Two winter tyres better than no winter tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just get 4 x winters, not worth the discussion really (I resisted until now...)

It’s the pivoting motion (think direction and distance covered going around the circumference of a circle compared to the centre) and the fact that some of the sideways force will be taken up by the rear tyres that’s making me think there’s more too it.

Now you're starting to get there, and yes there is a *lot* more to it, far more than you realise. You're trying to distill several pages of complex calculations into an almost yes or no answer.

Following on, while the force may be taken up by the rear tyres, because they have higher grip levels they resist moving sideways. Examine what would happen to the arc travelled if they didn't?

Ultimately all of this only matters once the limit of adhesion is reached, that's when the exciting stuff happens. Until then it's all very mundane and boring.

Last edited:
Following on, while the force may be taken up by the rear tyres, because they have higher grip levels they resist moving sideways. Examine what would happen to the arc travelled if they didn't?

If they didn’t then surely you would be in the same position as if they were summer tyres, i.e. sliding.

Strictly a ridiculous thread as out of the 40 odd cars that i have owned this first Mercedes is the worst handling car in winter weather that i have had the pleasure to own .......the 2nd worse was the Capri 2.8 injection so clearly the wider tyres are the culprit.
Ok for Summer but being so bad at traction and steering direction in Winter plainly obvious to any owner just put 4 Winter tyres on and be safer more than sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom