Tyre choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chandler1982

Car
C300 amg
Hi all

Have the unfortunate need to replace 4 tyres on my 17 plate c class coupe with 19 inch wheels. The car come with continental run flats. Looking at Pirelli p zeros at the min but any recommendations on run flat tyres very welcome. What are you running on and thoughts?

I'd get rid, Go for Michelins in non run flat form, get a tin of gunk for the boot
This.

When's the last time you had a puncture that would require you having run-flat tyres where you couldn't (a) have the car recovered (b) limp it to a tyre shop with either gunk or a space-saver spare?

I can tell you that for me, it's 1999 when I was on a family holiday driving across the top-end of Australia; our Landcruiser got a puncture and we had to fit the spare and drive a couple of hours back to Katherine. - Even then, they just put an inner-tube in it and sent us on our way.

This.

When's the last time you had a puncture that would require you having run-flat tyres where you couldn't (a) have the car recovered (b) limp it to a tyre shop with either gunk or a space-saver spare?

I can tell you that for me, it's 1999 when I was on a family holiday driving across the top-end of Australia; our Landcruiser got a puncture and we had to fit the spare and drive a couple of hours back to Katherine. - Even then, they just put an inner-tube in it and sent us on our way.
Don't tempt fate! Sods law you might get one now! LOL

Have Pirellis MOE on ours. Ok apart from rate of wear which seems excessive compared to other cars I've owned.

Technically I did have a puncture, although it might have just been a leaking valve seat. - I drove it like that for months before I damaged the side wall and decided enough was enough, and put two new Michelin PS4s on.

The point being that I didn't need runflat tyres, I didn't need to touch the space-saver, I didn't use goop... although perhaps if I'd put the goop in early enough my wallet would be ~£200 heavier.

Tyre technology has improved in the last 20 years or so is the point I'm trying to make.

I agree .put normal tyres on and personally would go for Goodyear as111s or Dunlops. Main reason being quietness and comfort over other brands with no real drop in "performance"

Not a great lover of P zero's they wear quick,there are better tyres out there,some much cheaper.

Another vote for ditching run flats.

If you actually drive on one that's punctured it is only designed to last a few tens of miles at best and the tyre will then be too damaged to repair so what's the point...?

I've mainly tried Pirelli, Toyo, Yokohama, Goodyear and Michelin.

I'd stick with Goodyear or Michelin from experience. The F1 is good but the PS4 or PS4S is even better.

I have Goodyear F1 on mine done 15500 miles now need changing £126 a piece

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom