Tyre Size anomaly summer/winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John757

Car
E350CDi Coupe , Gwagen 280GE , SL55 AMG , Audi SQ5 Quattro
I have a C207 E350CDi coupe 2010 (AMG ) and have 235/35/R19 fronts and 255/30/R19 rears however I cannot seem to find 255/30/R19 all season tyres for the rear or even winter tyres in this size.. the closest is 255/35/R19. Will this 5% larger rear cause me any issues regarding TC and ABS etc? (Oddly factory the wheel rims front and rear are the same size)
This is the two sizes side by side..

Screenshot 2021-12-21 17.15.41.png

I would say I have run a 245/35/R19 rear winter tyre for a few years with no issues but felt the correct width would be a better all season tyre.

Strictly speaking, the 35 profile tyres may make your speedometer illegal (depending from where the reading is taken) as it may indicate less than the speed at which you're travelling.

It may well throw ABS and traction control errors too, as you rightly surmised. Just put 235/35 front and rear.

What is recommended in the handbook?

Edit - just looked in the handbook for our S205 and it gives a load of background on tyre specs but doesn’t specify sizes.

From memory, I think non-staggered 17” rims are spec’d for winter tyres.

Last edited:
Quite frequently Mercedes advocate using the same width of wheel front and back with winter tyres- this means reducing the tread width of the rear tyres to the same tread width [with suitable wheel offset] as the front. Most German drivers have complete sets of winter tyres/wheels because they must be fitted by law in the winter months. Hence the lack of wider staggered winter tyre tread widths.

Thanks for the replies..
the manual predictably does not show winters for 19inch wheels20211221_191818.jpg20211221_191759.jpg20211221_191750.jpg20211221_191745.jpg

If you don’t want to buy a separate set of winter wheels with the recommended winter wheel/tyre sizes, then…

…do you know the width of the front and rear wheels? Assuming that the rears can take them, fit the same size tyres as fitted to the front wheels, on the rear wheels.

If you don’t want to buy a separate set of winter wheels with the recommended winter wheel/tyre sizes, then…

…do you know the width of the front and rear wheels? Assuming that the rears can take them, fit the same size tyres as fitted to the front wheels, on the rear wheels.
Both rims are 8.5 j , 235 35 19 all season is the way to go. Something like Bridgestone weather control Evo.

Both rims are 8.5 j , 235 35 19 all season is the way to go. Something like Bridgestone weather control Evo.
8.5j front and rear and the OP said he has staggered tyres. Is that how Mercedes supply them when new?

8.5j front and rear and the OP said he has staggered tyres. Is that how Mercedes supply them when new?

Seems many "207" owners have same rim width front and rear but staggered tyre set up. Whilst strange to me - must be a thing, given number of owners with staggered tyres on this specific model.

As an aside, a 8.5J rim will take 225 thro 255 width tyre.

Seems many "207" owners have same rim width front and rear but staggered tyre set up. Whilst strange to me - must be a thing, given number of owners with staggered tyres on this specific model.

As an aside, a 8.5J rim will take 225 thro 255 width tyre.
Strange indeed! 👍🏻

I used to run 225 winter on an 8.5j rear wheel and it looked a little stretched but was absolutely fine and performed as if it was fitted to a 7.5j wheel.

The OP has 235 tyres so it ought to be fine especially if the fronts are already 235 on an 8.5j wheel. 👍🏻

Correct. On the c207 anyhow , older c207 had staggered wheels not just tyres,I think as I see alot running 265/275 on the rears

Yes.. (C207 2010 on factory rims and tyre sizes) I have the same 8.5J rims front and rear.. with staggered tyres ;~ 235 35 fronts and 255 30 rears... the fronts are a stretch to the rim edge and in my opinion were a poor choice by MB not to fit a narrower rim (Cost saving?) everyone who sees my fronts think the tyres look a bit stretched out to the rim... I really don't want the same look at the rear.. I will attach pics of summer tyres currently fitted...
I have a set of winters that I have been using for the last few years 235/35/19 fronts and 245/35/19 rears.... I prefer the look of the 255 summer rears.. but am fed up with two sets of tyre changes a year... and the corresponding teeth grinding watching the haphazard wheelman changing them over.... I have just had my wheels refurbed/diamond cut so I was going to go the all season tyre route... but don't want the 'wrong' tyres on the back all year round... I dont mind going wider to 265/30 winter rear... but that size is unavailable either... which is irritating. Summers on here ; Front 20211222_104047 (1).jpg

and rears
20211222_104053 (1).jpg

Without the extra bead protection built into the tyres I chose... the original Bridgstones looked just wrong at the front.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom