Tyre Shops damaging wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Well I’m just about to have my 18 inch wheels go through a full refurb. This got me thinking about future tyre changes, what are my rights if a tyre shop marks/scratches them? How can this be avoided?

Regards,
Abs

Exactly what I did yesterday. Glad I did because afterwards both my rear wheels looked like this.

View attachment 83396

Let’s see what Black Circles say when their customer service department opens on Monday?

Who did you use to fit the new tyres?

Legally your contract is with Black Circles so they should sort it out for you, but I am curious to know who the fitter was.

Who did you use to fit the new tyres?

Legally your contract is with Black Circles so they should sort it out for you, but I am curious to know who the fitter was.

Agree - Black Circles 100% responsible. The tyres were fitted at the drive-through fitting service that Black Circles runs at Tesco in Cambridgeshire. They've been brilliant there for the last 8 years on both my cars. This time, with nice new shiny wheels, they let me down. Unhappy doesn't cover it :-(

Agree - Black Circles 100% responsible. The tyres were fitted at the drive-through fitting service that Black Circles runs at Tesco in Cambridgeshire. They've been brilliant there for the last 8 years on both my cars. This time, with nice new shiny wheels, they let me down. Unhappy doesn't cover it :-(

Is it someone new working there? I have also used them for years without issue although not used them in a while.

Is it someone new working there? I have also used them for years without issue although not used them in a while.

Yes - two guys I've not seen before since I was last there 6 months or so ago. Let's see whether/how they resolve this issue, although I'm not pleased because no repair or compensation will ever be as good as an undamaged wheel. (I checked very carefully before I left too, but the rims had soap on them so I didn't spot these scratches until I cleaned them up at home!).

It is sadly almost an inevitability that modern wheels/tyres will be damaged (if even very slightly) during the process of changing tyres. Even the latest machinery and most skilled operators will struggle not to accidentally damage them. That is simply because you have friction generated by surface to tool contact, mixed in with a healthy dollop of pressure.

It is never a guarantee but a modern, clean shop with modern clean machinery and technicians, is usually a good indicator of a modern clean service, that should provide the best chance of no noticeable damage. The problem is made more difficult with powder coated and painted wheels which are prone to chipping and cracking their coating when the tools make contact. Large wide low profile tyres can also take a fair old bit of man handling to get over the rims (= more chance of damage)

I watch some of these Hot Rod TV shows and they must re-do the wheels on almost every tyre change?

When I had 4 new tyres fitted in Summer 2018 they damaged all the jacking points using their trolley Jack without the appropriate pad.(assumed)

I did not find this out until I changed the Summer Wheels over to the Winter set later in the year.
Ba$****$

Well the only solution is for me to make the 70 mile trip down to WIM for the tyre change when the time comes ;) I can also get the alignment done at the same time by the pros :)

https://blackboots.co.uk/the-boss-touchless-tyre-machine/

Exactly what I did yesterday. Glad I did because afterwards both my rear wheels looked like this.

View attachment 83396

Let’s see what Black Circles say when their customer service department opens on Monday?

That's bad, I hope you get some satisfaction, I'd be real p***** off if they were my wheels.

It is sadly almost an inevitability that modern wheels/tyres will be damaged (if even very slightly) during the process of changing tyres.

Well, that may or may not be true, but it’s not an argument I’ll be accepting from the supplier. Why? Because it’s manifestly possible for car manufacturers to fit tyres without damaging wheels, and the people who refurbish them seem to be able to do it too. So I don’t think it’s unreasonable to hold others to the same standard. Plus I’ve had plenty of occasions when there’s been absolutely no damage at the very same place, so I know they can do it! :)

Having changed far too many low profile tyres than I care to mention, (most of them being truly horrible BMW RFTs) if the machine is set up precisely, the only contact the rim should get, other than the back of the rim being clamped onto the machine, is the tyre itself. There should be no rubbing of anything especially when revolving the rim to either fit or remove the tyre.
Bad, unskilled, rushed work imo!!!
When I had the tyres fitted to my new wheels on the Streetka, the guy took his time, was very precise and as he'd been careful I even paid him a tip.IMG_20190210_181422.jpg

Last edited:
When I had 4 new tyres fitted in Summer 2018 they damaged all the jacking points using their trolley Jack without the appropriate pad.(assumed)

I did not find this out until I changed the Summer Wheels over to the Winter set later in the year.
Ba$****$
Afraid it the old story about peanuts and monkeys

View attachment 83396

I can see the Scratching but I would be more concerned with the fact that the way I see it in the photo the Tyre "Bead" has been "Nicked/Damaged" and is not fully pressed into the Rim! :wallbash::eek:

Reactions: BMF
I can see the Scratching but I would be more concerned with the fact that the way I see it in the photo the Tyre "Bead" has been "Nicked/Damaged" and is not fully pressed into the Rim! :wallbash::eek:

I hadn't noticed the tyre not being seated on the rim properly, wouldn't that cause a vibration/wobble through the steering wheel or brake pedal?

All I can see is one tiny mark, no bigger than a fingernail clipping, and what may be a very slight scuff, I'm afraid. Is there more?

Reactions: BMF
All I can see is one tiny mark, no bigger than a fingernail clipping, and what may be a very slight scuff, I'm afraid. Is there more?

Look at the bottom spoke, about a cm from the edge. There is a score line going up the wheel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom