Tyre Deformation - has anyone suffered with it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
I decided to have all four wheels balanced as the car has developed a judder at speed and it's hard to tell if it's front or rear in modern cars.

Two of my tyres seem to have become misshaped, so not running true around their circumference.

It got me thinking that perhaps they had deformed with the occasional pothole thud.

Both are Goodyear Eagle F1's and are low profile at 35 and 30.

On the positive side, tyres are much cheaper than wheels.

Thoughts?

I decided to have all four wheels balanced as the car has developed a judder at speed and it's hard to tell if it's front or rear in modern cars.

Two of my tyres seem to have become misshaped, so not running true around their circumference.

It got me thinking that perhaps they had deformed with the occasional pothole thud.

Both are Goodyear Eagle F1's and are low profile at 35 and 30.

On the positive side, tyres are much cheaper than wheels.

Thoughts?

Raise the car and spin the wheels to check if they are buckled. Keep your eye on one point and make sure theirs no movement when it spins

Here's one of my wheels, all 4 were buckled

I payed £144 to have all the tyres stripped off, the wheel heated and corrected on a 1 tonne hydraulic press, and then all tyres refitted and balanced and fitted back to the car while I waited. Took around 1.5hrs

Video:
https://youtu.be/RLQsEulxcd0

Thanks.

The wheels were checked as part of the wheel balance, which is how the tyre problem was spotted.

Thanks.

The wheels were checked as part of the wheel balance, which is how the tyre problem was spotted.

If the wheels are fine I'd just change the tyres and leave it at that then :D

Maybe worth speaking to the tyre supplier and/or Goodyear technical if they have a contact you can possibly voice your concerns to?

All I would add is that it seems strange that the tyre would deform on a pothole but the notoriously weak alloy wheels haven't buckled. In other words, if the tyres had suffered impact damage surely you'd expect some damage to the wheels?

If they can't see any impact damage on the tyre possibly a manufacturing issue.

Maybe hard to prove either way but worth asking and nothing to lose :)

Has the car been left standing for a long period, possibly causing the deformation?

Maybe worth speaking to the tyre supplier and/or Goodyear technical if they have a contact you can possibly voice your concerns to?
^ That would be my approach.

In my experience tyre manufacturers always take this sort of enquiry seriously, not least because if it indicates a manufacturing problem then they can take steps to correct the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only pothole damage I've suffered to a tyre was a big bulge that appeared in the sidewall shortly afterwards (the alloy was fine). I did have a single tyre go out of round on my caravan though ... it was clearly visible after jacking up that side and spinning the wheel by hand.

I had same issue with michelins causing imbalance and vibration. Also they caused car pull to one side. If tyres were new or close to new it would be worth getting in touch with manufacturer, but it wasn't the case for me.

You are lucky already to have diagnosed vibration to tyres. Now you can try Michelin PS4s and tell us what they like :-D

You are lucky already to have diagnosed vibration to tyres. Now you can try Michelin PS4s and tell us what they like :-D
At the rate E63's get through tyres you wouldn't have had to wait that long anyway ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyre quality has come a long way,it is not often you get a deformed tyre now,I would contact the makers,if I read your posting right these tyres are running twisted as though the tread is not straight,the most common defect is a bulge in the wall,which may or may not have been caused by the tyre having hit either a curb or pot hole,see what Goodyear say ,if you bought the tyres local have a word with them.

All I would add is that it seems strange that the tyre would deform on a pothole but the notoriously weak alloy wheels haven't buckled. In other words, if the tyres had suffered impact damage surely you'd expect some damage to the wheels?

If they can't see any impact damage on the tyre possibly a manufacturing issue.

Maybe hard to prove either way but worth asking and nothing to lose :)
Yup. One usually follows the other. I had a nearly new Pirelli PZero 255/35 zr19 on a AMG Sport 19" on my previous x218 CLS shooting-brake develop a bulge a week after I'd hit a pothole on the motorway at night.

When I took it to HiQ they showed me that the band had failed and showed me that the rim was also buckled as a result.

I had them fit a new tyre and balance the wheel. Then I took the wheel and got it straightened, refurbished and rebalanced.

Thankfully I have wheel and tyre coverage otherwise it would have been an expensive evening motorway drive in the rain.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Tyre quality has come a long way,it is not often you get a deformed tyre now,I would contact the makers,if I read your posting right these tyres are running twisted as though the tread is not straight,the most common defect is a bulge in the wall,which may or may not have been caused by the tyre having hit either a curb or pot hole,see what Goodyear say ,if you bought the tyres local have a word with them.

It's more that the tyre seem to be no longer circular - with the out of shape being seen as the wheel was spun fairly quickly on the balancer - a hump if you like.

I had a vibration following fitment of two new tyres on the C32. It forget the details now but it didn't come on straight away, but soon after, subtle at first and the progressively worse. The tyre fitter sent the back to Pirelli, and I paid for new tyres. Pirelli checked them, confirmed there was a manufacturing fault and send me a full refund, despite having been well used. If you consign yourself to replacing them, then it may be worth sending the misshapen tyres back to the manufacturer for analysis - you may get a pleasant surprise.

I had a vibration following fitment of two new tyres on the C32. It forget the details now but it didn't come on straight away, but soon after, subtle at first and the progressively worse. The tyre fitter sent the back to Pirelli, and I paid for new tyres. Pirelli checked them, confirmed there was a manufacturing fault and send me a full refund, despite having been well used. If you consign yourself to replacing them, then it may be worth sending the misshapen tyres back to the manufacturer for analysis - you may get a pleasant surprise.

That's very interesting, thanks Rob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom