Two weeks left with my SLK!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
Unbelievably, two years with my SLK have just flown by!

I loved every moment with this car, albeit I only managed 8000 miles with it.

So, feeling like I hadn't fully scratched the itch, I will be welcoming a new SLK to my drive in three weeks time! :D:D:D

A bit higher spec this time (satnav, air scarf, heated seats etc) and about £50 a month more. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

Pictures to follow when it arrives.

Will you go for diesel again?

The reason I ask is that we will probably change the Missus SLK next year and the discussion around engines has already started. I say a 6 cyl petrol and she says the 4 pot petrol will be fine. The compromise might be diesel but she does very low mileage and I'm not convinced it's a good compromise.

The performance and consumption figures for the diesel make it quite compelling, how did you find a diesel in a convertible?

Yes, I went for another 250 diesel. For me, it's more than adequate. It's a very punchy engine and feels fast especially when in S mode. When it's warm, it's quite quiet too, in fact with the roof down you're not aware the engine is diesel. I always managed high 40s and occasionally low 50s mpg too.

As regards to low mileage, I've only done 7800 in two years and haven't had a moments problem with it.

However, I'm not certain I would want to own one of these outside of warranty... The complexity of the engine and it's emission and fuel saving technology would probably lead me towards a petrol model if I was going to own one outside of MB warranty

In summary, it's a great little roadster, handles beautifully (in AMG Sport trim at least) and the 250CDI pulls very well and feels as close to a powerful petrol as a small capacity diesel could!

did you consider the new SLK300 with 245hp?

Is it adequate for long weekends away with enough storage space for a case and soft baggage?

Tony.

agree with bpsorrell. low mileage = petrol; high mileage = diesel.
I've been through very similar decisions recently and spoken to various dealerships and indy garages to get feedback. Additionally, 2 people at work have had problems with low mileage and diesels in last month - one Honda, one BMW. Both sound like DPF problems.
I'm looking to keep car for next 10 years so petrol makes sense to me - although would've loved the performance from the more torquey diesel!

Is it adequate for long weekends away with enough storage space for a case and soft baggage?
Obviously it depends how much clutter you want to take with you, but my experience with my wife's R171 SLK is that there's plenty of room for enough luggage for two for a two- to three-week touring trip in continental Europe so long as you don't mind using the hotel laundry for a few items during the trip. Shorter trips are no problem at all.

Tony.
With the roof up, yes, definitely - the boot is actually quite large when the roof isn't it there! Saying that, with the roof down and the divider in place we still managed a normal sized case, a couple of coats and a soft bag.. :)

did you consider the new SLK300 with 245hp?
No, but I probably should have... I'll see what the new SLC is like in two years time and what petrol options are available then.

agree with bpsorrell. low mileage = petrol; high mileage = diesel.
I've been through very similar decisions recently and spoken to various dealerships and indy garages to get feedback. Additionally, 2 people at work have had problems with low mileage and diesels in last month - one Honda, one BMW. Both sound like DPF problems.
I'm looking to keep car for next 10 years so petrol makes sense to me - although would've loved the performance from the more torquey diesel!
yes, it's horses for courses really. As a new lease car, all covered by warranty, a torquey, economic diesel is great. To own it is another matter. If I was to buy an SLK, it would most definately be a 350 petrol or even a 55 AMG if I could justify the costs for what would be primarily a toy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom