Two malfunctions appearing at once

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonMad

Car
W209 CLK55 AMG (stripped out) - gone :(
Hi,

Driving home tonight, in pouring rain, which may or may not be significant, I was going down a 30mph part of my commute when suddenly two malfunctions appeared on the dash simultaneously:
- washer fluid - check level
- coolant - check level

Now, as I've just got home and it's still pouring down I've not checked any levels, but I do not expect them to be low because the car has just (within 500 miles, albeit one trackday since) had an A service.

With the two warnings appearing together is this something electrical with sensors getting wet? Or do I need to check some levels?

Thanks,
Jon

Check both levels first

If they are ok then suspect a sensor fault. 9/10 its the coolant one that causes both warings to illuminate.

Check both levels first

If they are ok then suspect a sensor fault. 9/10 its the coolant one that causes both warings to illuminate.

As above, but I had it the other way around on the other halfs car. The washer sensor was gubbed and causing the other to malfunction - something to do with a short circuit with the washer sensor.

The level sensors/switches are in series in this car too, a failure on the first makes the car not able read the second one even it it was fine.

^^^^^ as above. i would suspect the washer level sensor, as it is low down at the front and subject to water ingress in some instances.

Excellent info chaps, thanks. Checked the coolant level - it's about an inch down from the lip, not 'low' in my book. Checking washer level is somewhat more difficult: the previous owner carved a chunk out of the water bottle to get ducting through from the fog light points to the brakes. He patched it but it leaks, so I can't top it up, not completely anyway. Next time I take the car out I'll see if the warning comes on again, then top the washer level up as much as poss and see what happens then.

hmm; any loss of coolant needs to be looked at sooner rather than later; unless there is a fault there is no reason for the coolant level to fall - even by an inch - which btw could be 1/2 litre.

ahh, should it be right up to the lip then?

Ive had this error too, is there a guide on how to replace the sensor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom