Twin turbo C36

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WG M-B

Auhorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
C63 Wagon in black
Hi guys I am looking for some sound advice......
I have owned many mb's over the years but have never really felt the need or want for modifying. I am, however, very interested in carrying out a twin turbo conversion to the C36 I bought off Lee (spx).
I have already thrown 1500 of my hard earned cash at it , and just love the straight six sooooo much. I want to make it go really fast and the tt conversion seems the way to go. I would like to get her over 500horses and add some gas as well.
I would like advice on the best kits, wether a manual conversion is the way forward, LSD? Etc etc...
For any of you that can give advice I would appreciate it

Thanks guys

Jesus , that sounds like a lot of work !

I know it's a mission, but it has been done many times. More often over the pond it seems. I would just love to see what the 36 could do with tt's on her.
And the sound? I reckon my little old 202 would sound like a supra on steroids !!!

I drove a C280 TT at a GTG in the states in 2002 - it was nuts as it had no LSD and no traction control either !!!

There was a 202 doing the rounds on eBay a year or so ago with a S/C 5.5l in it , there were a couple of threads on here about it.

No one could get it running IIRC , although it was all fitted and done , it just wouldn't run.

Have a search for the threads , must be an easier way to get 500bhp out of a 202 ?

Fit a 55 lump to a C43. SC that.

More power and more reliable.

Theres also a few threads on other MB forums from over the pond. A lot of threads talk about it, but no one ever ends up sharing a conclusion of how it went or if it worked so it ends up being pointless.

There was a guy in OZ who had a 124 coupe with a 3.6 TT pumping out bhp figures somewhere in the 400's, apparently he kept blowing headgaskets.

So from all these threads which Ive read or come across, I dont think the 3.6 lends itself too well to any form of a turbo.

For 500bhp in a M104, you'd be better off going the route of Roman (Pumpish), completely overhauling all of the internals in a M103 3.0 or M104 3.2, forged pistons, conrods, crankshaft, standalone ECU, manifolds and allsorts. Big wonga!

Last edited:
Fit a 55 lump to a C43. SC that.

More power and more reliable.

I have a 43 outside the workshop waiting for the body to be tidied up. She is lovely and I know I could sc it and get the power I want.
I am just intrigued by what could be done with that 3.6. I love the way it delivers the power Ollie, and yes the v8's are quicker but I would just love to do the tt conversion to it. I am willing to spend a few quid if it means I have a one off car.
What do you reckon on the best kits?

You'd have to build your own kit. By the sounds of that article on the C36TT, bloody hell you'd have your work cut out for you.

Anyhow, I'd say go for it and do it if you have the budget for it.. it'd be one hell of a car! Just make sure you follow it through and then post some dyno'd figures for us all to drool over! lol.

Of course. I though there were kits available? I will have a looky over the pond and see how many have had success. I'm sure it will work. And a dog leg manual tranny?
Think I'll start with the research!

Of course. I though there were kits available? I will have a looky over the pond and see how many have had success. I'm sure it will work. And a dog leg manual tranny?

The kit's your thinking of dont work well with the 3.6, the only parts of use from them are the turbo manifolds. It would be better to use a supercharger along with a standalone managment system, that should get you over 360hp on a standard 3.6 engine.

If you want more power than that, use a 3.2 engine with twin t25 or t28 turbos.

The dogleg getrag gearbox from the 16v 190e, or the 6 speed box from the clk, are the best ones to use for a manual swap.

You can use the 30% lsd from the 2.3 16v 190e, which will bolt in once the rear diff cover is swaped over.

Last edited:
500bhp from an old 3.6 lump seems unlikely in any reliable form. Kudos if you try it though a 55K makes more sense.

Stick a Toyota 2JZ-GTE I6 with twin turbos in it, you can get 800bhp out of those things!

Not exactly driveable everyday though!

And a dog leg manual tranny?

Good to see you're enjoying the old lass, Tel!

Converting the C36 gearbox to a dogleg would transform the car, if ever there was an engine crying out for a manual box, it's the 3.6.

Start with that and then see how you feel, a 5 speed manual will make the car feel a lot quicker anyway, it would have been the first thing I'd have done if I'd have kept her. Then go the LSD route...

There was a 202 doing the rounds on eBay a year or so ago with a S/C 5.5l in it , there were a couple of threads on here about it.

No one could get it running IIRC , although it was all fitted and done , it just wouldn't run.

Have a search for the threads , must be an easier way to get 500bhp out of a 202 ?

Now belongs to The Don IIRC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom