Tyre Advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just had a complete set of Nexen 6000's fitted to my S320. Agreed there a midrange tyre but they seem excellent! Great grip in the wet and much quieter than the previous ones. Got a great deal on 4 less that 360 quid from a local tyre fitter in surrey.

The only reason i run 235/40/18s on front and 255/35/18s on the rear is because i have 18x8.5's all round, although a 225/40/18 would fit comfortably on the front the 235 fills the front arch that little bit more. As to 265's i wouldn't go that big even with 9.5 rears unless you had the rear arches rolled.

As to the Falkens' i don't consider them a cheap tyre. I would say they offer good value for money over the Pirelli Rosso's i previously had fitted. As they are on my C55 they are getting lots of good use to see how they hold up over this year.

been doing some reading up on FALKEN FK452's..they are not bad tyres..quite ok reviews..good value for money as well..

Think bec my alloys are different size, i might have to stick with present measurements..

Just been in to ProTyres (Exeter) to get a quote for 5 off 205/55 R16 V rated, fitted, balanced, new valves and (alloy) wheels properly prepped after old boots come off.

£210 all in.

Brand name? dunno, nor care, all tyres have to meet a minimum standard to be sold in the first place.

what minimum standard is that?

That would be, amongst others...

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986.

and

Motor Vehicle Tyres (Safety) Regulations 1994.

not to mention all the usual stuff about liability for selling shoddy tyres that case an accident which turns people into T5 paraplegics etc etc.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/

------------

On a related note you'll have to check the latest Law with any resident traffic plod, but it used to be quite possible to amass £10,000 fines AND 12 points on your licence on a car or other 4 wheeled vehicles for a single stop....

I just had a complete set of Nexen 6000's fitted to my S320. Agreed there a midrange tyre but they seem excellent! Great grip in the wet and much quieter than the previous ones. Got a great deal on 4 less that 360 quid from a local tyre fitter in surrey.
I also have Nexens on my 18" set up, all round. Came with the wheels.

Good tyres. I will likely buy again

Another vote for the Nexens, seem okay grip and noise wise.

Got mine from RM Tyres but are even cheaper on e-bay

Lynall

Hi

I would be interested to hear what tyre pressures you are running with you Vredestein Sessantas. See my attached post. http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=60851
I could not fault the grip of these tyres i had Pilot Sports on C230K and in my opinion these are better, apart from the cracking:eek:

Welcome to the forum by the way

I did a search and came up with
http://www.keepthepressureup.com/index.asp?taalid=3

which says you should have them at 40 to 46 psi which I have done and the ride is very hard so I think I will move away from these and go for a softer running tyre like the Falken, I believe.
What pressure do you Kalken people out there run your tyres at?

Cheers

Exactly what it says inside the petrol flap . ;)

How do you select a tyre fitter that doesnt damage the alloy rims when they use that ugly great tyre iron thing to prise the tyre off -

Happy to pay more for the rubber to avoid this:(

that ugly 'tyre iron thing' shouldn't touch the rim - they break the bead using a press, the wheel is then clamped down (this bit does touch the rim but it should beon theinsode edges. They (should) then position a tool next to the rim which they use to get the leverage on the tyre iron

seen those bad tyre changes on a BMW 3 series at my work place..colleague had her tyres changed by a mobile service..went out to check quality..terrible..they had taken most of the lacquer off the rim..she never noticed..looked at completed job and felt sad how they treated the alloys..i told the mobile fitter..he said it was there before..emm..yup, you can see from rest of alloy..i said i know kurb damage and rim damage from their machine tools..
like andy k says, looking for a good tyre fitter is crutial..money spent on quality fit is a lot cheaper than corrosion later on alloy from bad bit and the cost lateron..

seen those bad tyre changes on a BMW 3 series at my work place..colleague had her tyres changed by a mobile service..went out to check quality..terrible..they had taken most of the lacquer off the rim..she never noticed..looked at completed job and felt sad how they treated the alloys..i told the mobile fitter..he said it was there before..emm..yup, you can see from rest of alloy..i said i know kurb damage and rim damage from their machine tools..
like andy k says, looking for a good tyre fitter is crutial..money spent on quality fit is a lot cheaper than corrosion later on alloy from bad bit and the cost lateron..

This is exactly what happened to me on a Volvo, the lacquer seal had been broken all the way around, as soon as water got underneath that was it.

I seem to remember it was the machine that caused it when the tool used to break the top seal on the tyre was used.

So whats the answer, take photos of your alloys before they start? rather go somewhere who know about these issues and take appropriate care.

This is exactly what happened to me on a Volvo, the lacquer seal had been broken all the way around, as soon as water got underneath that was it.

I seem to remember it was the machine that caused it when the tool used to break the top seal on the tyre was used.

So whats the answer, take photos of your alloys before they start? rather go somewhere who know about these issues and take appropriate care.

Actually, that is what i did before..Took pictures in high resolution..Same with bodywork..Whenever i take car to service or anything, i take photo of car..so stupid excuse of it was there before answer goes out of the window bec photo never lies..Has proved to be quite good when dealing with Tw*ts sometimes..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom