Tyre Dressing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
I know the subject has come up before so please bear with me. Over quite a period of time I have been trying out most of the commonly available tyre dressings. What I have been looking for is- long lasting finish; easy to apply (don't want the job of having to clean the wheels after applying tyre dressing) ;and pleasing result (nice matt black finish and definitely not gloss) Out of my tests, No 1 is Autoglym Rubber Cleaner (trade item-comes in 5 litre can- not to be confused with what comes in 500ml containers) . You apply it with a brush, so no nasty overspray. The finish is great and lasts longer than anything. The only downside is that it should be applied to dry tyres ( so best to apply the day after you wash the car) ps I have no connection with Autoglym !

Have you tried rain-x on top of the dressing?

It should be ok with rubber, after all it doesn't degrade windscreen seals or wiper blades.

Try this stuff, scroll down till you reach "Black Shine Restorer.

https://nt12.orbital.net/astonish/products.asp?cat_id=c10

Its like painting with water but I have been using it quite a while and it gives the results you are after, ie low gloss, applied if damp etc. I found that I needed a couple of applications, with a 1/2 paint brush, at first but now they only need the odd one after every other wash or so. It dries as quickly as water also and the most expensive I've seen is £1.99 and the cheapest is £1.00.

Portzy.

In all the years of trying various products, the best so far is the Turtle Wax tyre gel.

You simply apply some gel to a small piece of sponge (if you are fancy then for £4 from halfrods you can buy a dedicated foam pad with a rubber handle) and rub it onto your tyres. It lasts for a good few washes and gives the tyre a 'new' look.

I have yet to find a better tyre product.

I use Turtle Wax spray and is is good and lasts ages. I spray a bit on the tyre wall and use a old sponge to spread it it.

Turtle Wax Extreme tyre Gel is the best, ive tried many over the years and this stuff (I apply with a small sponge), stays on for ages unlike some of the sprays and foams around, smells nice too! Bright green bottle in halfords, normally the extreme stuff is 3 for 2 offers.

I thought the gels kicked off the gel when driving & flicked itself up onto the side of the car - anybody else experience this?

I thought the gels kicked off the gel when driving & flicked itself up onto the side of the car - anybody else experience this?

Nope, you're only meant to use a small amount! Use the sponge to spread it out evenly.

I use Turtle Wax spray and is is good and lasts ages. I spray a bit on the tyre wall and use a old sponge to spread it it.

I agree , i use the extreme wheel wax too. Excellent combo

I use the Autoglym stuff which is OK if not wonderful.

But why. oh why, every time I get my car back from service, are the tyres dressed with some vile sticky black gunge? Do they think they are doing me a favour?:mad:

I use the Autoglym stuff which is OK if not wonderful.

But why. oh why, every time I get my car back from service, are the tyres dressed with some vile sticky black gunge? Do they think they are doing me a favour?:mad:

Probably some of your old engine oil! :D

I did know one guy that did that :crazy:

the extreme stuffs pretty good as long as its spread on properly! lasts ages too.

I have tried them all and even imported stuff from the USA.
Meguiars is good, Autoglym OK but guess what I now use good old Turtle Wax Extreme tyre gel from Helfords. (It is interesting they also do Turtle Wax Premium range in a racing green container this smell and seems exactly the same as the Extreme, I think it may just be repackaged Extreme for boy racers, Premium for old people ;) I use either depending on price and how I am feeling at the time) Turtle Wax is rubbish for most things but they seem to have got the tyre gel issue sorted.

Best application method for tyre treatments is a small square of sponge. The treatments do seem very sensitive to the application method cloth is not very good for some reason. Using a sponge means you dont get flick off as you apply a nice thin layer.

I use old sponges and just cut them into 2 inch cubes.

I try to exploit my daughter and pay her 50 pence to clean an alloy wheel and also apply the gel to the tyres. (Sadly she has recognised she is being exploited now and refuses to do this on a weekly basis so car is not looking as good as it used to):mad:

A vote for the Meguiars Tyre Endurance Gel here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom