Tyre does not seem to fit!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Noticed some front wheel kerbing on my S204. Even after interrogation, the only other person to drive is SWMBO who denied all responsibility of course! :rolleyes:

I did however notice that the front tyres do not seem to fit very well despite being the correct size as per the handbook/duel flap (225/40/R18) The pics attached show what I mean. The rim protector is nowhere near the outside edge so does not protect against mystery kerbing!! Am I missing something? Could the tyres have been put on incorrectly? Rears are fine

front.jpg back.jpg

Are the tyres the same make/type/size front and rear, are both fronts showing the same 'misfit'?

Is the rim 8J? 8.5J?

Also, are the tyres same size front and rear?

Hi , have you got staggered wheel combination on your car and if so have the tyres been installed on the correct wheels.

On the front tyre has a tyre seal been used ?

Hi , have you got staggered wheel combination on your car and if so have the tyres been installed on the correct wheels.

On the front tyre has a tyre seal been used ?
Yes, correct tyres on relevant wheels

Don't know about tyre seal - how can I tell?

Yes, correct tyres on relevant wheels

Don't know about tyre seal - how can I tell?

I am guessing that you have narrower tyres at the front than at the rear (aka staggeredwheels), but for some reason all 4 rims are the same width?

Normally, with staggered wheels, the rear rims will be wider than the front ones.

Are the rims original factory fitment (came with the car from new), or are they aftermarket rims?

This is from the original accessories brochure for 2011 W204:

Screenshot-20210825-221434-Drive.jpg

As you can see, in either case the rear rims are wider than the fronts.

And BTW, according to this, your rear tyres should be 255/35 R18, not 245/35 R18?

Your wheels are I presume the 5 twin-spoke option, but it's not entirely clear from the picture. Whatever they are, that front tyre does appear to be too narrow for the wheel. Get a front wheel off and find the Mercedes part number (if there is one), and somebody on here will tell you the wheel width from that.

If the wheel spokes are evenly spaced, not paired, which it looks as though they are from the rear wheel picture, those are not OE option wheels as in post #9.

Last edited:
It doesn't help that the tyre doesn't look to have much of a rim protector. The offerings from Goodyear and Michelin for example are significantly more prominent.

Not sure what rims you have.

Your avatar shows 7-spoke which is one of the OEM options illustrated by MJ. Your first photo shows 10-spokes, which doesn’t appear to be one of the OEM options. So, if an after-market or non-standard set has been, they may not be staggered rims.

The only way to be sure is have rims off front and rear and see what numbers are on the inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom