Two year brake fluid change.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Datadogie

Car
C180 Komp 2005
Was just watching a YouTube from Mercedessource. He was not not recommending when changing brake fluid to pump the fluid through the old way. (pumping the pedal) The reason being that normally when you brake your pedal never goes to the floor. But when pumping your brakes it does possibly doing damage to the unused parts.
So my question is . Is it best to suck the fluid through with a Pella pump or as I have. A system using the spare tyre pressure that pushes the fluid through the system. Or does it not make any difference which way it's done as long as its done.

The Pela can pull it through . Member @OneForTheRoad suggested to me , that he just cracks open the bleed valve and let’s gravity do it’s work whilst topping up the reservoir

The comment re the old method is probably correct.

There is a school of thought that a pressure-bleed method is better than a vacuum-suck method as there is less chance of air getting into the system. May of may not be correct.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
classic ... 😁😁😁

It's been many many years since I risked the pumping the pedal method although on a new car it should be OK. I've tried vacuum and it pulled in air around the nipple threads. For several years now I've been a confirmed gravity bleeder which after all is still pressure bleeding but at very low pressure, being only the head of fluid between reservoir and bleed nipple. For that reason it works better on a motorcycle as there is more head of fluid and shorter brake lines involved. It's the new low viscosity "DOT 4+" type fluids that's made gravity bleeding a realistic prospect although the rears are still very slow compared to the fronts.

Eh? Did somebody say nipple!? :D

I have a gunson pressure bleeder, the type that uses a spare wheel to provide pressure.
I don't really get on with it so employ the other half to do pedal duties but a place a chock under the pedal to stop excessive pedal travel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom