Tyre Query - Goodyear F1 GSD3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r1cey

Car
2001 CLK 230K
Any experience with the above tyre? I've currently got Michelin Pilot Sport 2's on 17" AMG alloys (225/45 ZR17 on front, 245/40 ZR17 on rear), but can't say I'm overly impressed with them in the wet/winter time. I was thinking of changing over to the Good Years, but thought I'd do some research first. The F1's are also a lot friendlier on the wallet!! Have noticed that most Audi TT's are shod with these tyres. Any alternative suggestions?

Thanks,

Great tyre, with excellent grip in the wet. But it is rather soft, so don't expect a long life expectancy. I run them on the 500, and it chews through a set every year ( 12k miles).

Cheers

Martin.

Run my Astra Coupe on GSD-3 - superb all-round performance, and excellent in the wet. Highly recomended. I think I managed over 30k miles before my fronts had to be replaced - and that's on a turbo FWD car - which is excellent!!

If you're looking for wheels exclusively for winter usage, you'd be well served to get a set of cheap alloy or steel rims, and shoe them with some proper winter tyres.

Even in the original 195/65R15 size, the Dunlop Winter Sports I borrowed provide much more grip than the F1's and 235 section Pilot Sports I have on my Brabus alloys....now I just need to wear down the SP Sport01's on my steelies before I can justify winter tyres!

Thanks for the feedback. :)

r1cey said:
Any experience with the above tyre? I've currently got Michelin Pilot Sport 2's on 17" AMG alloys (225/45 ZR17 on front, 245/40 ZR17 on rear), but can't say I'm overly impressed with them in the wet/winter time. I was thinking of changing over to the Good Years, but thought I'd do some research first. The F1's are also a lot friendlier on the wallet!! Have noticed that most Audi TT's are shod with these tyres. Any alternative suggestions?

Thanks,
Might be too late for you but there's a comment on PistonHeads from a guy with an SLK who put F1's on it (after having Pirelli P Zero Rosso's). He took them off again and went back to Pirelli, saying that while the F1's were good when very wet they were hopeless if it was damp and the temp was lower than 10C.

Interesting....

On both the C250 and my previous Civic, I found F1's to be no more useless than any other super sports tyre in the cold and wet. That said, it would make a change, as some of Pirelli's other tyres are completely useless!

Have not replaced my tyres yet, still undecided about which to go for.

As for pirellis, I had them (P6000) on my previous car (an Audi A4, 1.8 turbo sport), and found these to be absolutely useless in the wet, so changed over to Vredestein sportrac 2's which were superb. Slight decrease in dry grip, but definitely better overall (were also winners in an autoexpress tyre test, 2002 or 2003 I think), and were reasonably priced (changed all four, 205/55 R16's for £274 all in).

Regards,

I too am in need of new tyres all round and am uncertain which to choose.

I dont think they do the Vredestien in the correct sizes for our staggered AMG's, I couldn't find them anyway, that was my first choice.

I remembered reading an MB post on Bridgestones I think, that were reckoned to be good, but I haven't been able to find that post. I remember it was a particular one not the latest and greatest offering from Bridgestone.

Any Help will be appreciated guys (and gals).

Ta.

Ive just bought 2 new Michelin pilot premacy tyres for the back of my car and the diference in grip is amasing , ive not seen the traction control light come on yet ... it was never off when i had the conti sport contact 2's on.

I know what you mean, now my traction light is working like the indicators at the moment :devil: , with the damp and cold conditions.

I am currently on well worn Falkens = cheap and noisey + short life.

I am hoping for something a little quieter and longer life. Whether that is possible I dont know :D

If its michelins , costco are the cheapest place for them

I got 245/40/17's for £135 fitted from there

My Wife has Primacy's on the back of her z3, but they are not very old so I can't tell if they are in the long haul or not. Has anyone run them for 12k+??

Rory said:
Might be too late for you but there's a comment on PistonHeads from a guy with an SLK who put F1's on it (after having Pirelli P Zero Rosso's). He took them off again and went back to Pirelli, saying that while the F1's were good when very wet they were hopeless if it was damp and the temp was lower than 10C.

I've got Vredestein Ultracs on my SLK and they seem pretty good in all areas - wet,dry,damp, cold and even have some grip in the snow which is more than can be said for most sports tyres. When they wear out I'll get the same again.

The F1's on my C43 are great, and i will stay with them.

C43AMG, What sort of miles do you get on your c43 from the F1's? Are they toast after 8k?

altreed, i have only had them on since July. Will let you know.

I had them 225/40R18 on my Audi A4 2.5 TDI. Best tyres I have owned bar none. Fitted at 24,000 miles lasted to 49,000 miles. Much less power than your AMG but still torquey enough. Am just about to fit them on the front of my new car same size at £102 each from Elite in Rainham. :bannana:

I put GSD3's on my C43 earlier this year - worlds better that the Continentals I had before. They are MUCH grippier, MUCH quieter, MUCH better in the wet.

I assume they won't last as long but I would rather enjoy 10,000 miles than have a miserable time for 12-13,000.

I only do about 6-7k a year so it'll be a while before I know exact mileage. But they are fantastic

I had F1s fitted to my C43, and after 20K they still had at least 5 mm of thread, albeit a lot of my mileage was motorway. But still excellent, and a very, very good tyre. The only one I will ever fit to any of my cars...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom