• Facebook

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • Twitter

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • None of theabove thank you.

Votes: 42 59.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Used to have a twitter account, but closed it down about a year and a half ago - pretty pointless IMO. I use facebook to keep in touch with family, friends and business/political contacts on both sides of the pond ... also have a corporate page for my company. I do use a separate browser (with reasonable security settings in place) just for facebook though, as I despise their corporate policies and do not trust them one little bit.

I find the dislike of Facebook and the erosion of people interacting with each other in person on this thread quite amusing.

Hypocrisy if you will.

To an extent, the same could be levelled at this forum and it's ilk.......

The difference is many people on this forum have never met before, don't know each other and aren't interacting one-on-one sharing pointless details etc.

Instead they are discussing a common topic and in my case I tend not to have anyone around me when I'm on that I could be talking to about W124s etc.!

I do FB, mainly it seems to be a repository of old friends.

One of which was my best mate at school 20+years ago. moved away, never saw him, went to visit my parents in June, bumped into him in pub. would not have recognised him if it had not been for FB.

He since, emigrated to Australia and we have conversed a few times since.

So I find it has its uses for things like that. A social network.

Twatter? no idea. our company has an account and I was unable to attend the day that taught us how to use it. I think I remember looking at grass that day. Its green you know.

I use the mobile for ringing and txts for work.

email for work, some email at home for other things.

A few years back our safety guy wanted to know if we wanted to get PDA's for my staff. I looked blank at him. Recently they asked if we wanted ipads......cue the blank look again.

Got some nice blackberry juice for the water though.

drone drone drone etc

I use Facebook to check out interviewees...

I also upload blog updates to both, but that is done via the blog itself and is done purely to win corporate brownie points.

Yep. that's about all I used it for, had an FB account until my daughters added me as a 'freind', they just cramped my style.

Never felt the need to use either, though a mate convinced me to join Twitter.
I haven't used it.

Facebook, nah, that's not for me, I've got a face for radio ;-)

cheers
richard

I'm on Twitter and find work on it.

Other companies follow me, get in touch and ask me to sub-contract jobs for them.

I'm on Facebook. Because of a comment there I had my status revoked. How sad is that?

I'm on Facebook. Because of a comment there I had my status revoked. How sad is that?

Any sadder than this

IMG_5181.jpg

LOL!!!!

Losers.

My thoughts/observations exactly. All this bloody technology is turning the most social occasions into ones where even people who are together turn their separate ways. It isolates people for the cause of uniting others. I think a face-to-face relationship is far better than a flimsy one based on one or two conversations.

I am getting desperate now - is this really where things are heading? You go out somewhere and the people you're with don't talk to each other but to others? Well, I think they should have gone out with those others - but then they'd be chatting to someone else still.

It seems that people feel compelled to interact with their phone and with people at the other end of it - something of an addiction. They don't call them Crackberries for nothing.

I just wish the trend would reverse and people would talk to each other, not type to them on Facebook all the bloody time.

It's just the most antisocial thing - breaking up close groups of friends and families as each is isolated communicating with this piece of plastic when they could be talking to each other. It shows you whoever is at the end of the phone or computer is more important to them than you - except they obviously aren't important enough for the person to chat to them in person or on the phone.

I just think back to before all this rubbish started, when families were together, when friends were friends and were much closer than they are now, when you could sit down to dinner or go out somewhere and your companions wouldn't be engrossed in their phone but would actually be chatting or at the very least looking up rather than down at a screen.

There is now a distinct lack of interest in anything that doesn't come under "social networking". Well - it isn't social. It's the opposite. 99% of the time you'll be chatting to/following someone you hardly know and will very soon lose interest in for the sake of chatting to some equally unknown person.

It's even worse than you think. Try working in an office were people think you're an alien if you actually walk over to their desk to ask them something in person rather than using IM.

Modern offices are wierd places. Rows of people with headphones on talking silenty on IM and email.

Facebook is a procrastination tool. Handy if you live overseas (especially the UAE where skype/voip is banned), but otherwise it seems to me like a tragic version of Big Brother with people posting the inanities of daily life for no apparent reason. Do people really think anyone out cares what they had for lunch? posting on FB seems to me like the ultimate in vanity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom