Tyre life on my C124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

del320

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
1996 E320 Coupe
Following recommendations that Dunlop BluResponse Sports would compliment the ride characteristics of my C124, they were duly purchased and fitted. I've always favoured Michelins over the years, primarily for their acknowledged wear qualities.

I'm now steeling myself for a fourth set of tyres. (205/60 R15 95V)

02/04 79621 mls - Michelin Primacy lasted 65 months at 355 miles p/m
06/07 102658 mls - Michelin Energy lasted 75 months at 430 miles p/m
10/15 134968 mls - Dunlop BluResp lasted 37 months at 375 miles p/m :eek:
11/18 148864 mls - Michelin Cross Climate about to be fitted...

I am aware some brands - Pirelli - are notorious for soft rubber and short life, but I was not expecting quite such a poor performance from the Dunlops. I know they were cheaper and perhaps saved me 2 mpg, but that's no compensation.

Needles to say the four tyres are nice and evenly worn and after the rear suspension refurbishment, the car drives straight and true.

A lesson learned! :wallbash:

What size cross climates are available for the 124 del...?

Following recommendations that Dunlop BluResponse Sports would compliment the ride characteristics of my C124, they were duly purchased and fitted. I've always favoured Michelins over the years, primarily for their acknowledged wear qualities.

I am aware some brands - Pirelli - are notorious for soft rubber and short life, but I was not expecting quite such a poor performance from the Dunlops. I know they were cheaper and perhaps saved me 2 mpg, but that's no compensation.

Needles to say the four tyres are nice and evenly worn and after the rear suspension refurbishment, the car drives straight and true.

I really like the ride quality of Contis on my e320 c124, but their life expectancy is only marginally better than your Dunlops. I don't want to think that its my driving style that's at fault - maybe these cars are just hard on their tyres.

Well I have used Michelin and Conti's and found them fine but of course expensive, I had the same result with Pirrelli P Zero,and they wore out so quick,it was a disaster,for cost and long life I found that Nexen tyres are very hard wearing and of course cheaper than any mentioned,but more than any other subject on this forum tyre choice is the most hotly debated,I take the line that I am never going to drive my car anywhere near the limit of it's capabilities in terms of speed and the ability of tyres to keep me on the tarmac .

That's what lot of people think until they have to brake - in a corner - in the wet- turning to miss the child on the push bike at the same time, that's when it's nice to know you have the best you can get on there, a properly tyred and maitained car will stop shorter too, nothing worse than one of those in front of you...

I'm not a tyre snob by any stretch but cross climates are one awful looking tyre ! We found they wore out quite quick and went back to the energy's

Why not go back to Michelin Energy?

Now that I permanently live in the wilds, there have been times I have been unable to get out of my drive - let alone out to the main road a quarter of a mile away - with an inch of lying snow.

Cross Climates are being purveyed as the answer to all our prayers, so I'm thinking of giving them a try.

I note poormanporsche's comment but they must have better wear qualities than the Dunlops and less of the treachery of summer Energys on an old RWD Merc!

Be good to hear your comments on Conti's if ever a set found their way onto your car too del... just as a comparasion and then take em off. Pity I'm not in the UK - or just as well some may say! :):)

Just to add I had a set of cross-climates on a C180 estate and got 22k for the rears and almost 30’s on the front. They were a life saver in the rain we get all winter long here in West Wakes. People comparing tyre wear is too subject IMO as ever vehicle is going to have different camber, toe settings but honestly cross climates are the best tyre iv ever had. Did a pan European trek from 27 degrees at bottom of Alpine passes to meters high snow drifts at the top and the tyres dealt with everything that was chucked at them with ease. I honestly think if you live in Northern Europe these tyres are the new go to. Shame they don’t do them in rear sizes for the C250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom