Two C63s - w204 v w205 (Two Years With Each)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What is the reliability of the 205, and in particular it’s engine, like?

I’ve always admired the 204 from afar but feel like there are just too many things to go wrong with the motor (for me at least, no offence meant to owners).

What is the reliability of the 205, and in particular it’s engine, like?

I’ve always admired the 204 from afar but feel like there are just too many things to go wrong with the motor (for me at least, no offence meant to owners).
I had no issues whatsoever with the engine in my 204 but the aircon is a weak point (I think related to where the compressor is related) and mine never worked despite being in for warranty work on it twice. The 19" wheels are hopeless and I had a few gremlins with the engine mode wheel which would sometimes get stuck in Comfort. But.... compared to my previous BMWs or Audis the ownership experience was very trouble free.
My 205 has had a squeaky pan roof (easy warranty fix) and the brakes squeal at low speed but otherwise bullet proof so far (car is only on 20k miles though).
Got to say from my experience with three two, AMG build quality is very very good.

An interesting post for sure. For me the W204 C63 is an icon, nothing comes close to how they sound on the road and mine gets looks each time it goes out. I used my mates W205 C63 for a couple of days whilst he was on holiday and its a totally different machine. Noise wise and pure theatre, the W205 is a big step back as are the looks. It doesnt look all that much different from a C220d AMG Line. However, the gearbox, the interior, comfort and MPG were all far better on the W205 C63. If I was doing motorway journeys each day I would take the W205 but for the 14 miles round trip commute I do in my W204 C63, ill keep what I have.....

As for what someone commented on the exhaust, my W204 is standard in every way, thats how it will stay.

As far a noise goes on the M156, all models have a different vocal exhaust note.

The c63 is more raspy in my opinion compared to that of the W211 E63 w212 E63 and the ML 63 also has its unique exhaust sound. The later 3 definitely have a more deeper sound, which I personally prefer. It must be to do with the rear mufflers and piping leading to the rear mufflers. Headers and X pipes and straight pipes all have something different to bring to the party. Some sound good on some models but not as good as others in my opinion.

All personal choice at closing time of course 👍

As far a noise goes on the M156, all models have a different vocal exhaust note.

The c63 is more raspy in my opinion compared to that of the W211 E63 w212 E63 and the ML 63 also has its unique exhaust sound. The later 3 definitely have a more deeper sound, which I personally prefer. It must be to do with the rear mufflers and piping leading to the rear mufflers. Headers and X pipes and straight pipes all have something different to bring to the party. Some sound good on some models but not as good as others in my opinion.

All personal choice at closing time of course 👍
I agree, they all sound truly great but the sound, tone and volume is very much tuned for the application.

You can hear that they share common DNA, but with a standard exhaust the sound is quite different.

The noise is definitely harder and more “raspy” in the C, and softer at the other end of the scale, roughly:

C - E 212 - E W211 - SL - CL/S/ML

For me the perfect sound for the M156, is not the M156 at all, it’s in the M159 from SLS! 😁

I've not owned either a W204 or W205 C63 but drove both while I owned my first pre-facelift W212 E63.

My personal take on it was that the W204 is a bit of a "one trick pony" - albeit a very good one trick pony, and I can completely understand why it has the following it does - that I couldn't live with as a daily driver. I found the W205 a much more rounded package that in all practical terms bested the W204 and I certainly thought long and hard about switching to a W205 C63 when I moved the E63 on.

I'd liken the difference between the two C63s to an unruly young teenager vs. an adventurous young adult: the former alternates between being great fun and being a pain in the ar$e, while the latter is more rewarding more of the time, even if it lacks some of the drama.

It's good that we all have different opinions and needs, otherwise we'd all be driving around in VW Golfs!

I agree, they all sound truly great but the sound, tone and volume is very much tuned for the application.

You can hear that they share common DNA, but with a standard exhaust the sound is quite different.

The noise is definitely harder and more “raspy” in the C, and softer at the other end of the scale, roughly:

C - E 212 - E W211 - SL - CL/S/ML

For me the perfect sound for the M156, is not the M156 at all, it’s in the M159 from SLS! 😁

That M159 does sound quite something I agree 👍😁

Have I commented on the noise my 156 makes and how I like it lol🤣🤣🤣👍

Had it out yesterday, haven't driven it for 3 weeks. Was a blast. The weather was perfect also. Got rid of a few cobwebs 💥👍

To conclude = 204 c63 outshines the 205 c63 no ifs no buts

The looks alone will ensure i never own a 205 c63.
Haha that's the exact opposite of the conclusion I reached after 4 years!
Glad you like your car though. The W204 is decent.

An interesting post for sure. For me the W204 C63 is an icon, nothing comes close to how they sound on the road and mine gets looks each time it goes out. I used my mates W205 C63 for a couple of days whilst he was on holiday and its a totally different machine. Noise wise and pure theatre, the W205 is a big step back as are the looks. It doesnt look all that much different from a C220d AMG Line. However, the gearbox, the interior, comfort and MPG were all far better on the W205 C63. If I was doing motorway journeys each day I would take the W205 but for the 14 miles round trip commute I do in my W204 C63, ill keep what I have.....

As for what someone commented on the exhaust, my W204 is standard in every way, thats how it will stay.
Out of curiosity on your comment about the noise ... did the 205 you borrow have the switchable exhaust?
I've never tried one without it. With it..... it's a symphony compared to the 204.
(all this is subjective of course - it's like us debating what the best colour is).

The simple fact is the 205 will never have the cult following of the 204.

Would i swop this for a w205 my answer 🤔 no 20200908 132226 — Postimages]
20200908-132226.jpg
[/url]

Not for long though...
I dont really rate them
I not really noticed since the lsd was fitted it doesn't really go anywhere only at weekends if its dry ive done 400mls since August half of that was visiting MSL for the diff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom