tyre dressing

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by david b, Sep 27, 2004.

1. david b

david b Active Member

started thread on tyre pumps seemed to create interest.
    now wondering which is the best tyre dressing?

2. uumode

uumode MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W205 C300 AMG Line Premium Plus
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  3. R2D2

R2D2 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C350
    I've never tried Tyre Silk, but that review is good. I like Comma Wheel Black and dont like Auto Glymns coz it eventually turns brown!

4. gklau

gklau Active Member

Car:
    C180K Avantagarde SE
    I use Meguiar's, lasts long and keeps tyres from turning brown..but very messy and a pain to apply

5. jimmy

jimmy MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
    I found Meguiars good but messy and stays sticks so attracts dust. I always use Auto Glym Instant Tyre dressing, a quick squirt after washing, even on wet tyres and they look the biz!

6. sym

sym MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220CDI Sport
  7. Goldfish11

Goldfish11 Active Member

Car:
    C220 CDI (09/11 - Facelift) & SLK200
    Its Meguiars Endurance for me. Apply it with a peice of sponge. Does a really quick nice clean job. Much cleaner than Autoglym Tyre Dressing you spray it on and it runs down my nice alloys :mad:

Tyre dressings do seem to be sensitive to application method. Meguiars on a cloth is not much good. Applied with sponge its great. I save my old wash sponges which are too dirty to use on the car and then cut these up for tyre dressing and bumper blacking jobs.

8. KLP 92

KLP 92 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes S600, SL600, C250TD
    I use the Turtle wax Gel. Its in a green bottle and is awesome. It doesn't just wash of either and give the tyres a nice matt shine. I swear by it :D

9. gklau

gklau Active Member

Car:
    C180K Avantagarde SE
    Wow Goldfish. Never thought of that. I've got to give a try next time I wash my car. Thanks for the idea.

10. Aletank

Aletank MB Enthusiast

I used to use Car Plan Tye Silk and was fairly happy with it - Only problem was, with it being a aerosol, any wind out when applying, use to make it a bit difficult.
    I've moved to Meguires Endurance Gel, I apply it with a little square dish wash sponge cut in half. Results are good !

11. uumode

uumode MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W205 C300 AMG Line Premium Plus
    Also, any aerosol/spray the overspray can end up on the bodywork.

The Turtle Wax stuff is really gunky.. and I unfortunately sprayed it onto my black bits skirts, lower bumpers, and when watching the car with a sponge, it just greases up the sponge no end!

12. RichardM

RichardM MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 CLS350 CDI
    I've tried Meguairs (once) and it was really messy to apply, and most ended up splattered down the side of the car when I next drove it. Autoglym Instant dressing for me! No fuss at all and its never turned my tyres brown.

As I've still got the bottle I'll give Meguairs another ago with a sponge, thanks for that tip.

13. fgaffney

fgaffney Active Member

Car:
    1999 C200 Sport
    I use that too and it's excellent. I bought some small hard wearing household sponges and apply it using a slightly damp one of them. The results are glossy at first and then they go a nice matte finish after you wash the tyres. I normally leave mine glossy for a couple of days and after 6 weeks they still look fresh.

Among others I've tried Autoglym gel, Nilsen foam and Wonder Tyres and the Turtle Wax is my first choice.

14. sym

sym MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220CDI Sport
    Me too .... lasts for ever as well - only a very small amount needed.

S.

Tags: