Two Bucket Wash Method - Please Explain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
We have a guy who comes to the unit and does a wash and go on my CLS and a few others but I feel i should be cleaning the DB9 myself :eek: I then realised that although I did it a few weeks a go I didnt have a clue so can someone explain the best method - I assume two buckets is one a soapy one and one a rinser with gritgard ?

The other week I put my mitt in the washing machine and it shed all its microfibres and buggered the machine - Im not popular at the mo .....

We have a guy who comes to the unit and does a wash and go on my CLS and a few others but I feel i should be cleaning the DB9 myself :eek: I then realised that although I did it a few weeks a go I didnt have a clue so can someone explain the best method - I assume two buckets is one a soapy one and one a rinser with gritgard ?

The other week I put my mitt in the washing machine and it shed all its microfibres and buggered the machine - Im not popular at the mo .....

You got it, it's a way of trying to stop swirls etc.
I have a friend who has Mustang 2005, and cherishes it, he uses the 2 bucket method (no grit guard though) and after 2 years swirls are just starting, very very hard to see, I.E. checking with a strong light source, sun reflection in paintwork on a clear day.

Go to Detailing World Forum they have the full explanation. . Both buckets need a Grit Guard.

Last edited:

Great way to ensure you never get asked to do the laundry...;) :D

We have a different two bucket method. I have one and the kids have the other. Seems to work but it is not a DB9. :)

2 Grit guards and 2 lambswool mitts ordered on ebay from Waxacar and from Halfords a autoglym 6 pack trial pack was on sell out at £10 so I got that as well

Detailing anyone ? .................

2 Grit guards and 2 lambswool mitts ordered on ebay from Waxacar and from Halfords a autoglym 6 pack trial pack was on sell out at £10 so I got that as well

Well Done :thumb: :thumb:

Which polish / wax does the Autoglym pack contain? Just the std Super resin stuff? You ought to get a proper wax to go on top of that - either Autoglym High Definition - just tried it and it is very good (on the cab - the 2 bucket method with the kids doesn't work on that one :)) otherwise heard that Harlys wax also very good.

The solvents do all of the work. The mitt or sponge does the mechnical force.

To be honest, this car washing thing is becoming a joke. There are all of these elaborate and expensive methods which have no basis in common sense.

IT would be like having a 10 wash method for clothing.

They are proven - and common sense dictates that if you use a sponge to wipe off dirt and then rub it back on the car you're going to scratch the paint.

My dad's car was full of swirls from MB Direct's prep - a day's work with a rotary using SRP and EGP over Easter:

w209detail.jpg

w209detail2.jpg

w209detail3.jpg

Its well worth investing in a decent jet washer and a snow foam lance as well , the less you touch a car with a dirty wash mitt the less the chance of swirls or scratches and the less machining it will need if your car is well waxed then 99% of the dirt could be removed before you even get the bucket out

If you want the best results you need the best methods , there are no shortcuts

I did my w210 last week , polished with a autoglym super resin polish and then collinite wax

P1010175.jpg

Reflection off the back of the roof

P1010183.jpg

I prefer to polish mine with Megs #83 and then use Collinite 476s to give the wax finish....but don't feel that it has the "depth" of shine - so may try AutoGlym HD wax to see it that's better....

Also invested in a Stihl PW and snowfoam lance.....

Megs 83 is good but i wanted the fillers that SRP has as well .

Have you tried Zaino products , i've been really impressed with the shine and depth especially the way it "pops" the metal flake on metallics , of course silver is pretty unrewarding when it comes to trying to get a depth of shine

I prefer to polish mine with Megs #83 and then use Collinite 476s to give the wax finish....but don't feel that it has the "depth" of shine - so may try AutoGlym HD wax to see it that's better....

Also invested in a Stihl PW and snowfoam lance.....

The HD is very good if a tad pricy.

They are proven - and common sense dictates that if you use a sponge to wipe off dirt and then rub it back on the car you're going to scratch the paint.

My dad's car was full of swirls from MB Direct's prep - a day's work with a rotary using SRP and EGP over Easter:

The swirls arent gone. They are just filled in with a substance which more is amorphous.

It is basic high school physics. The refractive index of the surfaces and their relative thickness combined with "valleys" in the surfaces catch the light at various angles and either transmit or reflect the light.

The preparations which restore these finishes are the bloke equivalent of make-up concealer for the car.

Last edited:
If the paint has been corrected, then the swirls are gone. SRP contain fillers for the reasons you mention above to help hide deeper scratches.

I use a brush that attaches to the hose, and has a reservoir that holds wash/ wax liquid or whatever you fancy. I use hot water into the hose. The nylon bristles are quite soft.

Gardena market one, but it uses cleaner sticks that are quickly used up.

the brush will scratch the paint over time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom