Tyre choices driving me crazy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisk2010

MB Enthusiast
Car
C230 w203
So I have been looking at tyres for two weeks now and the choice is driving me crazy. My rear are down to 3mm wear and the front are about 4/5mm without measuring.

Avon Zv7's were rated C on fuel up until a week ago when black circles changed it to E so I checked on Avon's site and my size 245/40 R17 is indeed an E although other sites are still listing a C rating.

So now i'm looking at Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 which most on here recommend although they'll be releasing Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5's soon so i'd expect offers to start cropping up and the cheapest I can find these is for £105 each with no discount (I like a bit of discount who doesn't) from national auto's. However they don't seem to have 225/45R17 Y 9 for the front's.

Then on to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 the most expensive and the loudest with a decibel rating of 71. I like the reviews but I can't see going for a more expensive louder tyre being a good purchase.

Michelin Primacy HP great reviews again E rating for fuel. :( Although I believe the fuel rating is based on rolling resistance which on tyrereviews.co.uk it has the lowest!? So why the E label.

I always agonise over purchases am I just being pedantic over the whole thing?

Noticed the other day that there's a 10% discount on Michelin tyres on blackcircles.com if that's any help.

Pedantic yes, but many of us are, I rationalise tyre purchases to one final observation, any new tyre will be better than the ones I have been running on for the past few months and currently at end of life, so don't sweat it too much. Goodyear Eagle F1 was my choice on the W220. :)

IMHO all you have mentioned are extremely good tyres and will worked brilliantly on your car. so it comes down to price or tread design pattern/sidewall aesthetics really! :)
Surely there are more important things to go crazy over! ;) - just sayin'
Just don't bother with the cheapest Chinese ditchfinders, now that is false economy! ;)

I tend to stick with the original make that was on the car when purchased. In both cars we have that is Bridgestone Potenza.

Thanks Ollie I've seen the code but the Eagle's are still cheaper other sites are doing £40 off 4 and £20 of among some of the offers all seem to be Michelin at the moment.

Overall I'm not going be a skin flint over a tenner a corner for better tyres, I think what I'm asking is what is the best for your money.

Thanks Matt it looks like the Goodyear's are the way to go as they tick the most boxes and I did see someone on another thread class them as "old tech" which is a fair point but the roads haven't changed and my car is old tech so not worried about that.

It just such a minefield given all the factors that make a good tyre.

I tend to stick with the original make that was on the car when purchased. In both cars we have that is Bridgestone Potenza.

Although they are original fitment after speaking with Mercedes it just means those are the tyre the car was tested on and manufacturers change they're mind all the time. The Potenza's have a big old F for economy and a B for wet grip. The Bridgestone Turanza T005 however have a great A grip for wet and an appealing B for fuel but with a hard 95 load rating.

Well Black circles don't price match "We work hard to make sure that our prices are as competitive as possible and so our online prices reflect the best possible price we can offer."

So I think I'll book in the rears with National tyres and hunt around for the best price on the fronts I appreciate the feed back guys and taking the time to reply. I need to just grow a pair, put the rubbers on and think of England. :D

See I am the same and have noticed a lot of the big popular expensive makes ratings in wet grip and rolling resistance is basically v poor when you think difference from A to F rating wet braking is 18 meters. Are they sitting back on their name?, should they be trying to improve these ratings as i suspect if your paying for the best you expect the best to perform as such. So with that in mind do you go with the rating or go with the make ? Also who comes up with these ratings, are there externally tested at a test house so fairly accurate or ?
I too will need my rear tyres replaced fairly soon so have already started looking and agree its a minefield.

My Eagle Assyms came from Tyreleader and a local tyre man fitted and balanced them for £10 per corner (including disposal of the old tyres). Delivery is from Germany, and although I ordered all 4 in one order they turned up as 2 shipments, rears and fronts (staggered setup on my 17's).

£105 for the fronts is cheap! Not too long ago I had to replace both rears while in north Norfolk 200 miles from home, 2 x 245/40 R17 assym3's cost £280 fitted!

See I am the same and have noticed a lot of the big popular expensive makes ratings in wet grip and rolling resistance is basically v poor when you think difference from A to F rating wet braking is 18 meters. Are they sitting back on their name?, should they be trying to improve these ratings as i suspect if your paying for the best you expect the best to perform as such. So with that in mind do you go with the rating or go with the make ? Also who comes up with these ratings, are there externally tested at a test house so fairly accurate or ?
I too will need my rear tyres replaced fairly soon so have already started looking and agree its a minefield.

I totally agree there doesn't seem to be a true buying guide and the euro label is a bit misleading as it doesn't give you all the information like handling and dry grip ect but it's essentially based on an energy rating I suppose but then on Black Cirlcles they have an own brand one which has better ratings than the branded ones so WTF why arn't these top of the testing list lol.

My Eagle Assyms came from Tyreleader and a local tyre man fitted and balanced them for £10 per corner (including disposal of the old tyres). Delivery is from Germany, and although I ordered all 4 in one order they turned up as 2 shipments, rears and fronts (staggered setup on my 17's).

£105 for the fronts is cheap! Not too long ago I had to replace both rears while in north Norfolk 200 miles from home, 2 x 245/40 R17 assym3's cost £280 fitted!

The £105 was for the rears which are 2 x 245/40 R17 my fronts are 225/45 R17 which are priced at £86 on Black Circles. I have a bit of an update though I called my Dads local tyre place Southall Tyres and they have matched National Tyres for the £105 fitted on the rears and beaten on the fronts at £79.60 so I'm going to get booked in with them to give them the business rather than a national chain.

Thanks again guys for the the feedback the car is all booked in for Saturday at Southall Tyres.

It has worked out £368.40 (£105.00 per on the rears and £79.40 per on the fronts) in the end but my dad hads been going there for 40 odd years and he has offered to take the car for me as we're taking the kids lego land so he might get a bit more knocked off.

Just got to plant the seed with the missus for egtting them refubished now :rolleyes:

Thanks again guys for the the feedback the car is all booked in for Saturday at Southall Tyres.

It has worked out £368.40 (£105.00 per on the rears and £79.40 per on the fronts) in the end but my dad hads been going there for 40 odd years and he has offered to take the car for me as we're taking the kids lego land so he might get a bit more knocked off.
yeah, if your dad is taking it let him pay lol :D;)

Lepsons are the go-to people if they're close enough to you!

They're a bit far away from me in Basildon i was looking at using these people but i haven't put much effort into looking around yet.

Alloy Wheel Refurbishment Essex | Paintituk.com They're only five minute from work and seem to have good reviews.

They quoted the below but i haven't shopped around yet.

"The price for the set of four 17” wheels is £275 including VAT. The wheels will be chemically stripped of all paint, any kerb damage is then removed, welded rather than using filler etc. They are then sand blasted before being powder coated inside out in the colour required. New rubber valves are fitted and we rebalance all wheels. A three year guarantee is included."

Beware the powder coating on the big hole through the middle of the wheels. I had my 968's wheels done that way, properly re-mounted with torque wrench, next time I needed the wheels off took a 4 x 2, club hammer and lots of swearing after removing the wheel bolts to get the wheels off the hubs. I then dremmel and flap wheeled the rim of each hole so they no longer bind!

Beware the powder coating on the big hole through the middle of the wheels. I had my 968's wheels done that way, properly re-mounted with torque wrench, next time I needed the wheels off took a 4 x 2, club hammer and lots of swearing after removing the wheel bolts to get the wheels off the hubs. I then dremmel and flap wheeled the rim of each hole so they no longer bind!

Blimey thanks for the tip i haven't heard that before. Anyone else had this issue?

So i bit the bullet and went for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 and they are great evening if they are a bit dated.

It amazing how bad my old tyres were not that i thought they were great at all when i changed back from my wonter tyres there was a big pull to the left which i knew was the tyres.

After putting the new tyres on the car handles much better is alot smoother and generally fells much better all around. Typically it hasn't rained for me to feel what they are like in the wet.

My dad was even impressed at the protective lip they tyres have and now he has had AMG's refubished he's a little bit more worried about protecting them.

I'll pop by the wheel refurb place later this week and get booked in as the wheel although in good nik are letting the car down down abit now.

Thanks for all the help as always guys.

So i bit the bullet and went for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 and they are great evening if they are a bit dated.

It amazing how bad my old tyres were not that i thought they were great at all when i changed back from my wonter tyres there was a big pull to the left which i knew was the tyres.

After putting the new tyres on the car handles much better is alot smoother and generally fells much better all around. Typically it hasn't rained for me to feel what they are like in the wet.

My dad was even impressed at the protective lip they tyres have and now he has had AMG's refubished he's a little bit more worried about protecting them.

I'll pop by the wheel refurb place later this week and get booked in as the wheel although in good nik are letting the car down down abit now.

Thanks for all the help as always guys.
Shame I didn't see this thread earlier, I would have suggested buying the tyres supply only from Camskill and getting the wheel refurbisher to fit them for free when you have the wheels done, would have saved nearly the cost of one wheel refurbishment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom