Tyre pressures for High speed runway blasts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NEMESIS CLS

Car
W218 CLS63 AMG-S
Hi folks
I’m attending the wings and wheels event at Dunsfold on 11th June and will be doing the high speed demo runs done the main runway. What pressures should I have in tyres on the CLS63?? I’m running standard fronts and 295s on the rears

TIA
Louie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never changed my pressures beyond standard prescribed "up to 3 people / no luggage" when doing runway run in my E55K and never had any issue.

Check the inside of your fuel filler cap and it should have pressures for high speed running, certainly does on my C63.

Check the inside of your fuel filler cap and it should have pressures for high speed running, certainly does on my C63.
+1

Just go what it says on the inside of the fuel filler flap. Stay safe :thumb:

Yep and fine for much longer duration high speeds too. Check the condition of your tyres periodically though.

Hi folks
I’m attending the wings and wheels event at Dunsfold on 11th June and will be doing the high speed demo runs done the main runway. What pressures should I have in tyres on the CLS63?? I’m running standard fronts and 295s on the rears

TIA
Louie

No info on tyre pressures, but would be interested to know which day you're going, (your post says 11th, which is a tuesday, but I thought it was on Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th). Not asking to be pedantic, genuinely interested which day you're going as I'm going one of the days (as a spectator) and wondered if I'd be there the same day.

I believe there is information in the user manual on different tyre pressures for high speeds

Thanks to all for your replies[emoji1531][emoji1531]
I’m attending on Saturday 15th June. Why i stated the 11th is a mystery, but was at the end of a chicken oriental working week[emoji849]

Thanks to all for your replies[emoji1531][emoji1531]
I’m attending on Saturday 15th June. Why i stated the 11th is a mystery, but was at the end of a chicken oriental working week[emoji849]

If we end up attending Saturday, I'll keep an eye out for your run up the runway.

My E55 only had regular pressures and the extra required if warm.

My guess is the extra inflation for higher speeds is for when you intend to use the car at those speeds for prolonged periods like on the unrestricted German Autobahns to cope with the extra heat generated.

I would think a short run on an airfield wouldn't necessitate an increase but do what you are comfortable with!

Fuel pump label.jpg

Some interesting information here on speed ratings tests. The things that struck me were that the tests are done at specific pressures and these pressures are probably quite a bit higher than we actually use. The test lasts only 10 mins which is not enough time for the tyre pressure to stabilize. This suggests that sustained driving at or near the max rated speed is unsafe particularly using pressures lower than the specific test pressures.

Barry's Tire Tech

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom