Two features of the new E Class I don't like

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sportwag

Car
E300 Hybrid AMG Saloon - Tenorite
Colour shading of front bumper - this must be to do with the contour and the fact the bumpers are painted off the car but most Of the face lifted models that I have seen have a colour shading difference between the front bumper and the rest of the car (contrast is most noticeable side on between bumper with front wing). Seem most noticeable with lighter colours so was one of the reasons I went for the darker Tenorite but in certain light conditions there is still a difference.

Instrument cluster does not display if a door has been left open (apart from bonnet) - you have to rely on the interior light! Miss this from my Audi.

Colour difference on the metal and plastic doesn't seem to get better which baffles me. Surely someone, somewhere can suggest painting the plastics slightly lighter/darker to compensate for this.

With regards to the door ajar warning, it's a minor feature and a typical Audi customer thing to notice :D I've never noticed if it's got an alert or not and don't really remember a door not being closed properly.

Audi drivers need bells, lights and buzzers, it makes them feel like they are in their favourite bar.
A few dancing girls and a pole would make them feel right at home.

Most Audis round here come with a Pole, often more than one.

Wow "Claws" out chappies. Now now cant you be nice ?. Hahhhh. Cheers,T.

I have noticed the w204 doesn't have an ice/cold weather warning, for safety this would be nice.

While we're at it, the sunvisor isn't big enough to take my parking permit and worse, there's only one on each side instead of a double arangement for one front, one side. It almost made me reject the car and ask for my Passat back.

No colour shading on my car though, must be because I took the Coveline Blue.

On the plus side I've got my own speed camera POIs on the nav and it bongs when I approach. The only way I could get this on an A6 was to stick a TomTom on the windscreen.

Theres quite a few things that Mercedes could introduce that VAG cars have such as external temperature warning, better trip computer, better cruise control operation, good auto handbrake. All in my opinion of course but I still prefer my C class to an equivalent A4.

The shoddy trip computer and lack of outside temp was a surprise to me in the 211 to be honest.
I'd also quite like oil temp.

All of which are available on my 32 year old golf ;)

-t

Instrument cluster does not display if a door has been left open (apart from bonnet) - you have to rely on the interior light! Miss this from my Audi.

My BMW F10 520d also has the door open indicator so the MB is the odd one out.

Not very experienced with vag products. Can you expand on the items?

W211 does have outside temp.
What's wrong with the trip computer and cruise control?

My W220 has door warning.

IMHO mb do the best, most intuitive cruise control.
My last Audi had buttons on a stalk hidden by the steering wheel.

Audi drivers need bells, lights and buzzers, it makes them feel like they are in their favourite bar.
A few dancing girls and a pole would make them feel right at home.

Is that why I like Audi's:D

These are very minor issues I know but a few people were dismissing Sportwags post with 'Audiphobia'
1. My obc displays the miles left based on the current mpg not on the overall average. For instance on my 30 mile journey it might display 300 miles left at start and then 500 miles left when I arrive.
2. Current mpg only goes up to 40mpg although this might be improved on later models
3. Mpg readouts are given in multiples ie 48.7. 49.6, 50.5 etc not 50.1, 50.2,50.3 etc
4. I found the cruise control on my Passat easier to use, for instance you preselect the speed before setting it.

I did say minor issues!!!! and in my opinion. Issues that wont bother the majorit of drivers

So it seems like Mb are reducing features on newer cars then.

...or maybe there's a fault on his new E Class?

The first time I saw this feature BTW was on an 1980 Subaru DL 1300....

W113 had it Oh and my Kia Picanto has it. Plus it also shows which door/tailgate on the graphical display. Also has an ice warning, and automatically switches the computer to show the outside temp if this is activated. Agree with Piff. The Mercedes cruise control/speed limiter is the best I have used.

Last edited:
Must admit that I'm far more interested in the view through the windscreen over the bonnet than any ****ery that appears on the dashboard.

Hang on, that's what they call driving ........

Must admit that I'm far more interested in the view through the windscreen over the bonnet than any ****ery that appears on the dashboard.

Hang on, that's what they call driving ........

I dont think anyone disagrees that the main thing is the view ahead, but we are supposed to be aware of our speed and need to glance at the speedo occasionally. And some of us are interested in other data although its not compulsory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom