• Facebook

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • Twitter

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • None of theabove thank you.

Votes: 42 59.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have FB as a convenient record of people I've known over the years and who I might like to get in touch with again, from Uni and the like.

I don't ever post anything although I might sometimes respond to something someone else has said.

I can see why some people might find it useful, but neither are for me. I guess my equivalent is MBClub.

Security of information - either actual or implied through "friends" - is also enough to put me off.

I use Facebook to check out interviewees...

I also upload blog updates to both, but that is done via the blog itself and is done purely to win corporate brownie points.

Interesting. I tell a few of my younger chums not to post too much; "here's me on an Ibiza party weekend stoned on E, spliffs and shots whilst telling the boss I am too sick to work" kind of stuff.

I'll bet Her Majesty's Government love it too.

They rely on the gormless not reading the T's & C's that come along with social media. They do not exist for the benefit of their subscribers

I did have a Facebook account some years ago. I found I started getting people I'd not spoken to for 20 years sending me messages.

There's a generally a reason that I've not spoken to them for 20 years. So I closed it about 2 years ago.

It's become another marketing tool, but even when I did use it I found the interface non user freindly and a bit of shambles to be honest.

Interesting. I tell a few of my younger chums not to post too much; "here's me on an Ibiza party weekend stoned on E, spliffs and shots whilst telling the boss I am too sick to work" kind of stuff.

I'll bet Her Majesty's Government love it too.

Sometimes it's quite gobsmacking to see what people who are supposed to be technology / media savvy put out there about themselves,

I use Facebook, although am starting to wonder.

It's quite a good way to keep up with remote family etc. but there are a few users posts that I hide as they constantly post **** drivel for their 'fans and followers'.

As I don't find the need to use any of these social networking sites as the term 'cyber friends' is an oxymoron to me so either Iam a luddite, or I have a life....

And anyway I spend far too much time lurking on here and Pistonheads lol.

Each to there own I say

Don't use Facebook or Twitter - see no point in them. The younger generation seem to be obsessed with "BBM" which I found out is "Blackberry messenger". This means they talk to each other less in person and in the company of adults stay unsocial tapping away on those tiny keys. They seem to be the least social generation so far. Sure they chat more than before but that's via their phones where they mangle English (well, they use text-speak which is very poor IMHO) and say things they wouldn't say in person.

From what I gather social networking is making people less social, and I'm making a sort-of-protest against all that

I've just had a circular letter from local plod announcing they are on Twitter, checking the link it seemed to contain a plethora of unintelligble messages punctuated with #this that or other I think I was able to discern that Sharon was picking her nose or something, so not earth shattering in the great crime solving scene of things. I can just about text under supervision if desperate, perhaps I'm a Luddite as well, now where's that loom :D

I've never felt the need or indeed inclination. One of the saddest sights I've seen in a long time was four people at a table in a restaurant, all of them engrossed in their phones. Whatever happened to conversation? As for telling the world what's in my sandwich, why bother?

One of the saddest sights I've seen in a long time was four people at a table in a restaurant, all of them engrossed in their phones. Whatever happened to conversation?

Perhaps they were talking to each other.

Somehow, as soon as you sign up to Facebook, there are a zillion servers out there that know the most intimate details imaginable about your life :eek:

Is this true?

I have a FB account but have never posted anything, should I be worried?

I use twitter mainly to follow my favourite celebs, they get up to all sorts and some tweet where they will be so you can meet etc

Fb I detest as I think it's completely pointless.

For me, Twitter is more of a news feed and a very good one at that. If there is a breaking story I wan't to know more about, these days Twitter is the first place I turn to because whilst the Sky newscopter might be on it's way, you just know somebody with a camera phone is already there.

Facebook on the other hand is for personal stuff. Photos shared between friends and family and also a place to find all those stupid video clips you find online.

As for privacy.

Facebook has no more data on you that cannot be found anywhere else (online or off) unless you choose to share more detail.

I've never felt the need or indeed inclination. One of the saddest sights I've seen in a long time was four people at a table in a restaurant, all of them engrossed in their phones. Whatever happened to conversation? As for telling the world what's in my sandwich, why bother?

My thoughts/observations exactly. All this bloody technology is turning the most social occasions into ones where even people who are together turn their separate ways. It isolates people for the cause of uniting others. I think a face-to-face relationship is far better than a flimsy one based on one or two conversations.

I am getting desperate now - is this really where things are heading? You go out somewhere and the people you're with don't talk to each other but to others? Well, I think they should have gone out with those others - but then they'd be chatting to someone else still.

It seems that people feel compelled to interact with their phone and with people at the other end of it - something of an addiction. They don't call them Crackberries for nothing.

I just wish the trend would reverse and people would talk to each other, not type to them on Facebook all the bloody time.

It's just the most antisocial thing - breaking up close groups of friends and families as each is isolated communicating with this piece of plastic when they could be talking to each other. It shows you whoever is at the end of the phone or computer is more important to them than you - except they obviously aren't important enough for the person to chat to them in person or on the phone.

I just think back to before all this rubbish started, when families were together, when friends were friends and were much closer than they are now, when you could sit down to dinner or go out somewhere and your companions wouldn't be engrossed in their phone but would actually be chatting or at the very least looking up rather than down at a screen.

There is now a distinct lack of interest in anything that doesn't come under "social networking". Well - it isn't social. It's the opposite. 99% of the time you'll be chatting to/following someone you hardly know and will very soon lose interest in for the sake of chatting to some equally unknown person.

Facebook has no more data on you that cannot be found anywhere else (online or off) unless you choose to share more detail.

That's true, up to a point. You must also be careful of what details your friends are sharing.

FB have improved on this aspect in one respect. Photo tagging used to be automatically approved. Now you can control whether friends tag you or not.
This may sound trivial, but it's quite easy for 3rd parties to snoop on people through Facebook, find out where you live etc etc.

Corned has:

Just finished his evening meal - spaghetti. With bolognese sauce, naturally.

:)

with added splashes down your white shirt?....those are the kind of details FB 'friends' must know! ;)

I find the dislike of Facebook and the erosion of people interacting with each other in person on this thread quite amusing.

Hypocrisy if you will.

To an extent, the same could be levelled at this forum and it's ilk.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom