Tyre Loading - Trucks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
Something that has puzzled me about tyre loads and weight transfer.

I can see why large trucks/PSVs have multiple wheels/axles on the rear, to spread the weight but what happens to that weight when cornering/braking? Surely it transfers forward to the front wheels and these are shod with, what looks like, very normal 'skinny' tyres?

Can't answer that, but those lengths of tread lying at the side of the road give me the heeby-jeebies!

Has anyone ever been in close proximity when a lorry has shed one?

The weight doesn't move forwards when cornering, it moves sideways and as most standard axles are rated at 8t swl this is fine. The 'skinny' tyres can still handle over 10t, my front tyres are super singles rated at 15t as my tractor weighs 20t due to the crane.

When braking the weight doesn't transfer as far forward as the front axle due to vehicle length, on an artic weight is usually transferred to the rear drive axle which is usually twin wheel per side capable of handling 16t.

Last edited:
The depth and breadth of knowledge on this forum never fails to amaze me! :thumb:

I've been along side a truck when it had a blow out....

Not good, I almost did the same !!!

I've not had a blowout for some time, I used to carry floor tiles and all in was close to 43t, the main cause for blowouts are uneven roads as when the trailer bounces this puts extreme pressure on the trailer tyres which, next time you see a truck having a tyre changed, is the main area where tyres go. I now do mostly portakabins at a max of 6t so blowouts are rare, punctures after going on site are common tho :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom