Tyre Pressure Question when Towing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbenz76

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 AMG Night Edition Premium Plus Saloon
I am going to tow for the first time in about 14 years, and the first time in the E350 in 5 year of owning it.

Moving house and using a borrowed trailer. Nothing too big - trailer is smaller than the car.

Should I inflate the tyres for load or not?

The picture on the fuel flap shows 33psi fronts and 35psi rears for normal use and 36psi fronts and 45psi rears for a full load.

Not sure how applicable they are to towing as I'm assuming a well balanced trailer doesn't put full weight on the car.

Help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

You increase the tyre pressures to improve stability rather than because of increased load. But with a small trailer (in relation to the weight of the car) I wouldn't bother. I tow a 1.5 tonne caravan with our Vito and have never changed the tyre pressures on that (although they are all checked carefully every time before towing).

Thank you for the reply. I am not towing a heavy load but the trailer will be full as will the boot and back of the car.

We will be making multiple trips involving several hours on the motorway each way - almost all the towing will be on the motorway. If I inflate to maximum pressure would you deflate before the return journey or will it be OK to pull the empty trailer back on full pressure tyres?

Don't want to inflate/deflate several times, but also don't want to ruin tyres or worse handling by having the wrong pressure.

Inflate the tyres to that recommended for full load. You will not damage the tyres by running them higher than required but you most definitely run the risk of overheating them, possibly leading to them failing, if you run them "soft"

Thanks both. Much appreciated.

Will inflate tomorrow morning to full load pressures when cold and reduce it back down after my many towing runs.

Yup if you have the car full of stuff (not mentioned originally!) use the higher pressures. You can drive it empty on higher tyre pressures ... you will just have a little less grip (reduced contact area). Better than driving it laden with lower pressures, which would lead to a risk of overheating - particularly on motorway runs, although of course you are limited to 60 mph with the trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom