Two WINDOWS installations to choose from...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corned

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
I recently had to re-install Windows, but because I didn't want to risk losing everything, I installed to a new directory - C:/WINDOWS_1. Now I have two Windows installations on the PC. It isn't causing problems, however the boot sequence always stops right at the beginning to ask which one I want to boot from.

The question is - how can I remove the original version from the startup option list?

I have deleted the old original C:/WINDOWS directory, but it still appears in the boot list.

Any thoughts please?

1) right click my computer

2) click properties

3) click advanced tab

4) click startup & recovery

5) ...here you'll have a choice to choose your default OS.

6) most likely, the "time to display list of OS's" will be checked with a timeout equal to the time your computer waits until it boots without user intervention

7) UNCHECK that box, and OK out of everything.

You can also set the default time it waits to a more suitable value.

rgds
Was!

Enable ,show hidden files and folders from your windows explorer menu.
TOOLS- FOLDER- OPTIONS—VIEW TAB.
Then do a search for BOOT.INI file depending on your windows operating systems as this is a hidden system file thats points to the boot partition.
In this file, there would be two lines with your operating sytems on them.
Just delete the one you do not want, save it and restore the defaults to the folder menu

Last edited:
1) right click my computer

2) click properties

3) click advanced tab

4) click startup & recovery

5) ...here you'll have a choice to choose your default OS.

6) most likely, the "time to display list of OS's" will be checked with a timeout equal to the time your computer waits until it boots without user intervention

7) UNCHECK that box, and OK out of everything.

You can also set the default time it waits to a more suitable value.

rgds
Was!

I think he wants to remove the option, not let it boot faster.

I think he wants to remove the option, not let it boot faster.

STEP 5 - addresses the default boot option.... and if time is set to 0 he wont have any option.

He could manually go in and edit the respective boot files... the method listed does have an EDIT button as well which will edit the boot.ini file.

What version of Windows are you using? I had the same problem with Vista and removed the old version, but the method is totally different from XP.

Oldcro,

I have the same problem with Vista. It boots to a black screen asking what OS I want

How did you remove the "old" Vista please?

many thanks

Oldcro,

I have the same problem with Vista. It boots to a black screen asking what OS I want

How did you remove the "old" Vista please?

many thanks

This is what I did (I think as it was a while ago). Also I did not have a black screen but a screen with various options, two of which were the old and new Vista OS's. But this is what I did.

1. Control panel (classic view) then
2. click Administrative tools.
3. Then click System configuration.
4. Select the Boot option.
5. The small screen should show both Vista OS options with one saying current OS and or default OS.
6. Delete the one that is not the current one.

7. Don't blame me if it does not work. No forget that as you will not be able to blame me without a working computer.;)

Reading the other posts, it is very different from that in XP.

Best of luck Palfrem.

Last edited:
Thanks, chaps.

Everything is all sorted out. There were two lines in boot.ini referring to the two windows installations. Removed line referring to old installation. You now have a close relative by the name of Robert.

:)

Cheers,

Corned

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom