Tyre size ? S204

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by Alscoob, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Alscoob

Alscoob Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    mercedes s204
    I have some nice C63 AMG 18" wheels, rears are 9" anyone know what is the best tyre size for this?

Current 81/2" rears have 255x35x18 so should I go 265x35x18 so there is a bit more width to the tyre? maybe help a little to protect the rim? or just stick with the 255. Fronts have Conti 5's but these are not available in the 265 size, so if wider would need Conti 3's - is there a down side to the mix of tyres front & rear?

Thanks

2. DSM10000

DSM10000 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, C320 saloon MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    f you are increasing the wheel and tyre diameter you need ensure you maintain the rolling radius as closely as possible

Search on line for tyre size calculators and you can see what will fit.

Mixing tyres on front and rear may not suit the purists but is not a problem, just do not mix them on the same axle.

3. OP
    OP
    Alscoob

Alscoob Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    mercedes s204
    Thanks, not really increasing tyre / wheel size as current ones are 18" it was more whether 265 is better on 9" as opposed to 255 section. I noted that you find both sizes of tyre on the C63.

Agree would never mix tyres on the same axle.

4. DSM10000

DSM10000 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, C320 saloon MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    Sorry, my error, reading the post on my phone I thought you were moving to 19"

My point still stands though, if you increase the tyre width you ofen need to change the tyre profile (or aspect ratio as it s sometimes called) to ensure the same tyre diameter. The "35" is the tyre wall height expressed as a percentage of width.

Tyre Size Calculator - Legal Requirements - Etyres

You can play around with this calculator and see what combination gives you the closest overall rolling radious etc to the original fitting :)

1 person likes this.
Tags: