Tyre Size Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NEMESIS CLS

Car
W218 CLS63 AMG-S
Hey Guys, Happy New Year to all of you!!!
I am about to order a set of Michelin PS4S for the CLS63. I want to slightly increase the profile from 30 to 35 on the rears and also width from 285 to 295. For the fronts, i plan to keep at 255, but to compensate for the change n profile on the rears want to go from 35 to 40. This makes 295/35/19 (R) 255/40/19 (F)

I know a few of you have increased the read width, but wondered if anyone has gone for slightly higher profiles to give a tad softer ride on our shyte roads??:wallbash:

Any help or advice is appreciated:cool:

You can't use them , only as a guide because tyres from make to make vary from the stated size .

I think you’d be fine with those increases for rolling radius. But my concern would be the tyres rubbing. Are you lowered and have spacers? I am, and run 295/30’s on the back, plus run the std 255/35’s on the front and with the spacers fitted there isn’t much of a gap when turning the wheel, therefore think they may rub.

Wouldn’t worry too much about the size differences between manufacturers, they all have to be almost identical due to manufacturing standards they have to follow.

I think you’d be fine with those increases for rolling radius. But my concern would be the tyres rubbing. Are you lowered and have spacers? I am, and run 295/30’s on the back, plus run the std 255/35’s on the front and with the spacers fitted there isn’t much of a gap when turning the wheel, therefore think they may rub.

Wouldn’t worry too much about the size differences between manufacturers, they all have to be almost identical due to manufacturing standards they have to follow.
Cheers Jules,
I was going to PM you as i know you increased the rear widths. Yeah I am lowered 20mm and spaced 20mm rear and 15mm front. Think i'll go with the rear increased sizes but keep the fronts at 2955/35 to avoid potential rubbing issue.?

Not sure if just increasing the rears will work. There are a few threads stating that if the variance of thr rolling radius between front and rear is not consistent with the standard set up, then the car detects it and gives a warning / limp at high speed.

I’ve only increased the rears to 295/30 and not touched the fronts, but have had no issues even at 200mph. Maybe you’ll get away with 295/35?

Ah i see - Mmmm dont really want to have potential issues, especially as i am looking to get the tyres fitted the day before i blat dow to Affalterbach for my AMG Factory Tour!! In that case i think i'll just increase rear width and leave profiles as is. Did you go PS4S all round? Also was there a noticable ride quality difference? I am looking at MPSS all round as i cant seen to find PS4S on Black Circles for the rears @ 295/30/19??

Last edited:
Some HERE, though make sure that you're sitting down before clicking as they aren't the cheapest. :)

Incidentally, I agree with Jules that it could throw a lot of sensors out by changing width and profile. There's also the possibility that they could catch on the arches though this would only be realised by fitting.

According to THIS CALCULATOR, there will be over 5% difference when altering profiles, though less than 1% by just altering width.

Thanks Dave - Yep not cheap (£904) fitted, but if ya wanna play ya gotta pay!!! So did you both MPSS or PS4S or a mix of both?
I will just increase the rear width to 295 and leave fronts as OE

Here is what I am looking to go for - Defo cant find 295/30 in PS4S :-(

Michelin Pilot Super Sport
255/35 R19 Y (96)
Car Tyre - Reinforced

295/30 R19 Y (100)
Car Tyre - Reinforced

Slight change - found PS4S for fronts so going

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S
255/35 R19 Y (96)
Car Tyre - Reinforced

295/30 R19 Y (100)
Car Tyre - Reinforced

Comments??

I can only comment on the Pilot Sport 4 S as I have them on my current car.

Possibly the best tyres I've had on anything and they will be being replaced like for like. :D

Cheers Dave
I’ve heard nothing but praise for these so ordered accordingly. Shame I can’t get them in OE size or 295/30 for rears so will settle for MPSS. Had these on my GTR all round and they were excellent[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have MPSS on the rear and had PS4S on the front.

To be honest the rear grip is not great in this weather, but with so much power I guess it would be the same with any brand.

On Wednesday I popped some Goodyear Eagle F1 Assym 3’s in given the great reviews they are getting.

When the reara are worn I’m hoping it’s nicer weather so may go F1 or R888’s, or AD08’s, or Sport Cup 2’s.....

I am sure the sport 4s are great tyres but if you are looking for something more comfortable/quiet as you seem to be, then I would wholeheartedly recommend either Dunlop maxx rt or Goodyear as 3. I am running the Goodyear AS 3s on my 219 and the difference in overall comfort from both the Michelins and Pirelis is very significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom