Tyre fitting costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabes

MB Enthusiast
Car
E 400 Coupe and X-Trail
Looking at fitting costs for 2 or 4 18" tyres on alloys from mytyres.com

Anything from £13 to £20 a wheel, which has surprised me.
Urban myth that it was £10 a tyre , perhaps rounding up to £50 for 4 don't seem to hold up.

To be fair spending £400 on tyres and then skimping on £20 and not getting a decent job is a false economy of course,, but £80 for 20 mins work seems a little steep

Are those prices you would expect or pay?

It's not just fitting but disposal of the old tyres and new valves and balancing too.

Priced up new tyres from ATS.

Tyre cost plus

£3.99 for valve
£6.99 balancing
£1.69 scraping old tyre

So £12.67 fitting per corner

Last edited:
And VAT, I get that, but still......

Only would be binningnthe rears the fronts are 6 months old and good Hankooks

Am toying with now being the right time (as the backs are at 1.7mm) to buy winters....:dk:

But that ATS price is good.
Probably only that price if you buy the tyres from them ( off to their site just in case......)

Last edited:
Valves cost bog all
Balancing cost bog all
Tyres are approx 50p to recycle

I know because my family deal in tyres and scrap tyres

Hmmmm

ATS site is poor ( on a tablet) but its better than their range of tyres

They seem to be more service focussed:confused:

Valves cost bog all
Balancing cost bog all

How much would you charge/expect to pay?

Valves cost bog all
Balancing cost bog all

So at £2 a tyre disposal they are making another 'turn' and not just doing us a favour.
They do have a business to run through so it is what it is

A decent job is worth a few quid I suppose

So at £2 a tyre disposal they are making another 'turn' and not just doing us a favour.
They do have a business to run through so it is what it is

A decent job is worth a few quid I suppose

Yep personally I think more important is machinery/operator so as not to damage wheels. I would expect £10 per rim to swap tyres over.

My local fitter charged £10 per wheel to remove wheels and tyres, fit and balance new tyres then fit wheels to car! Did an excellent job (rear tyres on 968 cab).

It's £10 a wheel at my local fitter to fit my winter tyres and balance, and I think he charges £1 a tyre that needs disposal which is same as the council charge.

A local guy (just one guy in a hut on a side street) used to change tyres for £5 each for me, that's with valve, balancing (not a massively thorough job but he gave them a quick spin).

£80 for 20mins work might seem like a really good hourly rate but pretty much every time i pass by a tyre shop most, if not all, of the staff are sitting idle with empty bays or sweeping the floor...

If i take the wheel(s) to a local tyre shop and don't 'need' a receipt it usually costs a tenner for a puncture or to fit & balance a tyre i supply and dispose of the old one. When it comes to balancing the wheel gets spun up once, they stick on however many weights the machine calls for and call it done.
Instead i'd rather pay a local mobile fitter £15/wheel (last year) as Andy Alabama will remount the tyre to minimise the number of weights needed instead of sticking loads of the things on and then spin the wheel up again to check all is good. Other nice touches are things like wiping off any excess lube/sealant instead of splashing it around liberally. A little more ££ but waaaaaaay better value

I'm having 2 tyres. michelin energy saver, supplied and fitted tomorrow at Kwik fit for £161.98. Mytyres.com are quoting £134.80 This would save me £13.59 a corner to fit.

Maybe the saving is worth it with more expensive wheels?

Personally I've had no problems with Kwikfit before either, but only use them for tyres.

Have decided to go for a full sent of winters from Oponeo

What the 'ell
I wanted a V6, I got a V6
I have wanted to try winters, so I will (and more than most, this RWD CLK with 255's worries me). I crashed my last merc in the snow.....
A lot cheaper than the national chains and indeed most dont do the Hankook tyres that I have set my sights on.

Phoning around local fitters Inc a mobile one or two to see if 10 mins of calls can both save me a few quid, but also resolve where the tyres are delivered tomorrow and then get it done. Price for 4 and saving for 4 is significant

Will report back ;)

Last edited:
I'm having 2 tyres. michelin energy saver, supplied and fitted tomorrow at Kwik fit for £161.98. Mytyres.com are quoting £134.80 This would save me £13.59 a corner to fit.

Maybe the saving is worth it with more expensive wheels?

Personally I've had no problems with Kwikfit before either, but only use them for tyres.

Make sure you get 100% Nitrogen in your Krap-fit tyres. :bannana:

Local place to me £10 for all four, school friend runs the business

Everyday price £10 per corner seems the norm though

Make sure you get 100% Nitrogen in your Krap-fit tyres. :bannana:
I don't think nitrogen will make any noticeable difference but they do include it.

Its Kwikfit actually.

£12 a corner from the local indi recommended by Carl and MBS in Southampton (thought I would give them a call)
Happy enough with that

4 (winter) Hankooks will arrive there ahead of next weekend and then the Merc will be on winters for the next 3 to 4 months

Again, will report back

£12 a corner from the local indi recommended by Carl and MBS in Southampton (thought I would give them a call)
Happy enough with that

4 (winter) Hankooks will arrive there ahead of next weekend and then the Merc will be on winters for the next 3 to 4 months

Again, will report back

Hi,
I notice you are in Southampton, I normally use Totton tyres, they quoted me £20 for all four wheels plus disposal charge for the tyres, they have also so far been very competitive with tyres I have bought from them, matching or getting to within one or two pounds of the best internet price I could get.
Going to be getting a pair of rear tyres for the CLS 55 in the next week or two but need to arrange to get the car booked in for a 4 wheel alignment straight after having them fitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom