Tyre or bearing noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fordgt40

Car
C63 AMG estate
After a recent 400 mile trip in my 2012 C63 estate I'm experiencing a cyclic (wow,wow,wow) noise, it seems to be coming from the front, it can only be heard on smooth roads at 20 to 40 mph and then disappears into general road noise, tyres are conti sport 3's on 19's plenty of tread, in balance and not showing any unusual wear pattern, I've swopped them left to right and I've tried swerving left to right to eliminate wheel bearing noise and doesn't make any difference....this has only been noticeable after the long trip and can't be heard from the outside, before it goes back to the dealers any ideas anyone?

I had similar noise on mine and it was down to uneven wear on the inside. And that was normal according to MB. Gets worse as your tyres get older.

I know you say plenty of tread and no unusual wear but have you had a couple of different tyre dealers check?

I had similar noise on mine and it was down to uneven wear on the inside. And that was normal according to MB. Gets worse as your tyres get older.

I know you say plenty of tread and no unusual wear but have you had a couple of different tyre dealers check?

No experts have looked at it yet, the tyres have been on for 18 months, 7,000 miles approx, look perfect, I know the later c63's have more negative camber but I can't see any inside wear to speak of, my instinct is to put new tyres on but I'm a bit reluctant only to experience the same noise.

My C63 was a 2010 and I put new tyres on just before selling it, which cured it. Before that, I had two MB dealers and two tyre dealers look at it. MB said it's OK although others said it isn't. On this forum most suggested I pay a visit to WIM - no way I thought. I just lived with it and put it down to the odd angle (full lock) I reverse out of my drive - prob resulted in uneven wear once the tyres were past 50%. Just another thing I didn't like about my C63 but that's a whole other thread.

put them on the back and see if you still have the noise.

put them on the back and see if you still have the noise.

C63 front and rear wheels are different sizes merc85, the fronts would in theory fit onto the back, but the rears would foul the front wheel arches and possibly the struts too.

The noise does sound like wheel bearings to me, being speed related etc.

Hope you sort it out, one way or another.

The noise does sound like wheel bearings to me, being speed related etc.

Hope you sort it out, one way or another.[/QUOTE]

I've experienced wheel bearing failure before, many years ago I might add, it in all honesty doesn't sound like that but I really don't know the configuration of the C63 wheel bearings, do they have inner and outer or are the taper, I've been in touch with the dealers and they said they can't remember the last time they replaced one on C63.....I'll get it sorted....eventually....one way or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom