Tyre Dressing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
What Tyre shine do you use?

Either Armorall Spray, or anything that comes in a spray can from Hellfords - the effect seems to be much the same - lasts longer and has a more Matt finish with the Armorall though - the other sprays are more wet look / shiny.

S.

Wonder wheels. Also come in handy for black plastic trims as well.

I always use the spray type, the gell one's always seem to make a mess on the wheel and on your hands!

Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing

Armoroll spray works well, and isnt too expensive!

Meguiars Endurance if I want a wet-look shine, not for this time of year though as it seems to attract the dust. It lasts much longer than all the others.

Mostly use Autoglym as it is easy to apply although I find it goes brown quickly.

Car Plan Tyre Silk,
Just sprays on like a shiny film, No need to rinse of or nothin.
Its Auto Express Magazines repeated product winner. I buy it for 4 guys in work after they asked me what I use on my tyres.

Autoglym.

tyredressing.jpg

Usually leaves 4 nice shiny spots on the driveway too! My Mother asked how to get rid of the shiny spots, I said there wasn't a way, but that she could buy lots of tyre shine and shine-up the whole driveway with it, now that would look nice! :)

Quick tip: Always wipe your wheels after using the tyre stuff, brake dust sticks to it really easily and after a decent run your wheels get nice and hot and bake that dust/gel combo right into the surface :(

Turtle Wax Extreme (in the green bottle). Applied by hand, which is a bit of a pain, but smells luverly and lasts for ages.

Cheers

Andrew

Currently trying the Auto Glym stuff. Usually use the Car Plan Tyre Shine which comes as a foam spray and covers the tyre really well. Bargain at £3.50 too! :)

i used the autoglym stuff too , the silicon in it made mine turn brown too :mad:

I just finished a can of Simoniz Back to Black Tyre Shine. I was pleased with the results however, I've now opted for the CarPlan version which, as mentioned before, came top in an Auto Express test. Not had chance to try it yet.

Don't use it, for a variety of reasons:

1) The glossy finishes makes tyres look shite, IMHO;
2) I have also been the unfortunate homeowner with shiny spots on the drive;
3) In our climate the finish lasts about two seconds, then its back to square one

What I do instead is wash the wheels with the bucket of suds and a stiff bristled brush immediately before attacking the alloys. It keeps the tyres clean without the Kevved up look of shiny tyres.

Originally posted by GregE240
Don't use it, for a variety of reasons:

1) The glossy finishes makes tyres look shite, IMHO;
2) I have also been the unfortunate homeowner with shiny spots on the drive;
3) In our climate the finish lasts about two seconds, then its back to square one

What I do instead is wash the wheels with the bucket of suds and a stiff bristled brush immediately before attacking the alloys. It keeps the tyres clean without the Kevved up look of shiny tyres.

Oooooh!:D

It's not just for cosmetics, it also protects the tyre rubber from splitting and cracking and getting dirty. Rubber is a natural product so needs feeding like leather does.

If you dont like the glossy finish you can always wipe them before the stuff dries for a matt finish.

Each to their own, I know what you mean about the glossy look. So that means were all Kevs then??:bannana:

I much prefer the look with tyre shine on, finishes off the car after cleaning it. Shame about my drive though, makes it look like I've had an oil leak.

park in one of your neighbours driveways when you know they are out .. preferably one with a rover who will just think it is an oil leak :p :bannana:

My neighbour tells me that in South Africa people use black shoe-polish to blacken their tyres. He said it works well and they stay shiny for ages :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom