Tyre pressure monitors - advice please!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lucky, Sep 24, 2010.

1. lucky

lucky New Member

Car:
    W221 S320L Cdi
    Just ordered facelifted W221 with few options, one of which was the tyre pressure monitoring system.
    No particular reason behind it other than it sounded cool to have it and to be able to monitor your tyre pressure at the flick of a switch.
    Don't really know how reliable these new systems are but it appears that quite a few guys have had a history of problems with them.

After having read those threads I am getting worried, it would be nice to have it but not at the price of having to visit my dealer every so often just to fix something that I can easily do without.

I have only few days to change my mind(before the deadline) regarding options, so could someone in the know care to elaborate on this, I am inclined to just cancell that option but on the other hand it might be they are more reliable nowadays..

Many thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. portzy

portzy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
    Not had any real problems with mine on either cars. What is it that you are getting? is it the monitoring that actually uses pressure loss in the tyre or that which monitors difference in tyre rotation/circumference? a clue would be the price of the option?

Cheers.
    Portzy

3. OP
    OP
    lucky

lucky New Member

Car:
    W221 S320L Cdi
    Thanks Portzy,

Don't really know the principle behind it but there are two different ones.

First one is standard option and it just registers when tyre pressure loss occurs, that one I have on my present car. It has given me few innocent false alarms over the last 3 years but overall I had no trouble with it.

The other one shows your exact tyre pressure in each wheel at any given time(as I understand it) and it is an optional extra. Only couple hundred quid, which is why I initially went for it - another little toy and cheap one.

Only then I read some stuff on various forums and got concerned with reliability but maybe it is only the older models that had trouble, I am hoping some of the guys with newer models will give their input as to the reliability of the system.

Cheers
    lucky

4. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    The first option is simply based on the reading from the ABS sensors, i.e. if one wheel starts spinning differently than the others this tells the system that the wheel has lost pressure. But the system does not know what the actual pressure is, and will not detect pressure loss that occurs simultaneously on both wheels on same axle. Also, it only works well if all four tyres are the same.

The other one actually have air pressure sensors built into each tyre's valve, and transmitting it via RF to the control unit. This system knows precisely the pressure in each tyre. The downside is that these valves can be relatively expensive to replace (I think they cost just under £100 each), and this needs to be done every number of years as a matter of course.

5. C43AMG

C43AMG MB Club Veteran

Car:
    500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ), 2010 Brabus Smart ( Exclusive ) )
    I have them on my W221 and the CL and they work, had a slow puncture on the front tyre and it warned me .

6. mattc

mattc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 E270 avantgarde, 1994 E320 Coupe
    why bother with them. most of us have eyes and can check a tyre with a gauge. if they go wrong what will they cost to fix? there was a thread recently where people were put off an expensive car because the display kept saying the tyre monitor was faulty. Some were assuming because the fault was not fixed what else was being skimped on the car??

7. OP
    OP
    lucky

lucky New Member

Car:
    W221 S320L Cdi

Thanks, nice to hear that. How long have you had them for and have you had any hickups with them?

There are quite a few posts on the net of people having minor trouble with them, I know they won't stop the car or leave you stranded but just the thought of visiting dealers all the time fixing those niggles is enough to make you reconsider.

I hope the troubles with them are past tense with newer models

Many thanks

Cheers

8. OP
    OP
    lucky

lucky New Member

Car:
    W221 S320L Cdi
    Don't know why bother, it just looked like another cheap toy :eek:

Not really bothered with cost to fix since I'll keep the car for around 3 years so all under warranty. What would bother me though is to have to go to stealers once a month wasting my time.

Cheers

9. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    The more expensive system based on the RF sensors in the valves may be considered an unnecessary complication by some.

But the more basic system - based on the ABS sensor input - is essentially free and has no scope for going wrong requiring expensive repairs etc, as it simply displays information already collected by the ABS/ESP anyway - so why wouldn't you want to be notified if the a tyre looses pressure?

10. OP
    OP
    lucky

lucky New Member

Car:
    W221 S320L Cdi

If I understand it properly, the optional system tells you the pressure of each tyre at any given time whereras the standard option is only there to notify you of tyre pressure loss/puncture. I have that option on my car at the moment and I thought it would be nice to monitor each tyre's pressure so if one is slightly deflated you can see it at the touch of the button rather than having to check it on petrol pumps, which I never do - too lazy :eek:

Cheers

11. aircondoc

aircondoc Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2004 R230 SL350
    I bought an aftermarket system after wrecking a tyre without knowing it ( stiff wall low profile, puncture at low speed ) and wouldn't be without it now. Difference is if I get fed up I can remove it anytime, you won't be able to.

12. C43AMG

C43AMG MB Club Veteran

Car:
    500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ), 2010 Brabus Smart ( Exclusive ) )
    No problems. The batteries last 6/7 years, then you have to replace the hole unit £100.00 each !!

13. OP
    OP
    lucky

lucky New Member

Car:
    W221 S320L Cdi
    Thanks, I am not worried so much about replacement, I don't intend to keep the car for longer than 3 years, my concern is reliability.

Guy I spoke to yesterday had Bmw 7 series and his sensors were playing up all the time displaying those nasty false messages on the screen. It has got to be nerve wrecking to have the message appear on the screen while you are doing 90+ on the motorway(German autobahn, of course):eek: even though you are 98% sure it is false, I would like to meet the guy who will not immediately slow down and stop on the hard shoulder to double check his rubber.

Cheers

14. Alps

Alps MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E63 Weistec AMG, E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    ive got them on mine, fine until a few weeks ago when batteries in the sensor went, just need to replace with a new sensor. otherwise no need to worry, its a good system.

15. OP
    OP
    lucky

lucky New Member

Car:
    W221 S320L Cdi
    Thanks Alps, nice to hear another first hand experience!

Cheers

ps. I can see in your car mods an "MB club pedals", what are those and where did you get them from, sounds like you bought them off someone on this forum. Many thanks.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  16. Roygarth

Roygarth Active Member

Car:
    1983 W123 230E
    They are an utter nonsense. All tyres gradually lose pressure. Knowing this one periodically pumps them up.

Different but reminds me of the daftness of the recent trend of having a temperature display on the fridge.

'Glad to see the fridge is still cold darling'

17. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    If you are constantly driving a high powered car at high speed for long distances---on the continent for example ;) seems like a very useful feature to have. For the school run or collecting the shopping from Tesco might be a bit of overkill?

18. C43AMG

C43AMG MB Club Veteran

Car:
    It did save me buying a new tyre ( £250.00 ) when it warned me i was loosing pressure, stopped changed wheel and had puncture repaired.

" Utter nonsense " i don't think so, just a slight generalization by you i think :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010