Tyre Pressure Monitor Location

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ady

Car
E 220d Estate
Does anyone know where the sensors are for the tyre pressure monitor?
Are they in the valves or strapped around the inside of the wheel?
Basically I will need some new tyres soon and I was wondering if there would be any problems with new valves.

Ady said:
Does anyone know where the sensors are for the tyre pressure monitor?
Are they in the valves or strapped around the inside of the wheel?
Basically I will need some new tyres soon and I was wondering if there would be any problems with new valves.

The antenna is in the wheel arch and the sender is in the valve.

miro said:
The antenna is in the wheel arch and the sender is in the valve.
Cheers for that. I will have to make sure the tyre shop is aware of it before they change the tyres.

The RDK (ReifenDruekkontrolle) senders are extremely expensive - make sure they don't damage them!

Murray Systems said:
The RDK (ReifenDruekkontrolle) senders are extremely expensive - make sure they don't damage them!

MBGTC on eBay have a set of 4 going for less than 100 pounds or so. Pardon me if I didnt pay much attention to the true dollar value. But cheap all the same.

There may be some need to validate the frequency of the senders as there are 2 or 3 kinds.

Last edited:
miro said:
MBGTC on eBay have a set of 4 going for less than 100 pounds or so. Pardon me if I didnt pay much attention to the true dollar value. But cheap all the same.

There may be some need to validate the frequency of the senders as there are 2 or 3 kinds.

Thanks, that’s worth knowing. I had all the tyres replaced yesterday and the guy mentioned that the valves were corroding slightly so he suggested that I used plastic caps instead of the metal ones as they corroded less. He had to use pliers to undo one of the caps. I also applied a smearing of silicon grease to the valves to protect them. If I can get another year out of them then I guess 100 pounds every two years is not so bad.

Prices should come down if all new cars in the US have to have tyre pressure monitors fitted. Not sure if that is law yet

Satch said:
Prices should come down if all new cars in the US have to have tyre pressure monitors fitted. Not sure if that is law yet
Anything with run-flats will have them too.

Satch said:

As stated there are several frequencies - the USA does not use the same frequency as the UK. Also, Siemens is now a supplier so anything made after 2005 may not be the same at all.

I presume these things are battery operated. Anyone got an idea how long the batteries last?

miro said:
7 years.

The Beru website lists them as being for sale.

If the valves last that long I'll be happy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom