Tyre shiners !?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CaTcH21

Im looking for something that will UV protect BUT give a long lasting shine !
I tried using 303 but they get dull very quick and my car is like sparkling black and with dull tyres its a NO :eek: NO :eek: NO :eek:

Wash tyre with hot soapy water, rinse with fresh water and dry thoroughly.

Buy some of your best "Parade Gloss" black shoe polish and brush onto the tyres using a shoe brush. Allow to dry and then buff with a shoe polishing brush. To enhance, and ad extra shine use a duster with plenty of Armour all cockpit shine on it and apply to the tyres :D :D

Cheap, easy and effective ;)

scotth_uk said:
Meguiar's tyre gel with the sponge applicator is very good.

I agree, Meguairs is one of the best but I find it tends to stay slightly wet/sticky, in the summer you get all the dust stick to it.

By far the easiest is AutoGlym Instant Tyre dressing, just a quick spray even when wet and it does the trick and lasts a good time too.

Avoid Turtle Wax tyre gel/spray - even though it is easy to apply/looks very good and lasts for ages - it actually sprays the side skirts and lower trim panels of ur car with tiny black dots when car is driven.

Flash

Flash said:
Avoid Turtle Wax tyre gel/spray - even though it is easy to apply/looks very good and lasts for ages - it actually sprays the side skirts and lower trim panels of ur car with tiny black dots when car is driven.
I've been using the Turtle Wax stuff, it's pretty good. I've not noticed any spray on the bodywork but then I've not driven the car immediately after application, I've left it for at least half an hour or something :) .

Shude said:
I've been using the Turtle Wax stuff, it's pretty good. I've not noticed any spray on the bodywork but then I've not driven the car immediately after application, I've left it for at least half an hour or something :) .

I have tried leaving it dry and even dabbed it over with a cloth but it still sprays the car - ur colour is dark (black) so less noticeable - however on silver the black dots can easily be seen. I can remember RichardM experienced same problem as I did on his W211 e270 CDI from the tutlewax spray.

Flash

Flash said:
I have tried leaving it dry and even dabbed it over with a cloth but it still sprays the car - ur colour is dark (black) so less noticeable - however on silver the black dots can easily be seen. I can remember RichardM experienced same problem as I did on his W211 e270 CDI from the tutlewax spray.
Bottle's nearly empty now, might not buy it again (only got it because it was cheap ;) )

Its probably alrite for your car as it is black and the spray will not stand out - another advantage of black/dark paintwork is that u cannot see the tiny tar spots as well ;)

Apart from the off spray I initally thought that the Turtlewax stuff is very good/durbale/easy to apply etc.

Flash

I've used three recently:

Autoglym (Spray): really easy to use, simply spray on and leave. Very effective, but it will mark your drive.

ArmorAll (Spray): sprays on as a white foam. NOT recommended. The foam runs down over the wheel and leaves a residue. Brake dust sticks to the residue and leaves the wheels looking terrible.

Turtlewax Extreme Tyre Gel (Wipe on): Fantastic stuff. More time consuming, as you rub it into the tyres with a cloth, but great results and doesn't contaminate your wheels or bodywork. Flash, not noticed the problems you've had with it, and silver would show it ;) Did you use the spray or the gel?

Flyer said:
Flash, not noticed the problems you've had with it, and silver would show it ;) Did you use the spray or the gel?

Hi,

I used the spray - have not tried the gel yet - I too like Shuude still have the spray left to utilise (or actually Shude may even have the gel therefore not notcied/experienced any problems with off spray...)

Flash

Flash said:
I too like Shuude still have the spray left to utilise (or actually Shude may even have the gel therefore not notcied/experienced any problems with off spray...)
I have the spray rather than gel.

Flash said:
I used the spray - have not tried the gel yet

Well, definitely try the gel. I've nearly run out now and am just using the last of the ArmorAll stuff*, but I'm due for a big purchase of car-cleaning stuff and the gel is top of the list.

* I've nearly finished the huge bottle of Wonder Wheels I bought ages ago that only gets used on my g/f's car - even though a product is crap, it's still got to be used until it's all gone :D

Flyer said:
* I've nearly finished the huge bottle of Wonder Wheels I bought ages ago that only gets used on my g/f's car - even though a product is crap, it's still got to be used until it's all gone :D

I'd chuck it if I were you, a lot of people on here have had horror stories after using wonder wheels :eek:

mamoor_dewan said:
I'd chuck it if I were you, a lot of people on here have had horror stories after using wonder wheels :eek:

I know - that's why it isn't used on my car :p

Actually, it's very effective on my g/f's car and has had no effect on the wheels. Vauxhall alloys have a different finish to MB alloys. I'm not saying which is better, but the Vauxhall alloys look brand new when cleaned ... and the MB ones don't :rolleyes:

Another vote here for the Extreme Tyre Gel.

Fabulous stuff. If you wipe it over after applying it you get a matt finish, leave it as is and you get a glossy look.

Not expensive either.

Flyer said:
Well, definitely try the gel. I've nearly run out now and am just using the last of the ArmorAll stuff*, but I'm due for a big purchase of car-cleaning stuff and the gel is top of the list.

If you mean the bright green bottle, then I'm a big fan too ... especially with my not particularly low profile tyres at the moment !! A little goes a long way :D

S.

sym said:
If you mean the bright green bottle, then I'm a big fan too ... especially with my not particularly low profile tyres at the moment !! A little goes a long way :D

S.
Yep, that's the stuff. My previous bottle of it had a gorgeous smell; the newer one ("improved") has lost that smell, but I suppose Zymol compensates for that :D

The green one with the nice smell also works wonders on anything plastic on the interior of the car, plus you get the benefit of the smell too :bannana:

Best stuff is 303 Aerospace Protectant, you can use this on your dash as well and gives you SPS 40 protection. It does need good preparation when used on tyres. You can get this from Mike at the Polishing Company. I am using it to treat all the plastic on the interior of a vehicle.

see www.303products.com for details.

(Polishing company is www.thepolishingcompany.com )

I use Meguiars Extreme Tyre Gel on tyres most of the time it produces and excellent finish. A key thing however is application. Use a small piece of an old sponge to apply this produces great results. Extreme Gel is great because it does not dribble on your alloys and does last well.

I find application is everything with tyre treatments, some go on better with a rag, others a sponge.

Meguiars Extreme needs a sponge.

PS Also check out 303 Fabric protectant, this is amazing stuff for car upholstery, stains and children just fall off. You can also water proof toilet paper and tissues with it if you want to upset someone :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom