Tyre size for my W114 coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
The standard wheels are 14inch 5.5 - originally the tyres were 175 14 s (yes, no second number).

I am able to fit 195 70s to these, but I have the option of some rare 15 inch 5.5 wheels - what tyre size should I look at to remain the same diameter etc as the 195/70s?

(I know nothing about this!)

195/65/15 is what you want.

What are the part numbers on the 5.5Jx15" wheels, I was not aware that any were produced, I thought they were all 6 or 6.5J?

Last edited:
They are W115 ambulance wheels - 1234001002 (not easy to read so that might be a bit wrong). No doubt they aren't in any way shape or form rare, but they are the old pattern wheels.

You haven't got any W100 stainless steel wheel trims knocking around for not a lot have you? :D

You haven't got any W100 stainless steel wheel trims knocking around for not a lot have you? :D

Haha. The difficulty, as you know, is getting them to affix to the rim . The standard clips bottom out and hold the trims 10mm away from the rim edge. The W100 must have used very deep dish rims. My trims are presently in a machine shop in Leicester getting tags welded to them in an attempt to get them secure and in the proper place.

Last edited:

Oh yeah, been stockpiling them ;)

I know they don't have quite the same look but what about the standard W123 limo trims?

Having forgotten my password I don't know what the EPC lists as the part number for the 600 steel wheels.

My thesis remains that using the later steel wheel pattern is causing part of the problem, not the trims, which anyway sit proud by about 6mm on the standard 14s. This chap used the W115 ambulance wheels with 15 inch trims and they look alright to me!

x1a2053.jpg

Mercedes Motoring - 1973 250C Gasoline Coupe

Oh yeah, been stockpiling them ;)

I know they don't have quite the same look but what about the standard W123 limo trims?

If they are for 15s bring them on! Got any photos?

Which, by a strange quirk of fate, is the tyre size for a W124

Nick Froome

Which is very good - loads more tyre options than 14s, which now are mostly van tyres, and cheaper too!

If you paint your car that colour Charles and put that oxblood upholstery in it I'll let you keep that bottle of wine. :):)

600 STEEL WHEELS 6.5KX15H 2 part no A100 400 0502

hubcap A1154010424 also listed for the early SL/SLC as you know.

note this means they will have a different rim lip/tyre bead profile from a J wheel and thus not advised except with the appropriate tyre bead.
see
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

beadprofile.gif

Last edited:
My thesis remains that using the later steel wheel pattern is causing part of the problem, not the trims, which anyway sit proud by about 6mm on the standard 14s. This chap used the W115 ambulance wheels with 15 inch trims and they look alright to me!

I based my comment on the depth dimensions of said rims latterly provided by your good self. If the clips hit the inside of my rims for a given depth they will surely do the same for yours if the depth is the same; irrespective of shape or form? 6mm protrusion may be acceptable if rim protector tyres are used but 10mm looks plain silly. imho;)

If they are for 15s bring them on! Got any photos?

They are the exact same style as the usual W115/W123 14" trims, just larger.

A1154010424 is the part number for them as well. Just having a look on the EPC...

The W100 trims have a deeper look to them from pictures, but must be an illusion as EPC tells me they are the same part number.

In summary, The 6.5KX and the 5.5J 15" wheels look like they all had the same trims fitted from the factory.

We have a set of 5.5Jx15" steel wheels in stock. Shows how little I know!
Ours are part numbered A1154001402. From checking the EPC on this part number, it appears that A1154001102, A1154001402 and A1154001502 were all superseded by the A1234001002 part number.

We only have 3 of the 15" trims, not that many years ago we had a reasonable stack of them on the shelf. We went through a period of breaking many, many W123 and W115 limos.

Many thanks to Junior Mercman (V12) who has found me the three trims and have a look at the condition. To complete the set I've found some new for much less than official suppliers. So, now to sort out the lowering springs and spring pads for the best height, plus the necessary Bilsteins, and the suspension and wheels are now close to full definition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom