Tyre Shops damaging wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All I can see is one tiny mark, no bigger than a fingernail clipping, and what may be a very slight scuff, I'm afraid. Is there more?

Inside the highlighted area is a scratch on the rim and also the tyre is not seated correctly on the rim.Wheel damage.jpg

The tyre shop only gets about a tenner per tyre for the fitting.... the staff get even less.

True, but it’s only about 30 mins work, £80ph doesn’t sound too bad for the tyre shop ;)

True, but it’s only about 30 mins work, £80ph doesn’t sound too bad for the tyre shop ;)
30 mins work is about a Fiver for the fitter though.....

30 mins work is about a Fiver for the fitter though.....
I’ve no idea what salary tyre fitters earn but I don’t think that’s an excuse for doing a sub-standard job.

The tyre shop only gets about a tenner per tyre for the fitting.... the staff get even less.

Oh that’s okay then, Carry on and F*** up the jacking points , while you’re at it perhaps a couple of digs in the Alloys .

Oh that’s okay then, Carry on and F*** up the jacking points , while you’re at it perhaps a couple of digs in the Alloys .

Whoa... hold it right there pal.... I didn't f*** up your jacking points.... :)

If this is the damage I wouldn't see it (marked red)
But I would see what looks like a cut on a tyre (marked white)
View attachment 83448

The mark you have identified as a cut I think is a manufacturers mark to indicate where one of the tread wear indicators are across the tread of the tyre.

The damage that the OP is referring to is the long scratch around the circumference of that part of the wheel not the small mark on the edge of the rim although it may be part of the total damage.

Whoa... hold it right there pal.... I didn't f*** up your jacking points.... :)

No one is suggesting you did Pal, Perhaps it was your comments on low paid tyre fitters
Not carrying out work to the their best ability because of low pay

Last edited:
I hadn't looked closely at the long scratch at all; at a casual glance it looks to be part of the design of the wheel.

DOH! NOW I understand, Mr. Fawlty....

I hadn't looked closely at the long scratch at all; at a casual glance it looks to be part of the design of the wheel.

DOH! NOW I understand, Mr. Fawlty....

I thought that too until I downloaded the pic and enlarged it, the small nicks on the rim edge (unless they are brand new rims) are on most rims if you look close enough.

No one is suggesting you did Pal, Perhaps it was your comments on low paid tyre fitters
Not carrying out work to the their best ability because of low pay
I didn't quite say that... my comment was that they are lowly paid, in response to another post.

I wasn't suggesting however that employees on low pay should not take pride in their work and do the best job they can. This is exactly what I did at the beginning of my professional career......

You had a career f*cking up people's alloys.....?

I think he means he took pride in his work even early on his career when he was earning less.

I can see the Scratching but I would be more concerned with the fact that the way I see it in the photo the Tyre "Bead" has been "Nicked/Damaged" and is not fully pressed into the Rim! :wallbash::eek:

Well I hadn't noticed that on the photo - thank you for pointing it out! However, I've been and looked carefully this morning and it turns out to be a trick of the light combined with the way the tyre deforms under the weight of the vehicle. It's actually sitting fine on the rim, thankfully! Thought I had a bigger problem there for a minute, as you suggested!

(The "nick", as someone else suggested, is actually a moulded marking on the tyre, so also OK.)

Black Circles have yet to respond to my customer services email...

Reactions: BMF
They should use ptfe protectors to avoid any lever/tool touching the rim.
Lazy fitter

Reactions: BMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom