Tyre fitters strike again...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
My sister & family pitched up late last night, staying overnight before heading off to Germany for Christmas & New Year.

After years of me going on, they finally got around to getting a set of winter tyres fitted earlier in the week but last night much moaning that the car did not feel very stable. Hmm.

Asked if they had checked tyre pressures and got expected blank look.

So out in the wet darkness last evening to discover that on a vehicle with nominal inflation pressures of 32 psi all round were, variously, 47, 51, 56 and 58 psi.

Quality work from a nationally advertised chain of rip off merchants using minimum wage numpties

Are you certain your gauge is good?

Oh yes.

If it were reading out to that degree, I would be running my own tyres at about 5 psi!

Those pressures are probably higher than the tyres are rated too!

I checked that out as soon as I saw the readings: sure enough 51 psi max.

Oh and of course the wheel nuts were on gorilla tight. Should have been 90Nm but I needed to put a lot of effort on a breaker bar to slacken them.

3.2 bar=46.4psi probably what happened,dangerous numpties.

Although this is very annoying and unsafe I dont think we should refer to people as 'minimum wage numpties' without knowing the facts. The equipment could have been out of calibration etc. Lots of people have choose or have to work for low wages but dont deserve to be called numpties.

The equipment could have been out of calibration etc.

Hahaha , yeah maybe

Or perhaps the spotty oik was more preoccupied with where he was going to get some skunk from for Friday night ?

Or maybe a genuinely young hard working guy that just hasn't been trained properly or at all....

I have no more to add at this point.
i dont know any of the tyre fitters, the company or the depot, so I am unable to comment on their facial flaws and ingestions and dont wish to speculate.
Us oiks were taught to be polite, respectful and think the best of others.

I fitted two Pirelli's to my SLK last week and 4 NEXENS on my VW camper only yesterday......the normal fitting method to get the bead to pop out onto the rim is to initially inflate without the schrader valve core to a fairly high pressure, then fit the core back in the valve as the tyre is deflating.
My guess is that the random pressures you have are a result of NOT then re-adjusting afterwards....just an oversight I would have thought....still, not good work.
The over tight wheel bolts are another corner cutting exercise, obviously tightened with an air gun and not correctly torqued after refitting.

Martin

Last edited:
Lots of people have choose or have to work for low wages but dont deserve to be called numpties.

I too find the derogatory terms used on here to put people down, somewhat irritating.

I checked that out as soon as I saw the readings: sure enough 51 psi max.

Oh and of course the wheel nuts were on gorilla tight. Should have been 90Nm but I needed to put a lot of effort on a breaker bar to slacken them.

90Nm doesn't seem that tight. My C250 needs 130Nm.

Although I don't necessarily agree with name calling it is hard not to react to what was clearly very poor service. Even more so when you consider the possible implications of running tyre pressures that high.

Martin

Although I don't necessarily agree with name calling it is hard not to react to what was clearly very poor service. Even more so when you consider the possible implications of running tyre pressures that high.

Martin

Of course it is. Posters could just say they checked the pressures and found them to be incorrectly set.

Name calling is for childish bullies.

Have you called to complain?

I really hope the company has been informed,before their poorly trained fitter
over inflates someone elses tyres,some people may not be as switched on as
the op and could have a very serious accident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom