Tyre Choice for S211 E320 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harleymlb

Car
2004 E320cdi Estate S211
I have decided to purchase new tyres for the front on the E class Estate.
It currently sits on Michelin 245/45/17 Y rating, but the nearside one is getting near its end of life.
As both fronts seem to have "feathered" off, the dealer thinks this is going to cause the road noise that can be heard quite prominently when you are lucky enough to find some smooth surface.
Can anyone reccommend a decent tyre that should be quiet, i also tow a caravan once a month.
I am not fussed for particular brands but the rears are also Michelins but they have plenty left in them!

Any advice appreciated.

Logic would dictate then you stick with Michelin!

Personally I would fit nothing else bar some Contisports.

I fit Contisport Contact 3s, they seem to last very well even with a bit of spirited driving and seem pretty quiet to me.

I have found Kumhos to be very good on my W211's (I've just put a fresh set on), Conti Sport Contacts are held in very high regard as well on this forum.

Conti sport 3's, Khumo Ku39s perform well but wear faster, Good year efficient grips seemed nice

ContiPremiumContact for comfort, ContiSportContact for performance - the choice is yours

(and there's also ContiEcoContact if you are that way inclined...)

I think we have done your homework for you!

Contisport Contact 3s

Conti 3 every time.

Contis came to me with a set of rims I bought. Never again. Made the 211 real noisy on any bad surface. Back on Michelins now and peace is restored.

Yes excellent advice from the Forum. I am now pricing them up online!:thumb:

If you go with Michelin they have an offer at the moment to claim voucher's for fuel at Sainsbury's, poor things have to get there sale's up somehow. .

I agree with that, I had Conti Sports on my W211 and they were very noisy, back to PS2's and peace once more.

I have conti 3's on the W212 and again they are pretty noisy, even in France on their billiard table smooth autoroutes they still made a noise, the Michelins glide quiet as a mouse.

Michelins always wear quick on the edges, it is part of their design, I wouldn't worry about the first 1" from the edge, it should look very worn.

Which Contis? Which Michelins?

Yes, the ContiSport would be noisy, the ContiPremium are quieter.

It can be misleading when you brand a brand (sorry for the pun) based on one model of tyre.

It will all be easier to follow though once the new labelling legislation comes into force...

I agree with that, I had Conti Sports on my W211 and they were very noisy, back to PS2's and peace once more.

I have conti 3's on the W212 and again they are pretty noisy, even in France on their billiard table smooth autoroutes they still made a noise, the Michelins glide quiet as a mouse.

Michelins always wear quick on the edges, it is part of their design, I wouldn't worry about the first 1" from the edge, it should look very worn.

Agree totally!

My S211 came with new'ish Contisports which although griped well and wore well were noisy.

Fitted Michelin Supersports after many many recommendations from various forums and doubt I'll ever fit anything else if the sizes are available for the car, if not then it's PS-3 instead.

Yes they are not the cheapest but they certainly are the best for all round performance car road use taking in to account Wet, Dry, Greasy handling and longevity requirements.

Some on here bang on about their favourite tire just because they like them and possible perform better in isolated conditions than others, which overall is not subjective.

You can usually single out these Trolls because they never contribute to other topics, take every opportunity to slate the competition, spout from false assumptions and tend to be that shallow that they use 'their' chosen manufacturer as their Avatar. :rolleyes:

:D

Last edited:
I recently put Conti sport 5`s and 5Ps on 18s. Cant compare them directly to my previous tyres because they were 17s (Dunlop sport maxx and Conti sport 3s) The ride was just as good despite the lower profile. Grip is much better and noise is similiar to before. Not much difference there.

I read somewhere that EU law is going to require all new tyre sold in Europe are going to have ratings for fuel efficiency, wet grip and noise performance. Should help in tyre choices in the future.

Yes they are not the cheapest but they certainly are the best for all round performance car road use taking in to account Wet, Dry, Greasy handling and longevity requirements.

Some on here bang on about their favourite tire just because they like them and possible perform better in isolated conditions than others, which overall is not subjective.

You can usually single out these Trolls because they never contribute to other topics, take every opportunity to slate the competition, spout from false assumptions and tend to be that shallow that they use 'their' chosen manufacturer as their Avatar. :rolleyes:

:D

Do you like my avatar? I'll just keep being a troll and pretend to know nothing about tyres, as there is no better/best tyre, all manufactures produce tyre's for different needs and at the end of the day, buy the tyre you like that suit's your need's.

For anyone that prefers Michelin, they have an offer for fuel vouchers if you purchase two or more of there tyre's until the end of July.

I read somewhere that EU law is going to require all new tyre sold in Europe are going to have ratings for fuel efficiency, wet grip and noise performance. Should help in tyre choices in the future.

If only it was wet (laterial) grip, it is only wet braking, so some manufacture's are now desiging tyres to just perfrom to the requirments of the new label's. .

Hmm... I've always been fond of Michelin before switching to Falken solely due to cost, but I shall be considering the Goodyear Eagle F1 in future.

There is a number on the tyres that none of them brag about, the tread wear number, the bigger it is the longer they last, allegedly. Do enquire when purchasing.

Kumho KU31 is a good tyre on RWD cars, and can be had for good prices too.

Falken FK452 is OK for the money, but again a hard ride and very noisy.

I like the Conti Sport Contact 3's, but they are no where near as quiet as Pilot Sport 2's, which in turn are not quite as quiet as Pilot Primacy's.

Having said that, I guess different load ratings can make more of a difference than different tyres??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom