Tyre Recommendations for a W204 C200?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Superdunx

Car
2011 W204 C200 Cdi Elegance Blue-Efficiency and 2000 W202 C220 Cdi Classic
I'm sure this is a topic that comes up frequently on the forums, but I am looking to change my tyres for the first time since I bought the car and am seeking some advice/opinions from others on the best options, having narrowed it down to two (Goodyear and Michelin)

The car is a 2011 (pre facelift) C200 Cdi Bluefficiency Elegance (Estate) on 16" standard mercedes alloys, so nothing particularly sporty (family car!) though I can drive enthusiastically when I'm on my own.

When I originally purchased the car the dealer fitted a set of Goodyear Efficientgrips (despite me requesting to fit Michelins as I have had them on previous vehicles). The Goodyears seem to have done about 20k before balding on the outside edges on the front (specifically the offside) and the centres on both rears. They seem to be a good balance of grip, low rolling resistance and are quite quiet (though having not driven the same car on other tyres it is hard to gauge)

So a few questions:

Firstly does anyone know what specific make and model of tyre were fitted from new to this age/spec of C class (none of the dealers seem to know!)

Secondly 20k does seem about right but the 204 seems to scuff front offsides outside edge more than any other C class I've had... is this a common thing other W204 owners find? The Goodyears have quite a rounded tread profile so I'n not sure is that is a contributory factor to the front outer edge wear?

finally has anyone had experience of either Michelin energy saver+ or Goodyear efficientgrips (or better still both) on the same vehicle/wheel combination? If so what would you say are the pros and cons of each?

I'm currently erring toward the Michelins, but the Goodyears are sunstantially cheaper and have the same ratings (bar sound level which is 1dB less than the Michelins)

Any thoughts?

..I forgot to add, size is 205,55,16 and the load/speed rating is 91V.

Cheers.

I have the Michelin Energy Savers and they are ok for me. But I managed 45k on the fronts before replacement was needed and they were scrubbed on the outside edge..

Last ones I had were about £80 fitted from Kwikfit

I have Uniroyals on my w204, same size as yours, 62 quid a corner and they are very good

Michelin Energy savers were fitted to my 2009 W204 when new. The fronts were a little worn at the edges when the car came to me so I immediately rotated them to the rear to even out the wear. I think you really have to do tyre rotation as the rears will always wear in the centre and fronts at the edges. 21 years and several sets of tyres on my 190e taught me that. Mercedes recommended rotation in the handbook.

I've been using Vredstein Sessentas on my w204 for a number of years now, I find them just as good (if not better) than the premium brands.

My w204 came with Michelin HP Primaceys fitted from the factory.

Cant rotate tyres on my car as mines a Sport with the AMG staggered wheels - 17". Not sure if the Vredsteins come on the size that the OP needs?

I'll be trying out the Vredstein Vorti range as these are newer than the Sessentas?

Last edited:
I've been using Vredstein Sessentas on my w204 for a number of years now, I find them just as good (if not better) than the premium brands.

My w204 came with Michelin HP Primaceys fitted from the factory.

Cant rotate tyres on my car as mines a Sport with the AMG staggered wheels - 17". Not sure if the Vredsteins come on the size that the OP needs?

I'll be trying out the Vredstein Vorti range as these are newer than the Sessentas?
....unless I am mistaken u cant rotate tyres on many c class types ?!!.. for example mine has as standard 245,s and 225,s on AMG alloys...I suppose this is the case for 250,350 and 63,s ??....
I know the alloys are the same but rear and front tyres shouldn't be ?...foxy52

If you can get them in the correct size, I'd recommend Goodyear Eagle Asymmetrics - I put the F1 variety on my S204 17's 18 months ago and am really happy with them, at that time they were not available in 16's for my 968 so she has Efficientgrips, but I believe Goodyear are now at the F3 variety of the Eagles, so maybe 16's are now available. We've found they are much much quieter than the Contisports they replaced, yet have good wet and dry grip and seem to be wearing well - although I doubt I've done 10k miles since fitting them!

Look at Maxxis H5. Some on here poo poo the budget brands. But read what they have invested to manufacture this particular tyre.

'A' RATED FOR WET & 'C' RATED ON FUEL EFFICIENCY

Just put two on the back of my E320 CDi and they are brilliant.

Whatever you decide. Try bosstyres.com

Find a local tyre fitter and see what they use on their own cars :)

I've been using Nexen budget brand for ages, and they last well, grip fine and are let down only by being a little heavy and noisy.

Michelin Energy Saver have been my overall favourite but more than double the cost, and for those saying it's insignificant, I go through about four tyres a year, that would be £600 in michelins or £300 in cheapies, and never have I had a budget delaminate, blow or be irreparable in a puncture where a Mich or Conti would be repairable. And yes, I drive a lot, and often quite quickly.

Look at Maxxis H5. Some on here poo poo the budget brands. But read what they have invested to manufacture this particular tyre.

'A' RATED FOR WET & 'C' RATED ON FUEL EFFICIENCY

Just put two on the back of my E320 CDi and they are brilliant.

Whatever you decide. Try bosstyres.com

Don't know the brand, but often cheap tyres work well in a straight line, but very badly on corners. Further they often start with less tread and so don't last

....unless I am mistaken u cant rotate tyres on many c class types ?!!.. for example mine has as standard 245,s and 225,s on AMG alloys...I suppose this is the case for 250,350 and 63,s ??....

Classic / Executive etc models came as standard with same size wheels and tyres all around (205/55xR16).

The Sport / Avangarde models etc came with "staggered' wheels i.e. rears wider than the fronts. In this case the rear wheels themselves are also wider than the front (ie not just the tyre itself) to accommodate the wider tyre.

Last edited:
Fortunately that does not apply to the more standard/basic cars. Same wheel and tyre size all round. 205/55R16 91V
In terms of performance differences between the premier brands is likely to be minimal. What's likely are minor differences in wear V grip characteristics and price. If price is no object then Michelin Goodyear or Continental will fine. If cost is a factor then going for a well chosen/researched tyre from the medium quality brands is fine also with little trade off in performance/mileage many are owned by the same premier name tyre conglomerates anyway. VREDESTEIN, NOKIA,KUMHO, BRIDGESTONE etc etc Avoid cheap Chinese tyres like the plague.

Your W204 suspension characteristics were most likely originally set up/developed pre production using tyres from one of the big three Michelin Goodyear or Continental - stick with them and you will be fine.
ps later W204 cars had their recommended tyre inflation pressures " inflated" This had a detrimental effect on the ride/wear characteristics and I suspect was done to improve their emission figures more than anything else!

Classic / Executive etc models came as standard with same size wheels and tyres all around (205/55xR16).

The Sport / Avangarde models etc came with "staggered' wheels i.e. rears wider than the fronts. In this case the rear wheels themselves are also wider than the front (ie not just the tyre itself) to accommodate the wider tyre.
...I see ..that's obv my car then being a sport .. I knew the tyres were wider back than front obvs.. I didn't know it was a bigger alloy also tks for adv.. Conti or Goodyear ?! I doubt u can buy better...I have the former on mine.. they show hardwearing economical use ... foxy52

s later W204 cars had their recommended tyre inflation pressures " inflated" This had a detrimental effect on the ride/wear characteristics and I suspect was done to improve their emission figures more than anything else!

I believe that the tests were done with higher pressures and users were complaining about fuel consumption. I run my E class and B class at the max load and speed pressure, wear is even (but then I am heavy both in body and right foot) and the only detriment is a little on ride refinement and outright grip.

Fortunately that does not apply to the more standard/basic cars. Same wheel and tyre size all round. 205/55R16 91V
In terms of performance differences between the premier brands is likely to be minimal. What's likely are minor differences in wear V grip characteristics and price. If price is no object then Michelin Goodyear or Continental will fine. If cost is a factor then going for a well chosen/researched tyre from the medium quality brands is fine also with little trade off in performance/mileage many are owned by the same premier name tyre conglomerates anyway. VREDESTEIN, NOKIA,KUMHO, BRIDGESTONE etc etc Avoid cheap Chinese tyres like the plague.

Your W204 suspension characteristics were most likely originally set up/developed pre production using tyres from one of the big three Michelin Goodyear or Continental - stick with them and you will be fine.
ps later W204 cars had their recommended tyre inflation pressures " inflated" This had a detrimental effect on the ride/wear characteristics and I suspect was done to improve their emission figures more than anything else!

The ride is fine on my car with pressures at 36psi all round as recommended.

The ride is fine on my car with pressures at 36psi all round as recommended.
I merely questioned it when the self same car came with normal
30psi front and 33 psi rear MB recommended settings when they first came out. I was coming from the magic carpet ride of a W124 coupe of course which may have coloured my initial impressions. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom