Tyre Bulge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tezz

Car
A180 w169 2006 2.0 cdi
so was helping out neighbour, noticed big bulge in side wall of front tyre, I told him to get it checked and as other side was just about 3.0mm to check that as well, maybe replace as a pair, his rear had a rim slow puncture after a new tyre so I suggested some rim mastic as almost certainly an rim issue.

I was surprised to hear tyre shop said the bulge in outside wall was ok and plenty left on other but rear need replacing due to leak?

It is his wife's car so maybe I was being a bit over cautious

do you think I was way off mark ? to me a bulge in any sidewall is a big NO NO

Tezz

No you were spot on the mark, I would not be going back to that tyre shop. A bulge can lead to a blow out and at speed can end in a very nasty accident.

It needs replacing immediately.

Recently I had one on my rear tyre inside wall. I could feel the car squirming at the rear on some corners and only when I got the tyres checked did they find it. they were adamant it was quite dangerous. And I agreed.

But I could feel the handling of the car change in a bad way.

You were dead right to get them to get it checked and replaced!!

Thanks all, all I can do is reinforce my concerns and suggest he get checked again some where else

im not and expert but im sure a bulge is not ok and 3mm on same axel on other side would suggest a pair

Tezz

Ignoring tyre bulges can seriously increase the risk of tyre failure. It may not be today or tomorrow but at some point in the very near future, you could experience a blowout or tyre delamination. This refers to the tread and plies of the tyre sidewall disintegrating. This, along with blowouts, can easily lead to drivers losing control of the vehicle causing potentially fatal accidents.

Bald tyres will fail an MOT but so would a bulging tyre sidewall. A bulging tyre cannot be fixed and should be replaced without delay.. If you see a bulge in any of your tyres, including the spare, get it replaced immediately, failure to do so may mean that your car insurance may be compromised.

NJSS

My tire wasn't visually damaged at all on Saturday afternoon and was initailly driving smoothly. I could feel a slight wobble develop3 about 20 miles later. Kept going for the rest of the 60 mile journey anyway. By the end of the journey it was a BIG wobble. But actually I couldn't see anything obvious on the tire.

Took it straight to the tire shop on Sunday morning, check out the attached pictures of the bulges that had developed on the inside. It's a miracle it didn't explode the previous day.

Get it replaced. If it can go from circular to this in 60 miles, then you're neighbour will be in trouble soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20210704_103401920_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210704_103401920_HDR.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210704_103404735_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210704_103404735_HDR.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 22
P.S. I replaced both fronts as a pair with some decent Michelins. Such a more comfortable, quieter ride.

@supersim65 that must have been from hitting a pothole?

@supersim65 that must have been from hitting a pothole?
I think actually cheap, aging tires which have been sat still or travelled at low speed to the shops since the beginning of the pandemic. It was the cracks in the rubber that I think led to the bulges developing.

I can confirm I certainly haven't hit anything or driven on any bad road surfaces. In fact I only very recently purchased the car (from someone who hadn't driven it much since the beginning of last year) so it could be any number of outside factors, including your suggestion yes. It was a steady development from smooth driving to the above though, not any sort of sudden change.

Tezz , are you sure the bloke actually took it to a tyre shop ? I have NEVER heard of a tyre emporium not trying to sell you a tyre at the merest hint of a problem , real or otherwise.

Yes he has a new rear, I told him to just get some rim glue FFS

I get what you saying, my bother law used to work for quick fit, they used to spray shox with wd40, cut inside of tyres, loosen off oil filters, back off wheel hub but ect.

And my 2 recent visits to a black circle garage the up sale was same

Either he was skint or they were lazy

Either way, I'm happy with my diagnosis, and insistence he get checked asap

Many thanks all

Tezz

if you go inside any half decent tyre place they have posters on the walls giving info on tyre wear and causes and when tyres should be replaced.
Any tyre place worthy should have recommended a change. it’s not even something a true place needs consulting on , in a matter of simple safety maintenance by the owner and thus as a matter of safety it needs replacing ASAP.

Last edited:
Thanks all

I hounded him in submission lol

He will take to a new tyre place

Tezz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom