Tyre cracks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use silicon spray on the tires it stop them cracking like these have ,But now i see i have these cracks in the tyre tread not on the sidewalls they are like new .All down to sitting in the hot sun . I also use 4 canvas covers that the paint shop use if they have to spray a car to stop over spray on the wheels .You can purchase these off ebay . Nio more expensive tires for me next time ,,if i have to change them every few years for cracking.
It is UV radiation from the sun that perishes the rubber .

I recently bought a set of wheels that had been stored in a garage , out of the sunlight , for 10 years . There were no visible cracks or perishing , but the tyres were shot , as I discovered when I put them on the car . One tyre developed a bulge within a few days , so they were all replaced .

Tyres which aren't used tend to "dry out" as I understand it. Using them keeps them supple and "lubed" for want of a better phrase. So this doesn't help the cause for longevity.

As for age of tyres, I would only use that as a factor in deciding.

I've seen 10 year old tyres looking very fit and well and 2 year old tyres like the OPs.

Certainly wouldn't blindly-replace after a set time as it's incredibly-wasteful.
Lack of use actually seems worse for tyres , as you say flexing seems to keep the rubber in better condition.

This is particularly relevant with caravan tyres which may only do one journey a year and sit static the rest of the time .

Generally budget tyres being on a car shows the owner has cut corners on maintenance.

The car may have a stamped up service book , but that may mean it has only ever had the basic services done at the dealership, with advisory work , if done at all , being done elsewhere on the cheap .

A new set of budget tyres will certainly be less likely to fail than a set of old tyres , but we all know that some budget tyres can be lethal in terms of very poor grip in the wet etc .

I do have four premium tyres on my car , and a budget tyre on the spare wheel , the reasoning being it will get me home in an emergency, and I’ll get the proper one fixed without delay , but if I couldn’t afford brand new tyres then I’d put part worn decent tyres on from a reputable place , and have done in the past .

My point was don't assume it is the case otherwise you could be passing up a good car.

I've seen more than one example of a good car which happens to have budgets (to get it through an MOT before selling etc.).

Of course if there are other signs, then budgets would only compound that opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom