Two Tonne Bully

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Also, going to Santa Pod on this Saturday 12th of August. A group of AMG guys are going. Should be fun. I'd like to get an 11.9 on this run, that's my goal. But I'd still be pleased to beat my previous 12.3. Hopefully the weather stays cool like this, so it'll be similar conditions to last time.

Good to hear you're getting there buddy and looking forward to 1/4 mile results. Good luck with achieving the target!

If I can point out one minor thing that may or may not have been sorted depending on when the picture has been taken. It's the gearbox bracket that supports the exhaust. It appears missing in the pic. Possibly refitted but if not, it's worth putting it back as it takes the weight of the down/pipes off the headers. Looks good otherwise :thumb:

So car seems to be sorted and running well now.

Had many issues with tune and running way way too rich. The problem turned out to be soldering the O2 sensor harness. Do Not Do This. I hadn't read about this problem enough, and when asked by the fabricator, said sure go ahead.

It had black sooty emissions and I couldn't get MPG over 14mpg even with a long 60mph cruise. Something that should be about 25mpg for me.

Anyway, so I ended up getting new primary O2 sensors with new OEM harness, and just unplugged and tucked away the secondary O2 sensors. And after clearing codes, it now runs like a champ. MPG back to normal. Still smells a bit, but this is normal for no cats.

Fitment is probably 90% there. It has a slight vibration on the steering column, only on fast-ish right hand turn. And the passenger side slightly vibrates on the a heat-shield under hard acceleration. It'll go back for those over the next couple of weeks when I get some time. Just want to enjoy driving it for a while.

smed08-albums-e55k-amg-picture10900-longtube-pb5-headers-e55.jpg

Good to hear you're getting there buddy and looking forward to 1/4 mile results. Good luck with achieving the target!

If I can point out one minor thing that may or may not have been sorted depending on when the picture has been taken. It's the gearbox bracket that supports the exhaust. It appears missing in the pic. Possibly refitted but if not, it's worth putting it back as it takes the weight of the down/pipes off the headers. Looks good otherwise :thumb:

Thanks Alex, I'll have to look into that, as that pic is how she sits now.

This 2-piece L-shaped bracket that bolts to the channels on the pipes and the gearbox:

pic02.jpg

Meh, disappointing. Best time 12.72s @ 117mph. (Previous best 12.3s @ 116mph)

Really struggled with grip this time. And I don't think it's due to any more power than last time, as MPH was only about 1mph more. Just couldn't get a good launch at all. Best 60ft was 2.18s, which is bad. Last time I got 1.9s.

Temps were a little higher than last time, so that's a bit of a factor.

Just need more practice really.

I measured IATs this time. For the first couple of runs, starting IATs were about 35-37C. Staging lanes kill IATs, even when just leaving it off with bonnet up. Driving up to the track my IATs were about 27C, but soon as I'm stationary, it creeps up. Later runs starting IATs were 40-41C. Finish line IATs were 53-56C. I think water/meth injection would keep that in the low 30s.

I'll go again when the temps are lower, probably with some Toyo R888Rs.

Just checked, temps when I went to the track last time were a high of 10C outside. Today was about 21C.

Was a good day though Sami I will be doing it again soon need to improve my times as I think I was the main fault with my car

12.9 was my best I just couldn't get the launch right will take some more practise but I think I can get it better

With trap speeds about 1mph higher but it being 11 degrees hotter outside, suggests the engine car should be making more power with these headers, which is reassuring at least. It most certainly sounds better. :D

Some minor work done today.

Changed the IAT sensor. Old one didn't look quite as bad as some of the other pics I've seen. I feel it runs a little better, but almost certainly placebo effect. Cheap part anyway, and took 10 minutes to change, so hey ho.

Also wired in a USB charger in the glove box so my bluetooth adapter in the glove box always has a power supply that doesn't need to run to the cigarette lighter. Will also get a longer iPhone cable to run behind the dash to my phone holder to the right of the steering wheel. Tired of wires everywhere and the ashtray lid always open. Tidying up the interior.

With trap speeds about 1mph higher but it being 11 degrees hotter outside, suggests the engine car should be making more power with these headers, which is reassuring at least. It most certainly sounds better. :D

Has the map been adjusted since the headers were fitted?

Has the map been adjusted since the headers were fitted?

Yes, but from I understand the previous map may have been a custom dyno tune and maybe by Jerry from Eurocharged himself. This was a box remote OBD2 tune based on my current mods, but not based on AFRs, timing, fuel trims etc. Just a safe "guestimate" tune for now. Once I'm done with my mods I'll get a custom dyno tune again, or at least something based on some data logging.

Yes, but from I understand the previous map may have been a custom dyno tune and maybe by Jerry from Eurocharged himself. This was a box remote OBD2 tune based on my current mods, but not based on AFRs, timing, fuel trims etc. Just a safe "guestimate" tune for now. Once I'm done with my mods I'll get a custom dyno tune again, or at least something based on some data logging.

Custom road tune by Jerry

Thanks Tony. I would expect a possible power drop just from this remap alone. But with headers, will still be better overall.

Sounds like it was set up (mapped) very nicely when you ran the 12.3 as that's an excellent time given the cars are hard to launch. Suspect the new map needs doing properly to accommodate the latest mods and release the extra power.

Jules

Sounds like it was set up (mapped) very nicely when you ran the 12.3 as that's an excellent time given the cars are hard to launch. Suspect the new map needs doing properly to accommodate the latest mods and release the extra power.

Jules

Agreed, but I still think it's making at least as much power despite the worse conditions. The MPH was the same, or just slightly higher. In drag racing, MPH is more indicative of power. Can have wildly different times, but consistent MPH.

Last time I went my times ranged from 13.1 to 12.3 but MPH were within 2mph.

I still think more can be gained from a custom road/dyno tune. Road tune would be better if I can get accurate AFRs. I suppose.

Some minor work done today.

Also wired in a USB charger in the glove box so my bluetooth adapter in the glove box always has a power supply that doesn't need to run to the cigarette lighter. Will also get a longer iPhone cable to run behind the dash to my phone holder to the right of the steering wheel. Tired of wires everywhere and the ashtray lid always open. Tidying up the interior.

iPhone cable now running behind dash from drivers side fuse box to glove box USB charger. Now no more cables across the dash coming from ashtray and glove box anymore. lol

#oldcarproblems

iPhone cable now running behind dash from drivers side fuse box to glove box USB charger. Now no more cables across the dash coming from ashtray and glove box anymore. lol

#oldcarproblems

Neat. Have a look under the dash for possible Bluetooth Parrot installations and back of the car for trackers. Old ones are particularly bulky and add a lot of weight and spaghetti of wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom