Tyre Obsessing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

96SPEC

Car
W205
Coming round to 18months and 10k with my W205 C63 and new tyres will be needed shortly. Tyre wear was a big concern pre ownership however given the car had ~5mm of tread when I bought it used I am pretty happy with that. With 11k on the clock when purchased the tyres were unmatched with ContiSport 3 on the front and Michelin PSS on the back. I havent quite determined an explanation however I am thinking that one of the pairs must have been original which if true then 21k miles is very good. The fronts showed early signs of cracking when I bought it so likely those are the originals.

Anyway am now invariably tyre obsessing. MPS4S only come in 19" flavour which is a mighty shame although maybe this is a reasonable excuse to go up to a 19" wheel - something which I had originally avoided given early reviews persistently mentioned harsh ride which actually isnt something I have found.

The MPSS seems to be the best option but I found them to be quite soft and bouncy on the rear and lacking in feel although admittedly having 4 all round might give better overall benefit.

I am surprised I cannot find any Contis in the right size. Bridgestone reviews arent really great against the competition and Pirellis and Goodyear are suffering from my brand bias to others.

I really would love to entertain some Yoko A052s - they come in the right size but at 260 for a rear thats going to cost 1k and ~400 more than a set of MPSS.

Hankook Ventus Evo 2 are a possible option and coming in at ~450 is in someways attractive.

Any other suggestions I am missing? or any aftermarket or used 19s people recommending?

These Brabus are lovely things Brabus Monoblock F Wheels (Liquid Titanium): Mercedes Benz C63 AMG & C-Class W-S-C 205 | Scuderia Car Parts

giphy.gif

Tyre reviews, tests and ratings - Tyre Tests and Reviews @ Tyre Reviews

Exactly that - another tyre thread lol. What is it with tyres! argh...

Already warped to justify spending 3k on wheels to get the tyres I want. lol

I am surprised I cannot find any Contis in the right size. Bridgestone reviews arent really great against the competition and Pirellis and Goodyear are suffering from my brand bias to others.

I really would love to entertain some Yoko A052s - they come in the right size but at 260 for a rear thats going to cost 1k and ~400 more than a set of MPSS.

Hankook Ventus Evo 2 are a possible option and coming in at ~450 is in someways attractive.

Any other suggestions I am missing? or any aftermarket or used 19s people recommending?

These Brabus are lovely things Brabus Monoblock F Wheels (Liquid Titanium): Mercedes Benz C63 AMG & C-Class W-S-C 205 | Scuderia Car Parts
Dismissing Goodyear because of brand bias but considering Hankook (a very respectable brand) is an odd choice.

Anyway, as has been quoted, there are tyre threads on here ad infinitum, browse, cogitate, choose, enjoy!

I would go Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 for 18" wheels. It's superb in the wet and still good in the dry. There's relatively little difference in dry performance across tyres but a lot more variance in wet performance. The C63 is a torquey car and the UK is quite wet generally.

The F1 also wears well and is cheap compared to Michelin. The other brands you mention are not great in the wet.

This is a good video and I find my experiences tally with his thoughts.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I would go Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 for 18" wheels. It's superb in the wet and still good in the dry. There's relatively little difference in dry performance across tyres but a lot more variance in wet performance. The C63 is a torquey car and the UK is quite wet generally.

The F1 also wears well and is cheap compared to Michelin.

This is a good video and I find my experiences tally with his thoughts.

Indeed. I have the Assymetric 3 on the E320 CDi, a car with a lot of torque and they have covered 24,000 miles and still have 3.8mm left although they will be changed as soon as the 265/35/18 size are back in UK stock

It looks like only Assymetric 2s are available for the rears 265 40 18

Assymetric 2 have not been available for years, it is now on version 5

I've tended to go for F1's but the latest incarnation (Assym 5) didn't get as good reviews and seemed to be louder and less fuel efficient. So on the E I have 2x F1 Assym 3's (very good) and 2x Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2. The Dunlops I would say feel better than the F1's to be honest.

Have done some digging it looks like I should be able to go up a tyre size on the rim and fit Goodyear Super Sports which would be good.

Fronts are 8.5 on 245/40/18 and would mean going to 255
Rears are 9.5 on 265/40/18 and would mean going to 275

Approx 1.20% change in size. Insurance wants £19 extra. Tires would be £760

The slight increase in size would be welcome especially for the rear as well as the benefits of that tire which in reviews are giving the MPS4S a run for the money.

"Tires would be £760..."

Ouch!!
For 18" wheels....?
Really?

Definitely something about them , discussed to infinity .

Problem with old threads that if you can find the right one, it takes hours of reading the thread to find the answers (mostly contradictory) - Tyres, Snowfoam, Ceramics/Sealers etc......etc

"Tires would be £760..."

Ouch!!
For 18" wheels....?
Really?

Yeah but I dont think thats bad really for that tyre. A set of MPSS on the original size would still be ~650. MPSS on the size up would be ~780 (although rears in that size dont come in XL) XL does push price up.

Assymetrics would be ~500 but as noted the 5s dont come in the same size.

They're a new good year supersport which are better than the asymmetric. Overall good year have great wear, nice mpg, produce less noise and have a great grip on the wet. I could swear sometimes the car feels like it's dragging itself off the road at low speeds on the wet

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

very odd that you've got conti 3s in the front , that's some head scratching mystery right there indeed.

MICHELIN
personally , I think for an all year tyre, the MPs4s would in theory serve the car well (though on 18 inch wheels I think MPs4 is the only tyre you can get rather than the 4s) . I've only had MPSS and Alpin PA4s on my w205 c63s.
MPs4 tyres I have at the front of my E63 and conti 3 at the back . in the cold, the Michelins seems to have far better grip. I have a feeling the MPS4 tyres aren't the quietest.
I stuck on MP4S on my M3 and the tyre was simply great on that car but it has nowhere near the torque of your c63 so cant give a definitive

RIM SIZE
my strong recommendation for you would be to stick with the 18 inch rims as ride comfort will take a beating on 19 rims. the ride is okay on my car with 19s but if I had the choice i would go 18.

CONTI
at MB world , they fit conti 6 tyres on the c63 cars and they are great in terms of grip, though feedback wise maybe the MPSS is better. certainly from a longevity perspective the Michelins will be far better so i recommend not falling for the grip.

OTHER BRANDS
very relevant to your car as it is done on a turbo rwd car. this guy knows his stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom