Tyre balness inner and outer edge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've not heard that last bit before? I've had the Vito MOT'd a couple of times with a narrow band of tread scrubbed off completely on the outer edge of the front tyres (a by-product of the factory suspension setup), and that just got an advisory.
It's changed since I did my Speed Awareness course. What the manual now says is:

"The primary grooves of the tread pattern must be at least 1.6mm deep within the central three-quarters of the breadth of tread and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre (see diagram 1).
Either side of the central three-quarters of the tyre can be devoid of tread (‘bald’)."

It's changed since I did my Speed Awareness course. What the manual now says is:

"The primary grooves of the tread pattern must be at least 1.6mm deep within the central three-quarters of the breadth of tread and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre (see diagram 1).
Either side of the central three-quarters of the tyre can be devoid of tread (‘bald’)."
To my mind, that’s one of the many occasions where the law is an ass. Tread on the tyre edges is where water gets shot out of the side; no tread = no water expelled = aquaplaning. Of course the extent of this issue is determined by the tyre’s cross-section shape and the level of inflation. It wouldn’t be a particular issue with a rounded cross-section that’s at a high pressure because the water would shoot out earlier. But in those circumstances, the outer edges wouldn’t have worn anyway!

I suspect the allowance for a bit of bald on a bit of the tyre is to save arguments over whether or not it’s safe. It’s not something I’d want to drive on on a cold wet day; I’d be concerned about emulating Lando Norris in Russia.

See post 21. It's changed. Get over it.

Get over it , you nearly had Ravs reaching for a pen !

Screenshot_20211020-132722_Bixby Vision.jpg

Reactions: HB
Technically speaking, you're allowed no tread on 1/8th of the tyre width on each side. So if it is a 255 you have outer 3.1 centimetres to play with.
Saying that I'd change it.

Yet another thread where semantics are being brought up by the usual suspect.
Poster#1 answers a question, Poster#2 has to question it. Just to score brownie points.

No wonder Happytalk73(Ant) quit the forum. He isn't the only one sick of it.

Well done.:doh:

Poster#1 answers a question, Poster#2 has to question it. Just to score brownie points.

When did he quit?

A couple of days ago. After another forum bitch fest.
Dam, what did I miss ?

Hi Ravs. I have exactly the same issue on my 212 wearing Michelin PS4 all round. The fronts are like yours (rears are perfect).

All my suspension is in perfect condition, 4 new shocks and new bushes recently. It’s caused by under inflation. The petrol flap says 33 psi for fronts. I’m increasing to 36. My tyres are still legal with 4mm in the centre trends.
Do you use a petrol station to pump up your tyres out of interest? The reason I ask is my fuel flap also says 33psi front and rear (18" staggered setup) so I pumped up to 33psi at the petrol station just before I went for my wheel alignment recently. When the mechanic checked my tyre pressures at the garage he said they were actually only 31psi all round and that the petrol station air pumps aren't calibrated so I too will be increasing to 36psi when using the petrol station machines in future.

I never trust the gauge at the petrol station, I carry my own . Admittedly some of the gauges you can buy these days can also be inaccurate. I tend to inflate my tyres at home as I have a compressor and a few 12V in car pumps.

If he has that’s a great shame. Seemed a proper decent lad who often was the voice of reason in any discussions. Sad to see him go. 👎

Do you use a petrol station to pump up your tyres out of interest? The reason I ask is my fuel flap also says 33psi front and rear (18" staggered setup) so I pumped up to 33psi at the petrol station just before I went for my wheel alignment recently. When the mechanic checked my tyre pressures at the garage he said they were actually only 31psi all round and that the petrol station air pumps aren't calibrated so I too will be increasing to 36psi when using the petrol station machines in future.
Were the tyres warm when you used the petrol station inflator? Pressures should be checked with cold tyres since pressure rises with temperature.

I've used higher cold tyre pressures for around a decade now over different cars and haven't experienced any over inflation center wear .

I've used higher cold tyre pressures for around a decade now over different cars and haven't experienced any over inflation center wear .
Same here, always run mine with slightly higher pressures and never ever worn out the middle.
My last tyre was wearing badly on the outside, the tyre guy said it’s because they are run flats and prone to wear on the edges if slightly under inflated as sidewall less forgiving .

I have a Michelin 12v plug in inflator bought from Halfords years ago. I wonder how accurate it is now as it’s the only thing I use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom