stick with an auto i would naturally have it beefed up internally to take the torque!

Its a 4 speed auto. I too am a bit confused as to how the getrag kept going pop? I was under the impression they were very strong!

Any update on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom