Typical tyre wear - scrubbing the inside edges?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gtahhh

Car
E320 CDI Estate (W211)
Hi,

I've bought a 2nd hand set of 16" wheels and tyres for my car, which came off the same model car (W211). The wheels and tyres are in great condition with ~6mm tread on the Continental tyres. However, 2 of the tyres have slightly more wear on the inside edges.

My question is this: does the W211 typically wear the inside edges of the front tyres or the rear tyres? Or perhaps it wears tyres evenly and the car mine came from had a tracking error. If it wears the inside edges at the front (like my BMW did) then I'll put them on the rear to maximise the tyre life.

Thanks
-g

Last edited:
Can anyone share experience of typical W211 tyre wear?

On my dads w201 the fronts wear on the insides and the rears wear almost evenly, on my w124 it was the same, i remember on the w126's it was also the case so i believe it is the case on most models.

Last edited:
discussed many times, check out wheels in motions website which explains. w211 does suffer from inside edge wear which can be made better with camber bolts and a proper 4 wheel alignment

+ 1

Surely the best way to tell is by looking at what's already on your car? That will tell you what your car does.

I don't have a w211, but if they are wearing on the inside edge then it sounds like the tracking is out, tyres should always wear evenly.

Alps is correct, although there is only so much even WIM can do. My car is lowered and they were unable to completely eradicate the negative camber on the rears. You can get performance adjustable bolts but for the time being I have just had to live with it.

Had my CL55AMG for 18 months now - front inside edge wear as well, rears have been okay.
Changed out the rear tyres for the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta about four months ago (only 2 months of driving due to work) and these seem to be pretty even so far.
Off down to WIM on Monday or Tuesday to have a pair of Sessantas fitted to the front and also to let WIM do their magic.
Cost will be £258 maximum if all four adjuster bolts (as Alps mentioned) are needed - take away £36 per bolt and it will get cheaper.
I've had the WIM magic done in the past on an MX5 and the difference is very appreciable - it has to be about the most noticable improvement you can do to your vehicle and in my view one of the cheapest for real time smiles and the impoved safety factor in being able to point, squirt and know the car will do as you wish ( your limits will be found before the cars) - pushed the 5 so many times and it just sits on rails.
As to the Vredesteins, I've run 3ltr V6 petrol SAABS for ten years on the varying Vred offerings and they have never let me down, so now I'll have a full set on the "Beast" of a brand I have faith in (that's half the battle), Vredesteins always do well in reviews and from past experience I've no issues with having all four corners of the "Beast" fitted with them - nice tread pattern as a bonus!

I'll let you know the differences I find after the WIM magic has been completed,

Al

Thanks, all very helpful.

To answer bedwards1966: I couldn't tell from my car as it'd just had new front tyres before I bought it. Rears approaching legal limit with even wear.

I had my car's MOT done in early March, at just under 30k miles. Rear tyres were new and the fronts were the originals. The fronts appeared to have around 4mm tread across the width, yet were down to the cords on the inside edges. WIM diagnosed and fixed camber issues, but I won't know if that's fixed the wear issue for a while yet.

No car should be scrubbing the inside edges. The tracking is way off.

By that I mean camber/castor and toe, needs 4-wheel alignment and not many machines do it properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom