Two winter tyres better than no winter tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB-BTurbo

Car
B200 Turbo
Ive watched many videos and read many comments suggesting that you should always fit 4 winter tyres rather than 2 to the rear but what about comparing it to having 4 summer tyres? Surely 2 winter tyres on the rear is better than 4 summer tyres?

It's a big no-no.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Doesn't matter. There really is no point in having the rear grip if the fronts haven't got any - all you end up with is unrecoverable understeer as the car pushes straight on.

You might as well not fit any, you'd probably be better off as the handling balance would remain even.

This is a good excuse for me to buy an extra set of alloys ;)

why say - Surely 2 winter tyres on the rear is better than 4 summer tyres , when you own a front wheel drive car ???

What if you don't live in Sweden and drive on lakes?

Personally if I didn't have four tyres, I'd put them on the front axle; oversteer I can live with, but I would prefer that the front goes where I point it.

Doesn't matter. There really is no point in having the rear grip if the fronts haven't got any - all you end up with is unrecoverable understeer as the car pushes straight on.

You might as well not fit any, you'd probably be better off as the handling balance would remain even.

Would a car understeer more if there is more grip on the rear? Would 2 winters on the rear not just understeer as much as it would with summer tyres anyway but keep oversteer in check?

Would a car understeer more if there is more grip on the rear? Would 2 winters on the rear not just understeer as much as it would with summer tyres anyway but keep oversteer in check?

Keeping oversteer in check is the least of your worries in that situation. I don't really want to bore you with the physics lesson required to explain why.

Last edited:
That’s what I was hoping for as there is no explanation I can find, or demonstration where it shows how a front wheel drive car handles with rear winters on.

Perhaps this video is what you're looking for
Video Can you fit just 2 winter tyres - Tyre Reviews

Clearly the back is better than the front, but having just a pair still has a serious effect on the handling balance of the vehicle. Having the same at both ends, winter or not, maintains that balance between the axles.

Last edited:
Having 2 winter tyres on your drive wheels are def better than having none, every year i put a pair on my drive wheels, it helps me get going in the snow as my drive comes out at the bottom of a hill and without them i would never get up it, but the problem comes when folk get over confident and try and drive too fast and lose traction on the none winter tyres. As long as you drive slowly and very carefully you will be fine

You're not making a direct comparison though. The dynamics of a rear wheel drive car are different (less weight over the drive axle) and you're only looking at grip in a straight line, where the balance between axles has no input.

I have just gone back and watched that first video, wonder why they didnt have a 3rd car with 4 summers! I guarantee it would be worse than 2 winters on the drive wheels only

I have just gone back and watched that first video, wonder why they didnt have a 3rd car with 4 summers! I guarantee it would be worse than 2 winters on the drive wheels only
That doesn't sell an extra two tires. :cool:

Having two grippier tyres is bad because you'll be able to push the car further, beyond the grip of the other set of tyres. It's better that all four are balanced and the car's dynamics unaffected. You'll drive within the limit of all the tyres and any understeer/oversteer will feel completely normal to recover from.

best tread tires are put on the rear wheels not losing traction

Having 2 winter tyres on your drive wheels are def better than having none

Until you have to make an emergency stop on snow or ice, with winters on the front, the car will swap ends and spin as the rears will have zero grip. With winters on the rear, the car will simply plough straight ahead as the rears will never be able to stop it alone. The ESP will not work either as ESP requires the tyres to have some grip or it is useless. Having winters on only 2 wheels is for the mentally deranged!

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom