Tyre sidewall damage - help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C300

Car
merc c250 cdi
Hi

Accidently hit a high curb and it damaged the passenger side front tyre 2 months ago
This morning, drove to work and there was a burning smell coming from the tyre....

Should I change it asap. Need some advice please however stupid I sound..

Thanks.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 47
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 42
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 38
I would change that tyre without delay !!

There is no real technical reason to change the tyre, just the outer protective rubber is damaged.

The burning smell, if actually coming from the tyre, will be as a result of being run under-inflated.

Ok thanks guys :(
Sorry if my post was silly.

There is no real technical reason to change the tyre, just the outer protective rubber is damaged.

The burning smell, if actually coming from the tyre, will be as a result of being run under-inflated.

i only filled it up with air a few days ago mate...

So does it need some air? or do I need a change in tyre..?

I just got it changed mate. Got a part worn continental tyre for 40..

But this burning smell is still there from that same wheel. Not coming from any other wheels.. Any ideas?

Well that depends on what is burning. As DM says if it's the tyre then it would either be under inflated or rubbing. When you clobbered the kerb you may have damaged you suspension allowing the tyre to rub on full lock. You may have some inner arch rubbing.

You need to have a look when the smell is there and see what is causing it. Are you certain there is no smell from your other wheels?

Is the wheel itself getting warmer than the other wheels? You may have a seized brake.

Well I had a flat tyre the other week. Rear passenger side. Burning smell was coming from that wheel.. So I got that changed
Now that exact same smell was coming from the front driver side wheel. Which I have changed now. Il have to drive home and check if there's any smell again. God knows why that smell is still coming.

Did you look at the 'inside' of the old tyre to see if it was catching something.
Remove & check 'new' one for signs of rubbing, it may not sound/feel like it's against anything when car is jacked up.

Brakes sticking???

DPf regeneration perhaps - which would be unconnected to tyres.

Is the fan running on when the engine is switched off?

A 'burning' smell from the rear could well be the DPF as above. symptoms are heat and a caramel kind of smell. Also the car idles higher and holds gears longer whilst this in operation. Is normal and not a problem.

id get it on a ramp and get it checked, you may have knocked something else that is rubbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom