Two C63s - w204 v w205 (Two Years With Each)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iggu

Car
C63 AMG
I've just come up to 2 years' ownership with my w205 C63, which I bought in January 2019 after exactly 2 years with my w204 C63. Both great cars which have brought me very happy memories but for me there is a clear winner.

I've driven both cars to the Nurburgring and back, both went on Oulton Park and both went on the Anglesey GP circuit - and in total I covered around 24k miles in the w204 and have so far done 14k in the w205 (lockdown meant much lower miles in 2020 obviously).

The w204 turned more heads for sure. People would come up to me on garage forecourts and in supermarket car parks and compliment me on it - it definitely felt like driving a classic, an icon. I loved the colour (Palladium) and the feeling of monumental power when you floored it at 80mph on the autobahn was hilarious. But it wasn't a car for fast driving on twisty roads or on track. I like to go to North Wales around the roads near Pentrefoelas and here, and on track, the nose-heaviness really made it problematic. It is a big, heavy brute of a car - great for straight line booming but not what I'd call a driver's car. The tech was badly dated, the aircon never worked properly and the 19" wheels were made of oatmeal - I had to replace two in two years from cracking. The seats were amazingly comfy and the legendary noise was great ....... but one-dimensional: it never changed.

The w205 is virtually invisible on the road - it turns no heads unless it is for the noise. The noise (with the switchable exhaust on) is simply fantastic - crackling, burbling, popping and banging all the way. I find the noise way way better and more interesting than in my w204 (controversial opinion perhaps but, having owned both cars, it is true nonetheless). The tech is great - I love the Burmeister stereo and the pan roof is superb. Seats not as good but the build quality feels better than the w204 to me - everything works, all of the time. It is a much better car in the handling department - no doubt about it. The slides are more controllable, the nose-heavy pivot-swinging isn't there and it just feels so much more on its toes. I don't time my track laps but this is a much quicker car than the w204, much more nimble and faster in the corners.

Both great, great cars - but I'd take the w205 every time.

y4myRER2cL2-vixYR1EKS6kBYtgtI9vgRXFVPKUSAbfJWvvfPNASdh1Etj6r8PHFDxK1Z46UIaiqK0Pk5nMSkip1M04qAhFX5BuSSMFePgVppeJ0WviteRooRys1NQHl_hvKrt27vACQoGfrUNTCs3UYCvUEQodN6m3ZUKyjYhBNjtDn_muvaJSr6hvYFOZn-Ow
y4mGiQ6zDzq4oO7NT4HvZPlgcl6CjmPKKCjTEb-1nPVpMV6yjeXgEp0HHA0CQRusfBzY1NhHYm3PWFRFBhPYyBSjpzvORtAsbc4AxbFb5z3K-W_8RzYOAsbVdCe02cUMpuqz7NZXICOI-gt__mBRZSFAsTr1-vARPhHpwUnu166q2A0aG5Mcb7RJSEhL9HgTvn6

y4m1GESG1iXapRQeGMZAyDRO_ogMXp_JCpe4JcKk-817xUKIB8Py-bqE61k3e_Jq-_irHL7eY2NWRcvHD2VDgvZftgeQUScR8OqKAUTxwyBjj04tUnzNFuT2ICc2r0r63jVB_P0VCt3-Qw_uD7Ig53MeflmAt5C0W-HB9y4kPXtEaS5RMnky4nqXY8P7JeASCas
y4mdIr2460m2PRDmX_dg0XrbokS_OVLYULS0va65aI2FMFpKtBB3ODusd-0CGBBpt9f_MeJWY5cq1OeFYU-gP0tLq0bDA7UHyziTAPFH3X8ZbZ94nCFD5mTM757mUgLvnqNzJKy9EhTuBG_Fms8-Ghevijey0bq4_sieS-51pd1qHlv73InzGxYZrJXXuJy5I5v

thats the problem, new MB designs lack sports design and are too refined to simplicity. Overall I still prefer the W204, the black edition made it popular

I have to say that being anonymous is not something that i've had an issue with in my 205 and in fact, the road presence is one of the key reasons I bought it.

Within the first couple of weeks of owning it, I was getting comments at petrol stations, a Tesco delivery driver and my postman complimenting me and random people stopping to watch me drive by. In one case a guy walking past my house stopped just to watch me reverse out of my drive - creepy, but never had that happen to me before!

In the interests of full disclosure I have never driven a 204, i've obviously seen lots on the roads and even got offered the chance to buy one a few months before I bought mine. For me the fantasy of the 6.2 is better than I think it would be actually owning one. This is also controversial but to me, the sound is very American, which isn't a bad thing in itself but then again if I wanted something that sounded like it was running an LS, i'd go out and buy a Corvette (which is still very much on my bucket list to do).

No disrespect if you own a 204, just agreeing (kind of) with the OP :)

Interesting point of view and encouraging for when I probably end up changing my S204 for an S205.

The biggest things I'd be interested in on the 205 are lower seating position, better gearbox and better handling. The tech is good enough on the 204, although HUD and Android Auto would be nice.

The engines are actually about the same weight, as is the overall weight of each version. Therefore, it must come down to better suspension and geometry.

Exterior wise the sound of the 204 wins for me, but only as a stock exhaust without being ruined by removal of this that and the other. From what I've heard on video more of the engine sound seems to make it's way inside the 205 and I Iike the harder edged, less raucous/American sound it makes.

Those wheels on the 205 are my favourite. The standard wheels on the 204 are indeed useless but I've sourced a set of the genuine forged 507 rims. As for seats, those in the 204 are excellent but they're too high set. I'd only get the 205 with the performance seats.

I've followed a similar path to the OP, going from 204 to 205 about two years ago, and completely agree with the comments.
My 205 is similar spec to Iggu. The interior is definitely a better place to be, and (controversially) I also prefer the switchable sound of the 205 exhaust (although I detest the idea of sound piped through the speakers as on the very latest variant... and I prefer the 7-speed over the 9-speed gearbox too).

I've followed a similar path to the OP, going from 204 to 205 about two years ago, and completely agree with the comments.
My 205 is similar spec to Iggu. The interior is definitely a better place to be, and (controversially) I also prefer the switchable sound of the 205 exhaust (although I detest the idea of sound piped through the speakers as on the very latest variant... and I prefer the 7-speed over the 9-speed gearbox too).
Me too. I think I will replace this with another, newer C63 when I'm ready and I'll be sure to get one without the piped music. I think a while back Bobby Dazzler on here mentioned the exact month/year when that was introduced. I'll be getting one which was made the month before!

Doesn't it go for most models. The newer version is always going to feel that more driver friendly, newer technology is a major factory. Some people like that old school type V8 drive/ride. These more torquey/ bi-turbo cars seem to get the thumbs up on the performance front. On the other hand the more driver input seems to sway in the favour of the N/A engine.

Having owned the M113k e55 and now the w212 6.2 N/A car. Both have different qualities. But also very very similar in there performance. To me the newer car has the edge with steering and agility feel. But the e55 was a straight line brute from early rpm. The 6.2 likes to be high up the rpm to open its thunderous mouth, and when it does There's no better feeling or "noise" in that case.

The bi-turbo noise is good but not as good as the N/A 6.2 Rumble.

I think the anonymous bit is purely down to colour . Black , as smart as it is when clean , tends to hide the lines of a car wheras lighter colours accentuate them.

Normally aspirated 6.2 all the way...there is no contest.
The 205 in my opinion is poorly put together and that iPad screen is just awful.
The build material quality is better in the 204 IMO.

The engines are actually about the same weight, as is the overall weight of each version. Therefore, it must come down to better suspension and geometry.
These cars are a little front heavy and to me they understeer a little. I’ve got used to mine doing that and as it had the uprated suspension option fitted from new and I’ve added a Quaife rear diff to the equation it now handles beautifully. I can turn in a little earlier and then use the torque and LSD to power out of corners.

Certainly not all about raw horsepower with C63’s you need to be able to get the power and torque transferred via the tyres to the road. Balance between power and ability to transfer that to the tarmac is what you need to aim for :cool:

At just over 200kg for the M156 or M159 they are remarkably light for their size. Even something like the BMW S54 straight six is heavier. Sure, a lesser engined C Class will be lighter but it doesn't drive like a front heavy car, as say an Audi RS4 B8 does...

Great post. Really interesting comparison.

Simple question: was colour a reason why one car caught the eye more than the other?

Is it the Palladium that catches the eye ?

Normally aspirated 6.2 all the way...there is no contest.
The 205 in my opinion is poorly put together and that iPad screen is just awful.
The build material quality is better in the 204 IMO.
I would urge you to own and live with both cars..... you'd be very pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Great post. Really interesting comparison.

Simple question: was colour a reason why one car caught the eye more than the other?

Is it the Palladium that catches the eye ?

Could be the colour yes. Palladium is very eye-catching - black a bit more anonymous maybe.
But the lines of the 205 are softer all round, the arches not as noticeably flared, the wheels seem more understated and the front view is more tame/softer in my opinion. It's not a bad thing for me - I'm not really after attention.
The other thing I didn't mention (it doesn't really matter to me but might to some) is fuel efficiency. When I sold my 204 the average mpg was showing at 18mpg - the 205 is showing 24mpg (same driver, same journeys).

The other thing I didn't mention (it doesn't really matter to me but might to some) is fuel efficiency. When I sold my 204 the average mpg was showing at 18mpg - the 205 is showing 24mpg (same driver, same journeys).

It's astonishing how each model gets faster and more frugal when the model gets updated.

I courted the w204 C63 as an upgrade from the w203 C32 and C55 which I owned. I had a demo on loan for a long weekend, but could never bring myself to push the button. Sure, the m156 is a superb power unit, but for me personally it’s about handling dynamics. The w204 didn’t move the game on significantly from the w203. I already owned an r171 SLK55, which shared the same basic layout. I improved that car a lot by fitting a KW V3 suspension kit. I could have done that with the w204 and it would have ended up similar, but I already had that. The w205 C63 moves the game on significantly. They’ve moved away from macpherson strut to double wishbone, and the lower arm arrangement is almost a carbon copy of BMWs f80 M3. The old mercedes idea of huge positive camber on the inside wheel in a turn has gone, and it is a revelation. LSD standard on the back and gearchanges fast, and when you ask for them. Particularly the down changes. Yeah, it’s only four litres, but it’s what you do with them that counts. Old AMGs used to be straight line hot rods, and there is nothing wrong with that. I like the new breed though. I might be able to wean myself off my E46 M3 track car in time ;)

I agree with you OP, pretty much on every point. Like you I had both the W204 and 205 for around 2 years.

The W204 was an absolute hoot and got quite a lot of attention (Palladium silver too - fantastic colour). The 205 was more usable, more of the time and doesn't lose much of the theatre.

As an everyday prospect I much preferred the 205 - more agile on a twisty back road and it didn't want to drain my wallet at every opportunity (although it still had a decent rubber appetite).

Which was my favourite though? I don't know. :) If money were no object, I'd probably have the 204 and something else to go with it. But the 205 as an overall package is absolutely superb.

I miss it, and want it back.

The 205 is a brilliant all round package , a bit like me I suppose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom